Post-Game Talk: 2018 Tank Postmortem: Vancouver finishes 6th-last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Previous threads

Pt. III: Lil Jim, U can't even win if u wanted 2. Team expensive, these r tankin moves
Pt. IV: It do not matter, team got badder, crowd got quieter, losses came faster!

Here's our competition.

079e5938608df49f964ee06da13e4bf4.png

Spicy Maguro

Feb 7, 2004
Re: draft odds from the previous thread:

I think the NBA uses a much better set of odds that gives teams in the Top 3 a better than 50-50 shot of picking top 3 (64.2%,51.6%, 51.2%). it's pretty sad that The 4th last team in the NBA (currently Dallas) has better odds of being in the Top 3 than the 2nd last team in the NHL(currently Buffalo).

If you didn't notice, the NBA's reforming the draft odds so in the future, the bottom 3 teams will only have a 40% chance of picking in the top 3, and an equal 14% chance of getting the top pick. People hate tanking in general and tanking gives bad PR to the league. They only like it in this thread because 1) poor results might be the only way of getting rid of Jim Benning, and 2) the team is a trainwreck.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Re: draft odds from the previous thread:

If you didn't notice, the NBA's reforming the draft odds so in the future, the bottom 3 teams will only have a 40% chance of picking in the top 3, and an equal 14% chance of getting the top pick. People hate tanking in general and tanking gives bad PR to the league. They only like it in this thread because 1) poor results might be the only way of getting rid of Jim Benning, and 2) the team is a trainwreck.

I am pro-Tank but I absolutely hate that the league is set up in a way that encourages it.

I would be 100% for a completely random lottery, a reverse lottery among non-playoff teams, or just a complete abolishment of the draft.

It would be great if the league incentivezed non-playoff teams to keep winning, but they don't, and I therefore find myself in the annoying and loatheful position of cheering for losses.

f*** you Jim.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I'm not liking out luck. This is like 2016 all over again... had the chance to get a Matthews or Laine but dropped.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
nah I believe in the law of averages and think we'll get luckier this time around, can only get 5th so many times

this is our year for dahlin and a better gm

we just have to lose 80% of our remaining games, which I think this team will be able to do

#BelieveInBlue

Reactions: travis scott

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
nah I believe in the law of averages and think we'll get luckier this time around, can only get 5th so many times

this is our year for dahlin and a better gm

we just have to lose 80% of our remaining games, which I think this team will be able to do

#BelieveInBlue

We won't be alive long enough for the probabilities to eventually match the outcomes. Maybe our grandkids will be. These are independent events. We are most likely to draft 5 or 6 at this point and depending on our dear leader's ability to make any kind of trade to move UFA's, we may have difficulty holding off Detroit, Montreal and Ottawa. Edmonton and Florida should be able to stay out of reach.

I think there is a very good chance we will be drafting after the drop off in a pool of a dozen or so roughly equal prospects and will select whoever turns out to be the worst of Dobson, Bouchard, Smith and Wilde. We will of course have to wait five years before Benning Apologists will admit the pick was a bust but they will blame the unpredictability of the draft for the terrible outcome.

Expect something worse than your worst nightmare. These are the keystone cops of sports management.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
I have this gut feeling we are looking at a 5th overall pick again. Can we possibly find another Petterson there? Is there a petterson type player even out there?

I have zero faith in the "randomness" of the draw.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I have this gut feeling we are looking at a 5th overall pick again. Can we possibly find another Petterson there? Is there a petterson type player even out there?

I have zero faith in the "randomness" of the draw.

You shouldn’t. It’s run with a high level of transparency and oversight.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
I think the team makes a run down the stretch if they stay healthy. All the injuries really messed with the mojo of a fragile team. Sorry tankers, my crystal ball is calling a tenth overall pick.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I think the team makes a run down the stretch if they stay healthy. All the injuries really messed with the mojo of a fragile team. Sorry tankers, my crystal ball is calling a tenth overall pick.

Well they were 4 games over .500 at their peak before the collapse, so assuming they actually manage that pace again over the next 15 games until the TDL, they’ll still be far enough out of the playoff race that this team will have to be a seller. And we all know how things go for this team after we the TDL.

infinitemile

Oct 8, 2017
I am pro-Tank but I absolutely hate that the league is set up in a way that encourages it.

I would be 100% for a completely random lottery, a reverse lottery among non-playoff teams, or just a complete abolishment of the draft.

It would be great if the league incentivezed non-playoff teams to keep winning, but they don't, and I therefore find myself in the annoying and loatheful position of cheering for losses.

**** you Jim.
my problem with the people who say that the lottery system sucks and non-playoff teams should keep winning, is that it doesn't take into account legitimately bad teams like ours, who weren't trying to tank. Jim hasn't been trying to tank for any of his 4 years, we've just been really really bad and failed every year. Do we not deserve to be compensated for being terrible? We didn't pull a Buffalo here.

Reactions: BlueGreen

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
my problem with the people who say that the lottery system sucks and non-playoff teams should keep winning, is that it doesn't take into account legitimately bad teams like ours, who weren't trying to tank. Jim hasn't been trying to tank for any of his 4 years, we've just been really really bad and failed every year. Do we not deserve to be compensated for being terrible? We didn't pull a Buffalo here.

Well, one could say that Edmonton got their revenge on us for beating them so much over the years. What we have is the Edmonton clause that is in place, which is going to make harder for any team to advance, some may never get there without a lot of luck.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

But there is no meaningful way to distinguish between the teams who are deliberate and the teams who are incompetent. Toronto deliberately tanked as overtly as any team I have ever seen. Here you go, have Matthews. We stink while trying to compete, knocked back three spots.

I would prefer a system that rewarded neither deliberate tanking nor incompetence. If Benning ends up getting a longer leash than he deserves because of Pettersson then that is even worse for us... I mean f*** all of our lives if he gets to draft Dahlin. He doesn't deserve Dahlin.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

**** you Jim.

Yup.

The current lottery system incentives the continuation of morons running the league but being granted staying power in their positions due to pure f***ing luck. Chiarelli got McDavid and looking at current odds, Bergevin has a pretty damn good shot at getting Dahlin.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
It would be an interesting scenario to see in something like eastside hockey manager if we gave the a team that was bad the worst outcome of their picks and if they ever get out of a funk?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It would be an interesting scenario to see in something like eastside hockey manager if we gave the a team that was bad the worst outcome of their picks and if they ever get out of a funk?

I used to believe that Jake Virtanen busting would be the worst possible outcome for Jim. That pick so crucial for us and our future and we couldn't afford to screw it up.

Now I believe that it doesn't f***ing matter. Nobody has any kind of memory and the new prospects are always shinier than the old ones. People have already forgotten about Virtanen.

Next is Juolevi. Of he turns out it will be a feather in Benning's cap. If he busts people will just forget he exists and start hyping whoever we draft in 2018.

Reactions: zoolander09

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
except east side is pretty easy so not sure how well that would work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad