Proposal: Price to Ottawa

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
So, Montreal fans, it seems like the OP is sending your team a lot of cap back and not what you need. I don't see Melnyk taking on a contract as heavy as Price's.

Might I suggest:

:habs

2020 1st
Darcy Kuemper

:coyotes

Price (full contract)

Arizona would get a top goaltender for the cost of a 1st round pick a few years from now. With stability in goal they might finally take the step from being a lottery team.

Montreal gets a ton of cap space back and a 1st, plus a serviceable back up in Kuemper.

Thoughts?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not sure how this makes sense for the Habs. They give up one bad contract but take on two? Plus a 7th rounder who is likely a career minor leaguer a 2nd round pick that is so Montreal picks up a $13M signing bonus?

ya this makes no sense at all.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
Not sure how this makes sense for the Habs. They give up one bad contract but take on two? Plus a 7th rounder who is likely a career minor leaguer a 2nd round pick that is so Montreal picks up a $13M signing bonus?

ya this makes no sense at all.
Again I was using the Phaneuf from Toronto deal as a comparison. Montreal can easily afford the 13m unlike Ottawa. Montreal(unlike Ottawa) can also retain 50% and trade Ryan or Anderson for solid returns.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
If you reread my OP actual dollars are fine
year 1- ott saves 15.5 m
year 2- cost 0.3m
year 3- saves 0.6m
year 4- 5.5m
year 5- 7.75m
year 6- 8.5m
year 7- 7.5m
year 8- 7.5m

You tell me how does this deal hurts the Sens financially?

The post I quoted specifically referenced "having a 1D and a 1G", hence my post asking how they would afford Price's albatross contract plus re-sign Karlsson at market value which you ignored.

PS: the dollars you're listing up there are in fact a net negative for the Sens

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Again I was using the Phaneuf from Toronto deal as a comparison. Montreal can easily afford the 13m unlike Ottawa. Montreal(unlike Ottawa) can also retain 50% and trade Ryan or Anderson for solid returns.

Does not mean they will want to pay the $13M especially since there is no incentive for them to do it.

Ryan gets what as a "solid return"? Not all that much, he is highly overpaid and produces little when not injured with his second sub 30 point season...

Gaborik might retired no clue is there is any sort of recapture on him.

Anderson, who has been so good and important for the Sens, is starting to show his age and is not likely to get much of a return because of his contract.

You basically are asking Habs management and the owner to take hits for the Sens with nothing in return. Price is the best player in the trade and yet the Habs get nothing for him.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Does not mean they will want to pay the $13M especially since there is no incentive for them to do it.

Ryan gets what as a "solid return"? Not all that much, he is highly overpaid and produces little when not injured with his second sub 30 point season...

Gaborik might retired no clue is there is any sort of recapture on him.

Anderson, who has been so good and important for the Sens, is starting to show his age and is not likely to get much of a return because of his contract.

You basically are asking Habs management and the owner to take hits for the Sens with nothing in return. Price is the best player in the trade and yet the Habs get nothing for him.
The return is getting rid of that contract.
Not sure this is the best way to do it though.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Guess so but I am not worried, there are many other things about the Habs that worry me waaaay more than Price and his contract.
Guess so but I am not worried, there are many other things about the Habs that worry me waaaay more than Price and his contract.
Not sure there should be "many" but I can agree that he's not the biggest of the problems.

Also, looks like he's starting tonight.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not sure there should be "many" but I can agree that he's not the biggest of the problems.

Also, looks like he's starting tonight.
Bigger problems I see off the top of my head include:
  • The GM
  • Max and his future with the team
  • Drouin/Galchenyuk and how they are constantly mismanaged
  • related to the above, a top center

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
So, Montreal fans, it seems like the OP is sending your team a lot of cap back and not what you need. I don't see Melnyk taking on a contract as heavy as Price's.

Might I suggest:

2020 1st
Darcy Kuemper

Price (full contract)

Arizona would get a top goaltender for the cost of a 1st round pick a few years from now. With stability in goal they might finally take the step from being a lottery team.

Montreal gets a ton of cap space back and a 1st, plus a serviceable back up in Kuemper.

Thoughts?
goal isn't the issue anymore in arizona. raanta has been excellent and kuemper is a good backup

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Bigger problems I see off the top of my head include:
  • The GM
  • Max and his future with the team
  • Drouin/Galchenyuk and how they are constantly mismanaged
  • related to the above, a top center
I would put ownership/management at the top of the heap. They don't seem to get where the team is at and where the league is at.
Next, direction: Which incorporates Price/Patches/Center.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Are they going to resign Raanta ? He is UFA at the end of the season. I assumed he wasn't coming back.
he probably will come back. there was a report that said the organization and raanta have mutual interest in signing a contract

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
he probably will come back. there was a report that said the organization and raanta have mutual interest in signing a contract

If so, and he comes back, you're right. Arizona doesn't need to deal to get Price. They're one of the few clubs who have the cap space to absorb that contract, that's why I thought of them.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
The post I quoted specifically referenced "having a 1D and a 1G", hence my post asking how they would afford Price's albatross contract plus re-sign Karlsson at market value which you ignored.

PS: the dollars you're listing up there are in fact a net negative for the Sens
I thought I did answer the question. With this deal Ottawa would basically not be paying Price until year 6 thus being able to afford Karlsson's contract. If(and its a big if) ownership can win back the fans trust and move into Lebreton flats, they will be in much better financial position.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

Might I suggest:

2020 1st
Darcy Kuemper

Price (full contract)

Thoughts?

No.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
As a Habs fan, i would agree with :

Ryan, Anderson, Pageau, Brown/White, 2020 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->