Beginners: Problems I Have

Jh08

Oct 5, 2017
As a 15-year-old noobie playing hockey for the first time this year, and I've realized a couple things. I'm bad at:

1.Receiving passes
2.Skating fast with the puck
3.Puck control

I want to get better and play well and hopefully be considered "good" by some people. Are there anyways I can work off the ice on these things, any advice on how to improve these aspects of my game or any new things I could try doing next time I play? I really want to practice my skating but recently at public skating, I got kicked off the ice for skating too fast and aggressive so I don't wanna get completely banned from that rink.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Well, for starters, youtube is a great resource for drills and for finding out information on proper technique in skating and stickhandling.

There are lots of off ice training equipment you could buy, but probably one of the cheapest is the green-buscuit, less than $20. It's a plastic puck designed slide on pavement. You can used that to work on your stick handling and shooting off ice.

As for skating, you don't need to go fast to work on your skating. Find some drills that you can do at a moderate speed to improve your edge work, which will improve your control. IMHO that will help you out more than just skating fast.

Here's a video on stickhandling and one on skating to start you off. Two things to take away are for stickhandling, the top hand is the one that controls everything. Second, for skating, work on your outside edges. Get those down and you'll have speed to burn.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad