Projections

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I don't see the suter\kubina comparison, really.

I think his UPSIDE is a Rob Blake\Gary Suter type defenseman--vicious hitter with a nice offensive game..but a decent base comparison is someone like Kyle McClaren\Ed Jovonovski

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Jeff Carter (Mats Sundin)
Dustin Brown (grittier Glen Murray)
Steve Bernier (Todd Bertuzzi)
Mark Stuart (Adam Foote)
Ryan Kesler (John Madden)
Mike Richards (Mike Peca)

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
bleedgreen said:
i think the point of this guys list was to see what other people what do if they were to make a list. instead of ripping his list - why not make your own? i think that was the point here. at least he made an effort.

YES, that was the point of the post, but I don't mind people ripping my list. However, people also need to be realistic. Not every 1st rounder will become a superstar. Prove: all the drafts prior to the 2003 entry draft ;)

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
mercury said:
From the more prospect-knowledgable Flyers fans, it seems the most common comparisons I see for Carter and Richards are Sundin and Ricci, respectively. Don't know if they will reach those levels in production, just that those are the closest style-wise.
I've heard about those two as well, just tried to do something different with those two.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
nomorekids said:
I don't see the suter\kubina comparison, really.

I think his UPSIDE is a Rob Blake\Gary Suter type defenseman--vicious hitter with a nice offensive game..but a decent base comparison is someone like Kyle McClaren\Ed Jovonovski

Well, that's upside. However, I'm not listing upside. I'm listing what I think they will realistically turn into. Ryan Suter is not nearly as physical as McClaren though. Furthermore, comparing him to Blake, Suter (uncle), Jovocop is fine for upside projections, but realistically, that's suggesting he's a future hall of famer ;)

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
jtuzzi21 said:
Jeff Carter (Mats Sundin)
Dustin Brown (grittier Glen Murray)
Steve Bernier (Todd Bertuzzi)
Mark Stuart (Adam Foote)
Ryan Kesler (John Madden)
Mike Richards (Mike Peca)

Wow, this is turning into a REALLY good draft. All the mid-round picks are turning into absolute superstars. Already 6 superstars from this list. This will be the best draft ever hands down.

Clearly this is all upside, not realistic projections.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
kremlin said:
Wow, this is turning into a REALLY good draft. All the mid-round picks are turning into absolute superstars. Already 6 superstars from this list. This will be the best draft ever hands down.

Clearly this is all upside, not realistic projections.
I am doing comparisons, like playing styles. That is easier to do then projections....these players play similar styles to the guys in the brackets...not necessarily the projection.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
kremlin said:
Well, that's upside. However, I'm not listing upside. I'm listing what I think they will realistically turn into. Ryan Suter is not nearly as physical as McClaren though. Furthermore, comparing him to Blake, Suter (uncle), Jovocop is fine for upside projections, but realistically, that's suggesting he's a future hall of famer ;)

I think he's just as physical as McClaren, actually. His physical game is overlooked, and some people make the error of calling him an offensive d-man simply because his skating\passing is so good. I realize that Suter\Blake are likely "upside" predictions, but I think Jovo is far from a hall of fame d-man, and Suter can\should be just as good.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I think it's pretty disrespectful, the responses this thread drew... I like some of the comparisons, some I don't, but let's try to respect it, no? Plus all this ******** about playing styles, upside, whatever - to his credit, the title does say "PROJECTIONS."

Last edited:

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
BobMarleyNYR said:
I think it's pretty disrespectful, the responses this thread drew... I like some of the comparisons, some I don't, but let's try to respect it, no? Plus all this ******** about playing styles, upside, whatever - to his credit, the title does say "PROJECTIONS."

Exactly seems like a lot of people think that every player drafted in the first round in 2003 is gonna be a sure fire Super-Star and future member of the HHOF or at least 20 of the 30.

maximil

Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
Hey that's not too bad. It doesn't make me think that you know the prospects your compaing people to but I liked looking at it.

I think your expectations might be more accurate than your comparisons.

Here's my reply:

Bad:
1 Marc-Andre Fleury (Jocelyn Thibault)

Bad:
2 Eric Staal (Dough Weight)

Bad:
3 Nathan Horton (Jeff O'Neill)

Okay:
4 Nikolai Zherdev (Alex Kovalev)

Fine with me:
7 Ryan Suter (Pavel Kubina)

Bad: I think Adam Foote with less bite and better agility
8 Braydon Coburn (Chris Phillips)

Bad: Well, maybe not that bad I really like Souray
9 Dion Phaneuf (Sheldon Souray)

Maybe:
10 Andrei Kostitsyn (Aleksey Morozov)

Would that be a bad thing?:
11 Jeff Carter (Jason Arnott)

Bad: think Eric Cole
13 Dustin Brown (Scott Thornton)

I like this one as a sharks fan:
16 Steve Bernier (Mark Bell)

I think Zach Parise has much more finesse:
17 Zach Parise (Chris Drury)

Gratton was a higher pick (stranger things have happened):
19 Ryan Getzlaf (Chris Gratton)

Don't see it:
20 Brent Burns (Tom Poti)

You might not be far off on production:
25 Anthony Stewart (Oleg Kvasha)

Bad:
26 Brian Boyle (Landon Wilson)

Bad: I see him more as a Paul Renhiem sp?
27 Jeff Tambellini (Brian Gionta)

I like this comparison cause I think Eaves is awesome:
29 Patrick Eaves (Michael Peca)

Last edited:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
1 Marc-Andre Fleury (Jose Theodore)
2 Eric Staal (Ron Francis)
3 Nathan Horton (Todd Bertuzzi)
4 Nikolai Zherdev (Alexei Kovalev)
5 Thomas Vanek (A healthy Martin Straka)
6 Milan Michalek (Martin Rucinsky)
7 Ryan Suter (Wade Redden)
8 Braydon Coburn (Darius Kasparaitis)
9 Dion Phaneuf (Chris Pronger in 2000)
10 Andrei Kostitsyn (Alexei Yashin)
11 Jeff Carter (Jeff O'Neill)
12 Hugh Jessiman (Brad Isbister)
13 Dustin Brown (Kyle Calder)
14 Brent Seabrooke (Chris Phillips)
15 Robert Nilsson (Jonas Hoglund)
16 Steve Bernier (Eric Daze)
17 Zach Parise (Mike Comrie)
18 Eric Fehr (Mark Parrish)
19 Ryan Getzlaf (Jeff O'Neill)
20 Brent Burns (Darryl Sydor)
21 Mark Stuart (Chris Chelios)
22 Marc-Antoine Pouliot (Mike Ribeiro)
23 Ryan Kesler (Trevor Linden)
24 Mike Richards (Mike Peca)
25 Anthony Stewart (2003 John Leclair)
26 Brian Boyle (Chris McAllister)
27 Jeff Tambellini (Martin St. Louis)
28 Corey Perry (Andrew Brunette)
29 Patrick Eaves (Chris Gratton)
30 Shawn Belle (Brent Sopel)

Last edited:

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site
kremlin said:
Nah, Langkow was a MUCH better player than Richards at the age of 20. Langkow might be his upside, but I wouldn't bet my money on it.
Richards is closer to Peca in comparison, Lankow is no leader and plays soft defence. He is the opposite of Lankow.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Don't have time to go through all of these. Kudos to Kremlin for the effort. We'll have our disagreements, but that's the joy of the game.

2. Eric Staal. Staal is one of the most complete prospects I've ever seen. Great talent, excellent defensive awareness, excellent leadership qualities. I rarely compare a kid to an HHOF/future HHOF, but the potential is there for a Ron Francis-type of player.
6. Milan Michalek. I don't think he has Friesen's all-world wheels or shot. I'm concerned Michalek may prove to be a defensive forward, if he ever gets healthy. Won't ever be the player Friesen was six or seven years ago.
7. Ryan Suter. If Suter becomes Pavel Kubina, I'll be disappointed. The potential is there to be one of the top-10 d-men in the league. The best American defenceman in the past decade.
9. Dion Phaneuf. When people talk Stevens comparisons, it's Stevens from the Devils 2000 Cup run: a dominant shut-out defenceman capable of 30-40 points, not the ultra-dominant Stevens who scored 60-70 points several times.
11. Jeff Carter. Carter's more of a Keith Primeau from five years ago: a strong, physical centre capable of 70+ points, and more consistent than Arnott.
13. Dustin Brown. He has a lot of good attributes - great speed, hands and shot - but debateable hockey sense. Will drop him to a second liner. Much better scorer than Scott Thornton.
17. Zach Parise. I know I'll draw flack from Hab fans, but Parise reminds me a lot of Koivu in terms of natural ability, fearless mentality and leadership.
19. Ryan Getzlaf. Getzlaf is Gratton? Don't insult the poor kid.
24. Mike Richards. Richards is the type of player who will captain an NHL team to a Cup. All heart. All grit. And reasonable skill, too, capable of 50-60 points a year.
25. Anthony Stewart. I like Stewart a lot. A potential second line power forward, but he showed enough talent and toughness at last year's WJC to leave me thinking possible first liner.
27. Jeff Tambellini. Reminds me a lot of Geoff Courtnall: great skater, great shot, but streaky.
30. Shawn Belle. Nolan Baumgartner failed not because of talent or heart, but because his development was ruined by three major shoulder operations. Belle may be a David Tanabe - very fast but limited hockey sense - or, if he learns to play within his limitations, could be a top-three speed defenceman, a la Hedican and Tim Gleason.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
BobMarleyNYR said:

I was just hoping for some other guys to come up with lists ;)

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Colt.45Orr said:
Bernier (Isbister)
Getzlaf (Elias/Holik)

Holik projection of Getzlaf I can see, but Elias is a much more flashy player. Do you really think Getzlaf will be like that? He surely doesn't have the footspeed of Elias and I think he's more a guy that will run over people to score, instead of run by with slick moves.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
Don't have time to go through all of these. Kudos to Kremlin for the effort. We'll have our disagreements, but that's the joy of the game.

Well, disagreements are cool, as they generate discussion

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
maximil said:
Hey that's not too bad. It doesn't make me think that you know the prospects your compaing people to but I liked looking at it.

I think your expectations might be more accurate than your comparisons.

Here's my reply:

Bad:
1 Marc-Andre Fleury (Jocelyn Thibault)
Why is this such a bad comparison? Both very athletic and I think they play a similar style. Clearly, the Pens hope he'll turn out better.

Bad:
2 Eric Staal (Dough Weight)

Why is that so bad? I thought I'd throw out a different name than the often mentioned Ron Francis. I think Staal is pretty much a very good playmaking pivot, who like Weight, might not score that many goals.

Bad:
3 Nathan Horton (Jeff O'Neill)

Both goalscorers who play with reckless abandon...is that so bad of a comparison?

Okay:
4 Nikolai Zherdev (Alex Kovalev)

Fine with me:
7 Ryan Suter (Pavel Kubina)

Bad: I think Adam Foote with less bite and better agility
8 Braydon Coburn (Chris Phillips)

Bad: Well, maybe not that bad I really like Souray
9 Dion Phaneuf (Sheldon Souray)

Maybe:
10 Andrei Kostitsyn (Aleksey Morozov)

Would that be a bad thing?:
11 Jeff Carter (Jason Arnott)

No, not at all. I think they're very similar. Much safer projection than Sundin / Thornton.

Bad: think Eric Cole
13 Dustin Brown (Scott Thornton)

Yeah, I actually was thinking Cole as well.

I like this one as a sharks fan:
16 Steve Bernier (Mark Bell)

Can also be the 2nd coming of Brad Isbister or Owen Nolan. I decided to pick something in between, as in Mark Bell.

I think Zach Parise has much more finesse:
17 Zach Parise (Chris Drury)

As in Daniel Briere?

Gratton was a higher pick (stranger things have happened):
19 Ryan Getzlaf (Chris Gratton)

Poor man's Gratton maybe.

Don't see it:
20 Brent Burns (Tom Poti)

Well, what do you see then ;)

You might not be far off on production:
25 Anthony Stewart (Oleg Kvasha)

Bad:
26 Brian Boyle (Landon Wilson)

Bad: I see him more as a Paul Renhiem sp?
27 Jeff Tambellini (Brian Gionta)

I like this comparison cause I think Eaves is awesome:
29 Patrick Eaves (Michael Peca)

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:

2. Eric Staal. Staal is one of the most complete prospects I've ever seen. Great talent, excellent defensive awareness, excellent leadership qualities. I rarely compare a kid to an HHOF/future HHOF, but the potential is there for a Ron Francis-type of player.

I agree, just thought I'd throw out another name, who's mainly a playmaker and not so much of a goal scorer.

6. Milan Michalek. I don't think he has Friesen's all-world wheels or shot. I'm concerned Michalek may prove to be a defensive forward, if he ever gets healthy. Won't ever be the player Friesen was six or seven years ago.

I was thinking more that both have good speed, although Friesen's might be superior. Both have good size. Friesen is inconsistent production wise and very streaky and I think that's a label I'd put on Michalek as well. But yeah, a defensive player projection is not out of the question either.

7. Ryan Suter. If Suter becomes Pavel Kubina, I'll be disappointed. The potential is there to be one of the top-10 d-men in the league. The best American defenceman in the past decade.

The Kubina of TB's playoff run is not that bad. In fact, I think he was an All-star last year. Perhaps his upside is higher, but I don't think the Predators would feel to sorry if the end up with a Kubina.

9. Dion Phaneuf. When people talk Stevens comparisons, it's Stevens from the Devils 2000 Cup run: a dominant shut-out defenceman capable of 30-40 points, not the ultra-dominant Stevens who scored 60-70 points several times.

I got sick of the Stevens comparison, so I threw out something else. Perhaps Kyle McLaren would have been better than Souray?

11. Jeff Carter. Carter's more of a Keith Primeau from five years ago: a strong, physical centre capable of 70+ points, and more consistent than Arnott.

That's possible, though I'd rather have an Arnott clone than a Primeau. Also, I think Carter is a much better playmaker than Primeau. Also, Primeau only managed to get 70+ points once.

13. Dustin Brown. He has a lot of good attributes - great speed, hands and shot - but debateable hockey sense. Will drop him to a second liner. Much better scorer than Scott Thornton.

Hurricane's Cole has been mentioned.

17. Zach Parise. I know I'll draw flack from Hab fans, but Parise reminds me a lot of Koivu in terms of natural ability, fearless mentality and leadership.

Could very well be yeah, but that's quite a billing to live up to.

19. Ryan Getzlaf. Getzlaf is Gratton? Don't insult the poor kid.

I really think Gratton is a very underrated player. Yeah, he should have never played for a Western Conference team (Phoenix/Avalanche), as it doesn't suit his style. He's still a very solid 2nd/3rd line C. In fact, if Getzlaf can have a similar career, that would be quite an achievement.

24. Mike Richards. Richards is the type of player who will captain an NHL team to a Cup. All heart. All grit. And reasonable skill, too, capable of 50-60 points a year.

50-60 points a year would make Richards into a top 50/60 player production wise in today's NHL. I don't see it. I agree with the way you describe him, but not the production.

25. Anthony Stewart. I like Stewart a lot. A potential second line power forward, but he showed enough talent and toughness at last year's WJC to leave me thinking possible first liner.

I just see a very big kid, who can skate like the wind. However, I tend to be very sceptical of big kids, as many are labeled as the next Deadmarsh, Guerin, Shanahan, or Tkachuk and hardly any of the live up to that billing.

27. Jeff Tambellini. Reminds me a lot of Geoff Courtnall: great skater, great shot, but streaky.

I had a hard time coming up with any comparison for Tambellini really.

30. Shawn Belle. Nolan Baumgartner failed not because of talent or heart, but because his development was ruined by three major shoulder operations. Belle may be a David Tanabe - very fast but limited hockey sense - or, if he learns to play within his limitations, could be a top-three speed defenceman, a la Hedican and Tim Gleason.
I liked the Hedican comparison by another poster, but I could still see Belle turn into a fringe NHLer like Baumgartner, who just never really makes it as a regular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->