Prospect Info: Preseason Standouts

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
On Stafford. Did he play really well or did he benefit playing with the young talent.

If it's the latter, I don't mean it as a knock so much, cause if nothing else, if he can bring vet stability while also being able to finish off chances he will prove to be a great signing.

Could be both, which is fine

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Where you at Bleed?

How come I'm not listed as a preseason standout? I got the team playing a possession game in EVERY game I was behind the bench during this preseason! We had a 56% corsi in the games I coached! Did you see what happened in that game where I wasn't behind the bench in Brooklyn? See, I AM worth a few more points in the standings! You think Geoff Ward could have gotten this team to 70 points last year and 84 points the year before? Torts wouldn't have even gotten the team more points than I did! And I even bumped down Lovejoy's minutes, like all of you and Sunny Mehta wanted me to!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Dammit dude! What happened to my Hynes picture? LOL it was there when I posted it!

Frickin Photobucket!

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Imagine Stafford has 15-20 goals and 30-35 points at the deadline and we move him for a 2nd or 3rd. It's like magic from Shero. I have a sneaky suspicion we might need him though.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Thats two posters who thought Stafford was on a PTO...weird.
It seems people might be getting him confused with Hayes. I do think we signed Hayes to his PTO, even before we signed Stafford to a contract, though I might be wrong on that. We signed Stafford pretty late in the game. He and Vanek were the last two kind of ''Big'' name UFA's to sign. There's still Jagr.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Some preseason stats:
D.Stafford 4GP 4G 3A 7PTS
N.Hischier 4GP 4G 3A 7PTS
M.Johansson 4GP 1G 5A 6PTS
P.Zacha 4GP 3G 2A 5PTS
J.Bratt 4GP 2G 3A 5PTS
K.Palmieri 3GP 1G 3A 4PTS
A.Henrique 4GP 0G 4A 4PTS
J.Blandisi 4GP 1G 3A 4PTS
T.Hall 4GP 0G 3A 3PTS
J.Hayes 5GP 2G 1A 3PTS

K.Kinkaid 3GP 1.60GAA .955SAV%
C.Schneider 4GP 1.71GAA .921SAV%

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Some preseason stats:
D.Stafford 4GP 4G 3A 7PTS
N.Hischier 4GP 4G 3A 7PTS
M.Johansson 4GP 1G 5A 6PTS
P.Zacha 4GP 3G 2A 5PTS
J.Bratt 4GP 2G 3A 5PTS
K.Palmieri 3GP 1G 3A 4PTS
A.Henrique 4GP 0G 4A 4PTS
J.Blandisi 4GP 1G 3A 4PTS
T.Hall 4GP 0G 3A 3PTS
J.Hayes 5GP 2G 1A 3PTS

K.Kinkaid 3GP 1.60GAA .955SAV%
C.Schneider 4GP 1.71GAA .921SAV%
Obviously Kinkaid isn't really that good, nobody is over a significant amount of games. I still don't how anyone can prefer Wedgewood though. Yeah, he played great in his preseason half game. I don't think he even allowed one goal. His larger body of work just has a lot of question marks. Kinkaid has had two solid seasons as a backup, with one crappy one in the middle. Many. NHL backups do tend to fluctuate from year to year, due to inconsistent number of games played from year to year, some years they might play better or worse competition than others, etc. maybe Kinkaid is also one of those.

.921 isn't anything amazing for a same size of less than 4 full games, but it's certainly better than the .885 that Cody has had in other preseasons and exactly the type of goalie he's been in his career, over a significant number of games. He looked much better in the preseason than he did last regular season. Only one questionable goal and another so-so goal allowed. I think Rollie will get him back on track, if he wasn't already gonna be back to normal to begin with.

Reactions: Peter Sidorkiewicz

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It seems people might be getting him confused with Hayes. I do think we signed Hayes to his PTO, even before we signed Stafford to a contract, though I might be wrong on that. We signed Stafford pretty late in the game. He and Vanek were the last two kind of ''Big'' name UFA's to sign. There's still Jagr.

They were both brought in like a day or two apart iirc, so that's probably why.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Outside of the obvious names (Nico, Zacha, Bratt), I was most impressed by Mueller. Not having any idea of what to expect out of him, he skates pretty well for a guy his size and has a good, hard shot. Defensively, he didn't ever seem to be out of place either. I'm intrigued by him and like what I see so far. He'll be interesting to follow over the season as play beings to ramp up.

Reactions: AfroThunder396

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
FYI Bratt should have 6 pts. There's an assist in the OTT game he wasn't given credit for

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Blamdisi was also robbed of a goal way back in the first preseason game. They gave it to Mueller instead. Blandisi tipped it. Although I'm pretty sure he was credited with an assist on it anyway.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Blamdisi was also robbed of a goal way back in the first preseason game. They gave it to Mueller instead. Blandisi tipped it. Although I'm pretty sure he was credited with an assist on it anyway.
Unlike the regular season, they really don't work very hard to get the boxscores correct. :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Probably not right away but the D's suddenly a bit crowded atm with guys like Mueller and Prout stepping up in the preseason. Butcher will likely be on the team at some point this year.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How is Bucher doing so far? You guys think he will crack your top 6 on D?

He opened some eyes, that's for sure. IMO he's right on the cusp. His hockey IQ and most of his skills are NHL caliber, but his first couple of steps skating are weak. That's something that can be fixed with a skating coach, though. His straight-line speed is ok. I think he'll end up a decent 2nd pair D.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
He opened some eyes, that's for sure. IMO he's right on the cusp. His hockey IQ and most of his skills are NHL caliber, but his first couple of steps skating are weak. That's something that can be fixed with a skating coach, though. His straight-line speed is ok. I think he'll end up a decent 2nd pair D.

Yeah, i guess only time will tell. Skating is a concern which could be corrected. Kerfoot is in the same place but he needs someone to teach him how to shoot the puck. Otherwise he looked decent in a top 6 for Avs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Butcher's offensive skills are there. Kid is really smart. He just needs to round out his defensive game, and improve his skating somewhat.

He has the potential to be an excellent PP QB

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Butcher's offensive skills are there. Kid is really smart. He just needs to round out his defensive game, and improve his skating somewhat.

He has the potential to be an excellent PP QB
Yup. You can tell the skill is there and he has the potential to be a very good player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad