Price and Little CUT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
LaLaLaprise said:
So Sutter plans on going with 2 scoring lines, an energy line and a shut down line??

Didnt the team last year have 3 scoring lines and a "checking line"

Well no matter how you stack it the "energy" line or 4th line will still have some talented players on it. And the shut down line also has scoring ability. The only grinder on the team IMO is Pyatt, but he was impressive in that role and is a point per game player. The rest are all two-way players who have offensive talent.

I don't see a lack of skill.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
LaLaLaprise said:
So Sutter plans on going with 2 scoring lines, an energy line and a shut down line??

Didnt the team last year have 3 scoring lines and a "checking line"
The team's third line might be Comeau Chipchura and Boyd. Those three deserve to be there over Brassard. If you think Brassard should be there who do you take out?

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
This is definitely a Sutter team. Lots of character and grit.

A little suprised Price didn't make it. I felt he outplayed Ellis and the Edmonton kid. Either way, goaltending will be a problem for Canada this year.

Also suprised Chucko didn't make it.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Mildly interesting fact....

2004 Entry Draft
89th Pick- Jeff Glass
90th Pick- Justin Pogge

What are the chances of the Team Canada goalies from the last two years being picked side by side in the third round of the NHL draft?

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
hawksfan50 said:
I am disappointed than another "B" (Derick Brassard) got the shaft ..he played well and would be futher insurance if say Cogliano goes down with an injury--I think it was a mistake by Sutter as he opted for ONLY 1 forward from the "Q" (Latendresse) --and so the "Q" gets shated again with only 3 players in total (Bourdon and Letang being the other two) ....I don't think he needed all 3 of Pyatt Boyd and Downie--...

this isn't directed at you specifically but there seems to be a general perception that Boyd has limited talent and is a pure grinder or something

only 3 forwards made the team from the WHL, and Boyd (who is 2nd in WHL scoring) has 10 more points than Comeau and 20 more points than Chipchura

he's also outscoring Setoguchi who alot of people are claiming was robbed of a spot

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
looooob said:
this isn't directed at you specifically but there seems to be a general perception that Boyd has limited talent and is a pure grinder or something

only 3 forwards made the team from the WHL, and Boyd (who is 2nd in WHL scoring) has 10 more points than Comeau and 20 more points than Chipchura

he's also outscoring Setoguchi who alot of people are claiming was robbed of a spot

Great point.

Boyd's physical play and aggression sometimes gets him labeled as a grinder and his skill can be overlooked.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
LaLaLaprise said:
The question becomes:

What did Dubnyk do to make the team? From all accounts all 3 of those goalies werent that great. Dubnyk must have done something to stand out among those 3.

It sure looks like coming into camp Sutter had the goalies ranked:

1) Pogge
2) Dubnyk
3) Price or Ellis

All three of Dubnyk, Price and Ellis didn't play very well during the camp so Sutter went with the two who he was most impressed with during the season and in the summer camp.

If Price and Ellis came in ranked below Dubnyk, they would have had to clearly outplay him to move on, which Sutter must not have felt they did.

:dunno:

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
Leaf Army said:
Mildly interesting fact....

2004 Entry Draft
89th Pick- Jeff Glass
90th Pick- Justin Pogge

What are the chances of the Team Canada goalies from the last two years being picked side by side in the third round of the NHL draft?

As much of an interesting stat that is one way from the past was the fact that Both Allan Bester and Ken Wreggett were both goalies for team Canada, played with each other the one year and were drafted by the Leafs in the third round of their respective draft year only a few picks apart. As somemore useless trivia. As well it is kinda ironic that Ottawa got Glass and Toronto has Pogge, just to add more to the rivalry

It seems the goaltender position is getting the most controversy, and a few have people have mentioned their play for their junior teams.

Well, here are the stats for all 4 goaltenders since November 1, since recent play is the most relevant for picking this team. I added in the 3 star selections as well.

I think you can see the divisions in the numbers between the 4 goaltenders fairly easily.

Justin Pogge
Games:13 GAA:1.45 SVPCT:0.937 SO:3
1st Star: 2
2nd Star 0
3rd Star: 3

Devan Dubnyk
Games:15 GAA:2.19 SVPCT:0.930 SO:1
1st Star: 3
2nd Star 5
3rd Star: 1

Carey Price
Games:16 GAA:2.17 SVPCT:0.931 SO:3
1st Star: 5
2nd Star 0

Julien Ellis
Games:11 GAA:3.12 SVPCT:0.902 SO:0
2nd Star 0
3rd Star: 2

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Given this camp either the Canadian shooters are terrific - virtually unstoppable - or Canada is not very deep in goaltenders.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
What people forget is that this is a team built for a short tournament - not an all-star team. Guys like Pogge and Glass are not that talented - but with young goalies in the WJC - maturity and stability are more important. Pogge will be the starter and will play most of the games and Sutter has seen plenty of Dubnyk over the years and he will be fine as the backup.

Price is a great young goalie and he will be there next year. He was auditioning for the backup role last night - and immediately gave up 3 soft goals after stepping on the ice. This is not what you want from your backup. He is also the youngest guy and everyone knows that this plays a role in the process -especially with goalies. Price will be ready in 06 - no worries.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Doomsday Device said:
It seems the goaltender position is getting the most controversy, and a few have people have mentioned their play for their junior teams.

Well, here are the stats for all 4 goaltenders since November 1, since recent play is the most relevant for picking this team. I added in the 3 star selections as well.

I think you can see the divisions in the numbers between the 4 goaltenders fairly easily.

Justin Pogge
Games:13 GAA:1.45 SVPCT:0.937 SO:3
2nd Star 0
3rd Star: 3

Devan Dubnyk
Games:15 GAA:2.19 SVPCT:0.930 SO:1
1st Star: 3
2nd Star 5

Carey Price
Games:16 GAA:2.17 SVPCT:0.931 SO:3
1st Star: 5
2nd Star 0

Julien Ellis
Games:11 GAA:3.12 SVPCT:0.902 SO:0
2nd Star 0
3rd Star: 2

as everyone knows price is the only reason TRI CITY wins any games.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
Richard_Zednik said:
on the Price vs Brule, Gainey has won a stanely cup as coach and GM of Dallas. Brule is just too fragile and small, we already have Koivu. Doesnt matter Price AND Brule will be on the team next year.

Sweet who cares about next year, he got cut this year. Easy way for a fan to justify Price being cut. And cut for goalies I believe of lesser talent, which isn't saying to mucha bout Carey.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
Habsaku said:
Dubnyk is also a big reason his team wins. He's a good goalie.

thats true, people forget that both Dubnyk and Price can stand on their heads when called upon but I think Dubnyk was taken since he's older and Sutter has been impressived with him suring the season

PEli*

I'm going to echo the sentiments of those confused about Dubnyk going over Ellis or Price. It makes no sense. Even if Price gets one game...it's experience for next year.

I'm never happy with the final roster of this team. Ever. But each year they're competitive and have some success. Whether they win gold or not, they'll be competitive.

That said...this team does not stack up to the USA at all. Not that they would have anyway (on paper, at least) but this is kind of weak. Where is the pure offense that this team will need to keep up with the Americans? IMO, you build your team to play against the best team/s in the tournament. I don't think this happened.

You can't backcheck your way to gold. But...what do I know?

ABwind

Jun 17, 2005
PEli said:
I'm going to echo the sentiments of those confused about Dubnyk going over Ellis or Price. It makes no sense. Even if Price gets one game...it's experience for next year.

I'm never happy with the final roster of this team. Ever. But each year they're competitive and have some success. Whether they win gold or not, they'll be competitive.

That said...this team does not stack up to the USA at all. Not that they would have anyway (on paper, at least) but this is kind of weak. Where is the pure offense that this team will need to keep up with the Americans? IMO, you build your team to play against the best team/s in the tournament. I don't think this happened.

When you don't have the talent to go for toe to toe offensively you build your team to beat them in a different way. That is what Sutter did with this team. We are gonna be much like the team that won Silver in Halifax. We are going to have success by forechcecking, being gritty, playing good defense and outworking other teams. If we win or not is a different story. But this year we don't have the guns to go toe to toe with the Yanks or Russians. This is one year that I sure am glad we have a Sutter coaching. Hard work can overcome a lot of shortcomings.

espo*

PEli said:

You don't wanna match up and go toe to toe offensively with a team like this years U.S squad as the poster above said.you want balance and a mix of guys that are able to score while making life miserable on that team by putting pressure on them on the forecheck and having guys who are good at and willing to suck it up on the backcheck.Trying to run and gun with them would have been a mistake. it would have been a big challenge regardless of what team we brought,but i trust that Sutter has brought the right mix to give us the best chance at meeting that challenge.That's all you can hope for as a fan.

Jarqui

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
A Sutter quote from the Leafs board:
"... thats the difference between the other three and Pogge was that the other three were giving up soft goals. Price didn't let in as many goals but he let in more of the soft variety which became the difference in the decision making process".

baston

Nov 25, 2005
Quebec City
Just like Patrick Roy said, if Team Canada doesn't need Angelo Esposito, then there is nothing to worry about, that team must be awesome.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
PEli said:

If I'm Sutter and my *** is on the line here, I take the two best goalies available, hell with next year.

What if Pogge goes down or struggles?? Sutter can't be worried with next year when he picks his team. He needs to take the guys that give him the best chance this year.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
baston said:
Just like Patrick Roy said, if Team Canada doesn't need Angelo Esposito, then there is nothing to worry about, that team must be awesome.

And what reason would he have to be a little biased?? ;) Oh wait....

mvprimate

Dec 16, 2005
So many people are *****ing about dubnyk over price. Does anyone here realize that they were fighting for the backup position. When price came in and let in those 3 quick goals, that didn't really scream I'm the backup you want.

But he was cold, didn't get any time to warm up, blah blah blah.
Isn't that what a backup is for. The starter plays poorly or gets injured, and the backup has to come in, COLD i might add.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad