Proposal: Price to Ottawa

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
Similar deal to the Phaneuf trade a few years ago.

To Ott
Price

To Mon
Ryan
Gaborik
Anderson
Perron
Ott 2nd 19
*Perron and Ott 2nd are for Montreal to pay for Prices 13m signing bonus before the trade is made

The reason Ottawa does this- Ott needs to show Karlson, Duchene, Hoffman and the fans that they want to compete or I think they will all leave in the next couple of years. This deals save Ottawa Millions short term and will allow them to resign everyone.

The reason Montreal does this- They need to go full rebuild a la Maple leafs and I can't think of too many teams that would take that contract(Vancouver maybe). They can also afford all these contracts from the sens and have the financial backing to spend that money.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I think the habs would pass on this.

There's better options for them to dump Price if they want to

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
While I agree Price doesn't have a lot of trade value due to his contract, that's a whole lot of garbage coming back. I have no doubt they'd rather spend that 10.5M on Price than 7M on Bobby Ryan for the next four years.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Similar deal to the Phaneuf trade a few years ago.

To Ott
Price

To Mon
Ryan
Gaborik
Anderson
Perron
Ott 2nd 19
*Perron and Ott 2nd are for Montreal to pay for Prices 13m signing bonus before the trade is made

The reason Ottawa does this- Ott needs to show Karlson, Duchene, Hoffman and the fans that they want to compete or I think they will all leave in the next couple of years. This deals save Ottawa Millions short term and will allow them to resign everyone.

The reason Montreal does this- They need to go full rebuild a la Maple leafs and I can't think of too many teams that would take that contract(Vancouver maybe). They can also afford all these contracts from the sens and have the financial backing to spend that money.
STUPID....Montreal is not rebuilding they are building around Price and Weber that has already been decided.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah I'm not sure why Montreal would take on Ryan just to dump price unless there were some other enticing pieces coming back.

And although price at 10 is clearly way more valuable than Ryan at 7 . . . That's still atonne of money to give a goalie.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If we are sending Ryan back we need to give something of value at least

Add brown or chlapik imo

It's interesting because I don't like prices contract at all but if this means karlsson resigns I would bite the bullet

In the imaginary world where we had an average nhl owner

Reactions: TrentonF

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
I agree it's bad for Montreal, I am not sure that having Price around during a rebuild is a good idea either. A healthy price keeps the team meadiocre for years.

Any other teams would be interested in him if would be available?

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
Pretty sure it's been reported that Eugene Melnyk wants to unload on bad contracts, So why would he take Carey Price for 10.5 x 8 then?
Because Ottawa would save money for the next few years and when the other contracts are up Ottawa would be in the new building and hopefully would be able to spend to the cap.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Pretty sure it's been reported that Eugene Melnyk wants to unload on bad contracts, So why would he take Carey Price for 10.5 x 8 then?
LOL because they are apparentely giving 3 cap dump who are basicly done, for a overpaid but still top 3 goalie in the world, still considered by players to be the best in the world despite his shitty season.

i agree price does not hold much value with his contract, but if he can get back to what he is, the contract isn't realy that bad since he's a sureshot #1 Goalie, cap will go up, alot of team has 2x mediocre goalies in the 3-5M range, Montreal will likely ride Price + Near Minimum Cap for the second goalie. Price raised the bar for Goalie to get paid just like Kane and Toews did, of course i doubt any goalie will hit 10M again anytime soon, but it isnt a stretch to say 7-8M

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think the Sens would have to make it happen without Ryan in the deal, but then the money doesn't add up for Ottawa/Melnyk. Maybe this deal happens if/when Karlsson/Ryan are dealt in the summer as a desperation move to bring in a star to appease the fanbase after a Karlsson deal. They might think they can sell Price/Stone/Hoffman/Duchene/Chabot as the core moving forward. Not sure I see much reason for Montreal to move Price to the Senators, but I could certainly see Ottawa having interest in Price if the money worked for them.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wouldn't the Habs be better off -- if they trade Price -- to just retain some salary and get some real serious futures for him? I mean, he could be a huge player if he rebounds from injuries, who knows, but if you have him for $8M or so, that's not quite the same predicament as $10.5M. I don't think the Habs are at the stage of dumping him for somebody else's salary dumps yet. Maybe that day will come. But for now, I think if they were ever going to deal him, they could still retain and still get a serious non-dump return for him?

terry01

Mar 15, 2018
That is incredibly bad for Montreal.http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/33/o.png

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
As others have said, you’d need to add some valuable pieces going to Montreal. White for sure, maybe Brown too.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I'm curious why a team that's obviously not a contender and very salary conscious takes on that monstrous contract for a 30 something Price? Yes, there are a lot of cap dumps in there, but Prices contract extends FAR beyond all of them... and its hardly like he's the missing link.

Plus good luck getting Price to waive for Ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad