Programming Thread

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I noticed there doesn't seem to be an active thread about general programming here so I figured I'd start one.

Anyone here into programming, as a hobby or professionally?

I currently work as a Java developer, but I am pretty comfortable in most OOP (or OOP supported/C style) languages, as well as some other paradigms too.

I also have worked in game development and graphics.

It might be fun to talk about it here, maybe do some coding challenges or reviews or something to help out people who are interested in learning or practicing.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Professionally here.

Though I don't do it as much anymore. Got into other things at my company. Was a C++ guru and worked for a video game company out of college. Now I do other things.

But currently I have been really getting into Powershell and I script pretty much everything now lol, It's a lot of fun!

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
But currently I have been really getting into Powershell and I script pretty much everything now lol, It's a lot of fun!

I am pretty ashamed to say that I never really got comfortable with anything command-line related. My friends are all gurus when it comes to this stuff but I never really learned much about it, since all my work was always done using big IDE type things.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I am pretty ashamed to say that I never really got comfortable with anything command-line related. My friends are all gurus when it comes to this stuff but I never really learned much about it, since all my work was always done using big IDE type things.
Oh I hardly command-line program. I use ISE for Powershell and write actual scripts. I don't do well with on the fly command-line programming. Heck, I have enough trouble navigating a Linux box lol.

I never did much with java but it's pretty huge in today's world. I mean you can get a job almost anywhere.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
I want to get into programming. bought a python book. my wife IT said python then java.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I want to get into programming. bought a python book. my wife IT said python then java.

In school I built a cool machine learning classifier using python that takes in images of handwritten numbers and tells you what the number is (with about 95% accuracy). But that's about all the experience I have with python, had to kind of learn it on the fly. I knew Java before and I found it helped me, but I could see it working the other way around too.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I have one semester left towards a computer science degree. Not sure my school is any good, but I'm focused primarily on Java and C++.

Right now I'm interning and learning a lot about the Spring framework and cloud computing, which both seem pretty exciting to me.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm 99% VB these days for work. Do a lot of work on HMIs.

Haven't dipped into anything "fun" in a long while. Probably starting to get rusty. :laugh:

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
done mostly Java in my consulting work the past while, but just got a new job where I'll be able to do some newer Javascript stuff. Like React etc. should be cool.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
If I program it's to clean up other people's sloppy and uncommented code.

You should watch / read Clean Code by "Uncle Bob". Good code shouldn't have to have comments. I mean its impossible to eliminate all comments but most people comment on crap that shouldn't be commented. For instance...

#This finds out if X is greater than Y and will return the result
if (X>Y){
return "X Is greater than Y"
}
else{
return "X is not greater than Y"
}

#Now that we know if X is greater than Y..... blah blah blah.

Unnecessary commenting is worse than no comments IMO.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
You should watch / read Clean Code by "Uncle Bob". Good code shouldn't have to have comments. I mean its impossible to eliminate all comments but most people comment on crap that shouldn't be commented. For instance...

#This finds out if X is greater than Y and will return the result
if (X>Y){
return "X Is greater than Y"
}
else{
return "X is not greater than Y"
}

#Now that we know if X is greater than Y..... blah blah blah.

Unnecessary commenting is worse than no comments IMO.

Well yeah that's just classic over compensation.

- student writes programs, doesn't comment anything
- realizes he needs to comment for marks
- goes back and comments everything

Who didn't do that at one time? :laugh:

LarryFisherman

o̯̘̍͋̀͌̂͒͋͋ͯ̿ͯͦ̈́ͬ͒̚̚
May 9, 2013
Arvada, CO
I've done some basic work in the .net environment

I'm a QA Engineer though, so I sit at the kiddy table for sure.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Been working professionally as a programmer for 10 years, longer as a hobby. My side interest is programming for video games, currently working on my second title.

I know plenty of languages, though the language I have most experience with is C#.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

Good point! I used to be that student. Haha!

It's almost an artform writing code. I mean writing code is great, writing good code isn't super easy. Can't tell you how many times at work I have heard someone on a super important call say "I don't know... that guy who wrote that code isn't here anymore and were having trouble figuring it out."

*facepalm* :laugh:

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
What do you do with C++ professionally if you don't mind me asking? It's one of those languages that are not used unless you have something significant that requires greater performance.

Games. I'm a programmer working on Far Cry 5.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
A lot of Oracle PL/SQL and a dash of Java.

As a student, going back and commenting is probably not a bad exercise. The provided example is awful of course, but it's a good learning exercise to really understand why something non-obvious is being done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad