Progress

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The 2015-2016 St. Louis Blues won the most games of any Blues team.

The team has improved the past two seasons, in my view. We were very weak at center before the additions of Stastny and Lehtera. These two aren't All-Stars, but they have helped a lot. I think Gunnarsson was an upgrade over Polak, too.

This season, we had big contributions from three rookies. We also added the veterans Brouwer, Brodziak and Upshall, who chipped in too.

This is a turnover of more than half the team in two years.

How do we improve next season? Jaskin looked pretty impressive during the playoffs. He really bashes defensemen on the boards.

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015
We really need another low end #1 center to set up Tarasenko like RNH. Shattenkirk and a prospect or a pick should help us get that if we be creative. We also need to trade Lehtera and replace him with Sobotka.

Defenseman wise, I would be very okay trading Bouwmeester. I'm not sure he would waive his clause, but it's worth a shot. If it worked, our defensemen would be..

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Parayko
Lindbohm-Bortuzzo
Butler

Still pretty good.

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015
I don't want to go anywhere near RNH. Would rather have a physical center than a weak but quick one.

Just another physical center or a physical #1 center? McDavid and Crosby aren't physical. Neither is Malkin or Stamkos. RNH has a lot of weight to gain like Fabbri does, but I don't see people's hesitation around here to put Fabbri as our #1 center next year. The hate for RNH is totally irrational around here. Has he been injury prone? A bit. He's also been involved in a few freak accidents too. If the Blues want to reach that next level, we need another low end #1 center since high end #1 centers aren't realistically available.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Just another physical center or a physical #1 center? McDavid and Crosby aren't physical. Neither is Malkin or Stamkos. RNH has a lot of weight to gain like Fabbri does, but I don't see people's hesitation around here to put Fabbri as our #1 center next year. The hate for RNH is totally irrational around here. Has he been injury prone? A bit. He's also been involved in a few freak accidents too. If the Blues want to reach that next level, we need another low end #1 center since high end #1 centers aren't realistically available.
Shattenkirk won't resign in Edmonton, I doubt they trade Nuge for 1 year of Shattenkirk.

Put it to bed.

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015
Shattenkirk won't resign in Edmonton, I doubt they trade Nuge for 1 year of Shattenkirk.

Put it to bed.

I never said we should trade Shattenkirk directly to Edmonton.

Put your poor reading comprehsion to bed.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I never said we should trade Shattenkirk directly to Edmonton.

Put your poor reading comprehsion to bed.

Shattenkirk is the only real trading chip we have. With how his contract situation is, assuming he truly wants to be in the Eastern USA, why would Edmonton trade Nuge for 1 year of Shattenkirk?
Also, I'd much rather get Draisaitl then Nuge.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Shattenkirk is the only real trading chip we have. With how his contract situation is, assuming he truly wants to be in the Eastern USA, why would Edmonton trade Nuge for 1 year of Shattenkirk?

I agree on Draisaitl> RNH but I wouldn't mind RNH. As for how we do it, he thinks we'd do a 3-way trade or a trade and trade again. But all Edmonton wants is a RHD. Not sure who is going to trade a RHD with term for a RHD with 1 year left. Maybe a team confident they can re-sign him. Still, very tough to pull off.

HappyGilmore

May 5, 2015

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. OF COURSE Edmonton won't trade RNH for Shattenkirk given his UFA status next year. That's why it has to be done indirectly. I would also probably prefer Draisaitl, but the problem is that Edmonton feels the same way. They view Draisaitl as their #2 center moving forward over RNH, thus making him expendable.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI

I'm saying I would rather have a physical center than one who has absolutely zero physicality and wilts under forechecking teams.

