Pro-Benning Crowd: What Counts As Failure Next Year

What would cause you to lose faith in Jim Benning in 2018-2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
The argument isn't that.

The argument is that if Juolevi doesn't make the team next year he's in tough, as his comparables of Top 10 picks that don't make it by D+3 are Brian Lee, Keaton Ellerby, Thomas Hickey, Dylan McIlrath, Griffen Reinhart, Derrick Pouliot, Slater Koekkoek, and Haydn Fleury.

He could make the team next year, but it seems like a longshot given the Canucks current defenceman contract situation and his development.
So if he doesn't make the team due to contract reasons instead of his play he is still a longshot still?

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
So if he doesn't make the team due to contract reasons instead of his play he is still a longshot still?

I think if his play warrants it, then he’ll be on the team next year. If he’s not a standout then yes it will be concerning. Good prospects force their way into any lineup.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
It's a mix between that and his development. I don't think he'll be good enough to warrant the Canucks trading a defenceman but who knows. I think if he's good enough they'll trade someone. It's not like they have a great defence.

I was more saying that since his development isn't looking great + the fact he's not going to be gifted a spot = he probably wont make the team.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
The argument isn't that.

The argument is that if Juolevi doesn't make the team next year he's in tough, as his comparables of Top 10 picks that don't make it by D+3 are Brian Lee, Keaton Ellerby, Thomas Hickey, Dylan McIlrath, Griffen Reinhart, Derrick Pouliot, Slater Koekkoek, and Haydn Fleury.

He could make the team next year, but it seems like a longshot given the Canucks current defenceman contract situation and his development.

How's this for s***s and giggles why don't we make judgement on a player when judgment can be legitimately made instead making judgement on a preconceived notion???

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Jim Benning is basically a money manager who loses money every year but still has investors because he's somehow managed to convince people that he has some supernatural ability to pick stocks because he hasn't literally gotten every single one of them wrong.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Jim Benning is basically a money manager who loses money every year but still has investors because he's somehow managed to convince people that he has some supernatural ability to pick stocks because he hasn't literally gotten every single one of them wrong.
Yep. Im getting trolled by one of the Benning boys cause i said Brassard is projecting well for a 7th round pick and my username relates to two of Bennings picks. Benning or his scouts have made some ok and even good picks but doesnt take away from his mountain of mistakes that have set our franchise back

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
What contract reasons could possibly keep Juolevi off the team if he shows he’s good enough to play in the nhl?

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
How's this for s***s and giggles why don't we make judgement on a player when judgment can be legitimately made instead making judgement on a preconceived notion???
It’s a predictions thread, mate.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Is that your argument though? The real question is whether he makes the team on merit. He is competing with Del Zotto, Hutton, and Pouliot on the left side with any changes? There is a spot for him if you want him on the team and outside of spectacular performance you can easily send him down to the AHL. On a rebuilding team, if he's anything close to one of those three guys and you think his development would be fine in the NHL then you keep him.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
my view is that the only way benning should last beyond next year is if a new core shows up next season. wins and losses will not matter so much as there needs to be clear emergence of enough top young players to be realistically excited about the season after. his job was to produce a new core. his time will be up to do that.

Reactions: drax0s

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
my view is that the only way benning should last beyond next year is if a new core shows up next season. wins and losses will not matter so much as there needs to be clear emergence of enough top young players to be realistically excited about the season after. his job was to produce a new core. his time will be up to do that.
Completely agree...His 3 year deal (essentially 2) is not an absolute endorsement from ownership,but complete upheaval at this stage would have been counterproductive..my .02 cents.

Benning has to be sure that some of his picks make an impact next season..He's on the clock now.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Hard to say cause my expectations skyrocketed after 20 games and then the injuries hit, like they have the past couple years. For me I'll lose faith in him if he resigns the Sedins, I don't see how them staying helps.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
What contract reasons could possibly keep Juolevi off the team if he shows he’s good enough to play in the nhl?
Not his contract, the other dmen signed would have to be moved.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Not his contract, the other dmen signed would have to be moved.

If juolevi can't beat out the scrub defencemen on our roster then that's an indication that he's not hacking it in the NHL and his development is continuing to disappoint.

Not cracking our lineup because of other defencemen's contract issues isn't a legitimate excuse at all but no doubt some will try to use it to try and justify the pick.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
If juolevi can't beat out the scrub defencemen on our roster then that's an indication that he's not hacking it in the NHL and his development is continuing to disappoint.

Not cracking our lineup because of other defencemen's contract issues isn't a legitimate excuse at all but no doubt some will try to use it to try and justify the pick.
Oh grow up that's not what I meant. I'm sure the team will move someone to get him out if he is ready.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Yep. Im getting trolled by one of the Benning boys cause i said Brassard is projecting well for a 7th round pick and my username relates to two of Bennings picks. Benning or his scouts have made some ok and even good picks but doesnt take away from his mountain of mistakes that have set our franchise back
How you somehow think you are better then other posters is beyond me. You really should stop labelling people and realize a lot of the flack you take is because you go extreme most of the time.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
How you somehow think you are better then other posters is beyond me. You really should stop labelling people and realize a lot of the flack you take is because you go extreme most of the time.
I dont think im better then anyone here bub

Im here to discuss ice hockey I never thought about whose better then me or to not

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hard to say cause my expectations skyrocketed after 20 games and then the injuries hit, like they have the past couple years. For me I'll lose faith in him if he resigns the Sedins, I don't see how them staying helps.
Meh, they were bottom 3-5 in most stats during that hot streak. Lucky not good, regressed to their mean, which was bad.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I have to ask the 45% who voted if the prospects don’t look good in the AHL I’ll be worried.

How many prospects have to look good? And what does looking good mean? After 4 drafts the Canucks have a grand total of 1 on the farm right now that looks like he has future (Demko).

Reactions: Hit the post

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->