Preseason Top 30 (OHL'ers) for the 2018 NHL Draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
https://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/201...nhl-draft.html

My preseason ranking of the OHL'ers (who played in the league in 2017) for the 2018 NHL Draft.

Heading into the season, I think the most noticeable thing about this year's OHL crop is the lack of a true top player (or players) on this current list. I honestly believe that a case can be made for any of the top 5/6 guys on my list currently as the #1. Because of that, it should come as no surprise that on early lists from scouting agencies, the OHL presence (in terms of current players) inside the top 10 is lacking. Of course, Andrei Svechnikov will probably cure that as a potential first overall pick, but it's interesting none the less. Which of these guys, if any, will really step up as potential top 10 picks?

Here's the list. Check the link for full write ups and HM's.

1. Akil Thomas
2. Ryan Merkley
3. Ryan McLeod
4. Ty Dellandrea
5. Evan Bouchard
6. Allan McShane
7. Barrett Hayton
8. Giovanni Vallati
9. Kevin Bahl
10. Dennis Busby
11. Owen Lalonde
12. Kirill Nizhnikov
13. Jacob Ingham
14. Serron Noel
15. Connor Roberts
16. David Levin
17. Matthew Struthers
18. Nathan Dunkley
19. Liam Foudy
20. Tyler Tucker
21. Kody Clark
22. Carter Robertson
23. Adam McMaster
24. Riley Damiani
25. Hunter Holmes
26. Declan Chisholm
27. Pavel Gogolev
28. Aidan Dudas
29. Max Grondin
30. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Thanks Brock. Things can change over the year but its great you put this out early as a "who to watch" and you put your name behind it.

I remember watching lots of Busby n Merkley as underage MM. Nice to see they have continued their development.

London with a couple players in the top 20 as well. As a Knights fan nice to see the keep drafting good talent n developing them.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Great list.

At least from my own perspective, I'd do the following:

- Drop Bahl (he's a truck, but haven't seen the same level of skill as others)
- Bring Dunkley up (every time I saw Kingston, he was their best player - had a fantastic playoff round against Hamilton)
- Bring up Robertson as well (could be inconsistent, but when he was on, he was Ottawa's best defenceman)

Great job!

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Great list indeed. Bahl really impressed me playing top line minutes with Hoefenmayer almost from the start of the season and his great performance at the Hlinka will hopefully springboard him this year. I'm thinking Peter Stratis could be a great sleeper next year- he had a delayed start to the year after taking a huge hit in the Gatineau exhibition game; I think that he could shine this year with good health.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I'd say Aidan Dudas would be a tad bit higher than 28th for the up and coming draft not because of his size but his worth ethic later in his first season.

Dudas may not have the size of some draft eligible players but as a 17 years coming into his 2nd season I'd expect big things in the Western conference from Dudas after getting much valued experience going deep into the postseason in his rookie year with Owen Sound

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Great list.

At least from my own perspective, I'd do the following:

- Drop Bahl (he's a truck, but haven't seen the same level of skill as others)
- Bring Dunkley up (every time I saw Kingston, he was their best player - had a fantastic playoff round against Hamilton)
- Bring up Robertson as well (could be inconsistent, but when he was on, he was Ottawa's best defenceman)

Great job!

No offense but at no time during the 2016-2017 season could anyone even come close to considering Robertson the best D-Man on the 67's. That status easily belonged to Noel Hoefenmeyer. Wildly inconsistent would not begin to describe Robertson. The 2nd half of the season was a train wreck and by the playoffs he wasn't even dressing. He does have loads of tools so he is far from being a write-off but if he is unable to find a toolbox to put his tools in, he won't be on NHL radar at all and possibly in the press box again where he spent the majority of the final quarter of the season and playoffs.

Keven Bahl, on the other hand, displays tremendous edging for a big 16 year old. As you said, he is a truck but he drives a lot more like a performance vehicle. The question is his offensive upside. Although He has strong mobility for a big kid, I am not sure he will develop any significant offense outside of first pass ability. After Hoefenmeyer, most would suggest Bahl was the 2nd best D-Man on the 67's roster and that includes post-Martinet lineups.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->