I want a center with above average speed, but can play a gritty game. The difference between RNH and Fabbri is that one is a pansy and one plays bigger than he is.

and to address adding weight, RNH has had more than enough time to add weight. Fabbri meanwhile has already increased his bulk in just a year or two of pro training.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm not much of a fan of Berglund or Bouwmeester, but they are both still under contract and have trade restriction clauses in their deals. Bergy I can live with, its just one more year and he is only 27 years old. Bouwmeester has three more years on his deal, and he will be 33 years old at the start of next season.

I doubt there would be much interest in Bouwmeester, but even if there was, who would take over on the first defensive pairing? Gunnarsson? We seem to have a ton of defensive prospects, but no one ready to play regularly in the NHL, much less a top pairing guy. Parayko playing on his off wing?

joshyhockey26

Dec 6, 2015
st louis
We really need another low end #1 center to set up Tarasenko like RNH. Shattenkirk and a prospect or a pick should help us get that if we be creative. We also need to trade Lehtera and replace him with Sobotka.

Defenseman wise, I would be very okay trading Bouwmeester. I'm not sure he would waive his clause, but it's worth a shot. If it worked, our defensemen would be..

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Gunnarsson-Parayko
Lindbohm-Bortuzzo
Butler

Still pretty good.

Not overly thrilled in that top six. I do like Lindbohm/Bortuzzo plenty but still would like a bit more. Lindbohm had his struggles last season, not sure if it was just a bad year or if our other prospects have passed him but I'm not ready to give him a top six spot. Gunnar had a decent season this year yes but who knows if he will be as reliable next season.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
edmundson is a fringe nhler and should be considered as a trade piece imo

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

I love his size and toughness too much to move him right now. I want to see him next year with a year under his belt. Love his upside.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Most of us aren't happy with Bouwmeester right now. Even if we can't move him, I don't think moving the depth behind him is really the answer either. Unless a trade blows you away, but Edmundson is pretty unlikely to be part of something like that unless it's a blockbuster with multiple players. Trading him by himself does zero to help the team.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Respectfully, but completely
disagree. He is not a fringe NHL player, he is a solid stay-at-home defender with decent enough offensive skills so that he is not a pylon. He skates well, has an ok shot and can pass. I have seen good hockey sense, too. He's a solid 3rd pairing guy wih 2nd pairing potential, as his offensive skills will get better as he progresses.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Overally how hype Army and Hitch were on him about how nasty he's after 10 GP he played I didn't saw that noted 'nastyness' at all just unsecure dmen who most time remember why Cole did traded away, bonehead moves 247.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Respectfully, but completely
disagree. He is not a fringe NHL player, he is a solid stay-at-home defender with decent enough offensive skills so that he is not a pylon. He skates well, has an ok shot and can pass. I have seen good hockey sense, too. He's a solid 3rd pairing guy wih 2nd pairing potential, as his offensive skills will get better as he progresses.

I don't see second pairing upside at all. He'll either become a very good third-pairing guy or regress to a bad third-liner, with consistency issues between the two tied to the level of competition that he's facing. But his future in this league is as a 5/6 guy, who because of his size and toughness has value...but he'll never be a core piece or a guy who doesn't have to worry about somebody younger and more skilled taking his roster spot at any given moment.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
I don't see second pairing upside at all. He'll either become a very good third-pairing guy or regress to a bad third-liner, with consistency issues between the two tied to the level of competition that he's facing. But his future in this league is as a 5/6 guy, who because of his size and toughness has value...but he'll never be a core piece or a guy who doesn't have to worry about somebody younger and more skilled taking his roster spot at any given moment.

yep which is why if you can be packaged into a deal, he should be moved while his value is higher than normal.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
yep which is why if you can be packaged into a deal, he should be moved while his value is higher than normal.

And replaced with what? If we are replacing Edmundson with Lindbohm and a guy like Butler as the 7th, ok. But if we need to go get a free agent 6th D, that further hurts an already difficult cap situation. We have improvements we need to make elsewhere and we need the cap to do so. Jettisoning a ELC for a $1.5M+ contract doesn't help, and there is little need to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad