Probable Team Canada Line-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadPool

Jan 1, 2004
According to tsn.ca these players are locks for the World Cup roster unless seriously injured:

Lemieux
Yzerman
Smyth
Kariya
Sakic
Iginla
Thornton
St-Louis
LeCavalier
Tanguay
Doan
Primeau
Marleau

Niedermayer
Pronger
Blake
Foote
Jovanovski

Brodeur
Belfour

DeadPool

Jan 1, 2004
incawg said:
It also seems to imply that if Bertuzzi is re-instated by mid-May he'll make the team.

No surprise there. It's just a question if Bettman will reinstate him or not. He could be a late summer addition to the team.

I'm also surprised that the article has no mention of Rick Nash. The kid lead the NHL in goals (along with Jarome and Ilya) but he gets no mention for Team Canada. I know he's very young but he needs a fair chance. Can you imagine a line of St-Louis/LeCavalier/Nash?

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
DeadPool said:
No surprise there. It's just a question if Bettman will reinstate him or not. He could be a late summer addition to the team.

There had been some talk that even if he was reinstated he wouldn't be on the team, but I guess that's been shot down now. You make a good point about a late summer addition. The article specifically points out that Canada will be under the roster limit. I would be surprised if Bettman reinstated Betuzzi during the playoffs due to the bad press it would get in the states...but he's almost certain to be reinstated sometime in the summer before next season. Perhaps he would be added to team Canada when/if that occurs.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Is Kariya going to get a free pass onto Team Canada for the rest of his career, or is he ever actually going to have to earn the spot again?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Epsilon said:
Is Kariya going to get a free pass onto Team Canada for the rest of his career, or is he ever actually going to have to earn the spot again?
Karyia earned his spot last year with his 81 point season on a very defensive Ducks team. He has also earned it by his performance at the last Olympics and his play in the stanly cup finals. I ask you how is it fair that he loses his spot based on an injury plaged season.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Epsilon said:

A better question would be what did Kevin Lowe do to convince Gretzky that Smyth is deserving. (again)

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
A better question would be what did Kevin Lowe do to convince Gretzky that Smyth is deserving. (again)

An even better question is who's spot will Eric Brewer take? To mention him as a possibility is interesting enough, but to have the article mention that the people upstairs heavily favor past Olympians plus having Lowe on the selection commitee..
I may be an Oiler homer but even I can atest that there are better selections for the Defence (And yes, Smyth will make it, but not on the merit of his 2003/04 season)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Goalie Terrorizer said:
Can somebody explain me WHAT IS PRIMEAU DOING THERE ???? I just don't understand, there are so many other players we could take instead of him !
Watch him play then come back and say that. Primeau aerned his spot this postseason as the checking center.

Coppo

Id be amazed if canada doesnt pick Nick Boynton either. He has been by far one of the best d men in the Nhl this season. Granted he is not great scoringwise but his positioning,checking and attitude are second to none. Miles better than Jovo no doubt! BOYNTON = :bow:

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Patrick Marleau wasn't named to the shortlist published some months ago, so he won't be named to Team Canada (which is a travesty, IMO).

Rick Nash still has a very one-dimensional game...I won't be too surprised if he doesn't go.

A recent interview with Wayne Gretzky seemed to imply that if Bertuzzi is reinstated before May 23rd, he will be named to the roster, but if he isn't, the team will not keep a roster spot open on the possibility that he may be reinstated before the tournament actually begins, as that is not particularly fair.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
You only included 5 defense. I'm not quite sure they'd take Jovo over Redden, McCabe or Aucoin considering the horrible season he's had. Foote is a toss-up as well but he'll likely be added because he was a part of Salt Lake. I'd like to see Phillips get a good look as well, because he can definately play as well as any of those defense.

Goaltending should look like:

Brodeur
Luongo
Belfour

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
I'll probably get blasted for this but I think Joe Nieuwendyk, if healthy, should be named to the team as a fourth liner who can come off the bench for key faceoffs and power play time. He is a winner.

The biggest knock on him is that he's old, but I'd rather have someone with experience who might not dress for every game, but who will be a positive influence rather than a young gun who's used to being a big offensive star on his club team, and who might pout with limited ice time and not be able to fit into the role of a fourth-liner.

Yes Team Canada will be younger, stronger, faster in 2004 than in 2002, but they shouldn't get too young. I agree, you take the best players available, regardless of age, but we're not talking about adding a Rob Zamuner here. The team does need balance and all 14 forwards can't be purely offensive stars. Look what happened to Russia in Salt Lake.

Smyth, Shanahan, Nieuwendyk, Fleury, Nolan, and Peca were all able to fit into the roles of being bottom line guys in Salt Lake. Granted, most of these guys probably won't return, but one I'd certainly keep is Nieuwendyk if his back holds up. 3 cups with 3 different teams tells you something. And he still has the ability to affect his current team's chances of excelling in the playoffs depending on whether he's in the line-up, even at his advanced age.

I'd put Joe Nieuwendyk on my team any day as a fourth liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad