Salary Cap: Probable contracts for Pearson and Toffoli?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
You think Toffoli is only going to score 20-25 more points over the rest of the season? And Pearson only 20 more over the rest of the season?

Toffoli and Pearson are both at double digit goals and on pace for 33 goals. You really think both will struggle to score 20 goals?

I know you have always been extremely bearish on both players, but wow, this is nuts.

They are young players. They are also Los Angeles Kings. Their offense IS going to go dry at some point.

Mike Carr

Jul 19, 2012
You think Toffoli is only going to score 20-25 more points over the rest of the season? And Pearson only 20 more over the rest of the season?

Toffoli and Pearson are both at double digit goals and on pace for 33 goals. You really think both will struggle to score 20 goals?

I know you have always been extremely bearish on both players, but wow, this is nuts.

No cap room for Regher, Williams and Stoll - Unless cap increases unexpectedly large. I feel we see a trade - Nothing will happen until the Voynov situation is finalized.

SkateFreak

Aug 25, 2010
Florida
I have been thinking about this. I also looked at the last few players to get bridge deals
Examples:
Couturier: 2 yrs @1.75 million
Hagelin: 2 yrs @2.25 million
B. Schenn: 2 yrs @2.5 million
MDZ: 2 yrs @2.55 million
Subban: 2 yrs @2.85 million
Stepan: 2 yrs @3.075 million
Johnson & Palat: 3 yrs @3.33 million

If i had to choose on what Toffoli and Pearson would get is prob somewhere between what Couturier/Hagelin/Schenn got. Yeah i know they both have 10 goals a piece, but you also gotta think Dean Lombardi has a plan.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

The last Kings player to score 30 Goals was Kopitar in 09-10. Jeff Carter has yet to hit 30 Goals on the Kings in a season.

Pearson just went through a stretch of 11 games with just one assist. Toffoli has three points in his last ten games(Only seven in his last sixteen games). I am simply looking at reality.

How are those Kopitar putting up 50 assists, and Gabo scoring 40 goals predictions going for folks around here?

Toffoli/Pearson will be 30 goal scorers....When they actually do it. So far, they are not even 30 point or 15 goal players.

You are smarter than this Herby.

Last edited:

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
I'd guess Pearson will get 2 years @ 2m aav, and Toffoli will settle for 3 years @ 3m aav.

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007

Your infatuation with these two is showing.

Both players point totals are skewed by their incredibly hot starts. Both players have cooled off considerably since.

Toffoli had 3 goals in the month of November. 3. He had 5 total POINTS in the month. Let that sink in for a minute. 5 points in 13 games.

Pearson has 2 goals in the entirety of November. 3 total points. Once again, in 13 games.

October is long gone. The days of teams not preparing for these kids is over. They have a target on their back because of the early season success and their numbers are suffering for it.

Toffoli probably will hit 20 but he it's going to take a big increase of ice time to do it and a lot more shots on goal. Currently Toffoli shooting % is 16.1. Ovechkin and Perry were #1 and #2 in goal scoring last year and neither one of them can touch Toffoli's current shooting %. Pearson will not hit 20. He just doesn't shoot enough, period.

We get it, you like these kids. That's fine. We all do! But they aren't there yet. Take your expectations back a notch.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Your infatuation with these two is showing.

Both players point totals are skewed by their incredibly hot starts. Both players have cooled off considerably since.

Toffoli had 3 goals in the month of November. 3. He had 5 total POINTS in the month. Let that sink in for a minute. 5 points in 13 games.

Pearson has 2 goals in the entirety of November. 3 total points. Once again, in 13 games.

October is long gone. The days of teams not preparing for these kids is over. They have a target on their back because of the early season success and their numbers are suffering for it.

Toffoli probably will hit 20 but he it's going to take a big increase of ice time to do it and a lot more shots on goal. Currently Toffoli shooting % is 16.1. Ovechkin and Perry were #1 and #2 in goal scoring last year and neither one of them can touch Toffoli's current shooting %. Pearson will not hit 20. He just doesn't shoot enough, period.

We get it, you like these kids. That's fine. We all do! But they aren't there yet. Take your expectations back a notch.

I agree but Perry came close last year at 15.4% for the year. And Pavelski managed 18.2% and played in all 82 games last year. So occasionally you have a player that just blows the average.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
They are young players. They are also Los Angeles Kings. Their offense IS going to go dry at some point.

I believe that Pearson/Toffoli may be young/excited enough still not to understand that as a King's player you aren't supposed to score. It may take a year or two for that to sink in. :laugh:

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I see no one thinks that the possibility of offer sheets could raise their values? When would they sign them? Probably after knowing the cap amount for next year.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I see no one thinks that the possibility of offer sheets could raise their values? When would they sign them? Probably after knowing the cap amount for next year.

It's strange, I really am not afraid of offer sheets. You hardly ever hear of a player being offer-sheeted. Dean has said not to mess with him in regards to offer sheets, too, and I believe him.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Someone posted a list in another thread that there has been eight offer sheets since 2006. Guys like Ryan Johansen don't get them, do you really think that's a huge risk of either getting an offer sheet? I don't. Could it happen, sure, but odds are heavily against it.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Teams rarely offer sheet, also why would Pearson/Toffoli sign it ?

It no doubt would be from a bottom feeder team with tons of cap space.

Why would either guy sign an offer sheet from say Ottawa or Buffalo ?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Teams rarely offer sheet, also why would Pearson/Toffoli sign it ?

It no doubt would be from a bottom feeder team with tons of cap space.

Why would either guy sign an offer sheet from say Ottawa or Buffalo ?

It's more likely a case of why would the team offer it.

Toffoli and Pearson are both still very young and should have long NHL careers ahead of them barring the unforeseen. In five years Buffalo could be the best team in the NHL for all we know. Let's not forget in 2008 we were drafting second overall and in 2012 we were lifting a Stanley Cup.

If someone offered them the right amount, they'd leave. I'm not saying they'd leave just to pocket a few hundred thousand extra, but if the Kings best offer was say $3 million a year and someone came in offering $4 million a year, I bet they'd sign it.

For the record, a $4 million per year deal is only a 1st and a 3rd in terms of compensation, so if there is a top team out there with a bit of cap space, that'd be who you worry about as their first would be likely to be low. Teams like Buffalo are very likely to be a top 5 1st, so they'd be far less inclined to do such a move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad