Prospect Info: Preseason Standouts

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Now that preseason is over and we have 10 days to wait until we can watch hockey that counts. Now seems as good as time as any to look back and recap a successfull preseason and hand some grades out.

Forwards that stood out. Nico of course. 4 goals in 4 games. 7 points to lead the league. He is fast, smart, slick, and has hands of silk. The biggest thing that stands out is how good is defensive game is.

Jesper Bratt - where the f*** did this kid come from? He is a one man PKer. He gains the zone with ease and makes great passes.

Paval Zacha - this isn't the same kid as last year. He has man strength now. He is using his body, skating into the zone with speed and confidence. He is shooting more and looks like the 1C we all hoped he could be.

McLeod- One of my disappointments. He didn't play bad, his speed was evident. He just didn't seem quite ready for the pro game. Not down on him at all, but someone has to get cut with so many kids standing out.

Speers - same deal as McLeod. Lots of speed here and expect him to be a first call up.

Blandisi - another kid who came into camp on a mission. Gaining the zone with authority, lots of really slick passes and scoring plays. He wants on this roster.

Stafford - really liked his game and he seems to be clicking with the two young skilled centers. Gives us a good source of goals for all our play makers.

Hall - hall is Hall. He is insanely skilled, but jr was clear he wasn't going 100% and was sloppy as a result. What changed this year is we can survive an off night for Hall, and he seems to really be enjoying having players that can keep up for him.

Henrique - rough start to camp, but he seemed to find some stride as it went on. Bratt and JQ looked very solid at his wings and he seems set to be the safety valve for the two kids who will start in the top 6.

Mojo - what a great pickup. Smart player who excels and fast zone entries, something we struggled with last year.

KPalms - someone shout Kyle out of a cannon in camp. He was in beast mode in each game he played. He looks ready for a really big season.

Steve Noesen - played a good hard working game with some skill. Poised to be a solid 4tg liner.

Jq- Tough start, but he seemed to settle down. RW might be a good spot for him. His shot remains his deadliest weapon.

Hayes - nothing too stand outish, but he played himself into a contract to be our 13tg and fill in on the 4th line.

Coleman - same as Hayes, but well enough to potentially cover 4C until Boyle is healthy.

I'll do defense tomorrow.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
By your assessment there are 13 forwards on the team that can contribute and more importantly they can contribute in a position they can succeed in. For example, Coleman in a 4C role is proper. Asking a guy like that to take the odd shift or kill the odd penalty gives him a chance to be successful without expecting much scoring from him. Similar to Hayes in that the team has a fairly clearly defined role available for him that plays to his strengths. We aren't asking forwards to play too high in the lineup. That's a luxury the Devils haven't had in a while. What a turnaround from even a year ago. Hopefully the young players have enough mental fortitude to make it through the marathon of the regular season. I'm optimistic that the light at the end of the tunnel is not an oncoming train.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Hischier - Exceeding my expectations. I didn't expect him to look this good right away at all. I expected more of a transition and growth period that a guy like Stamkos had to go through to adjust to the NHL speed and game, but Nico has looked incredible this preseason. I still think he's only going to get into the 40-50 point range at most, but that's a very good season for a rookie in the NHL today.

Bratt - No one had this guy on their radar, and no one expected him to even challenge for a roster spot let alone play so well that no one even thinks he should be left off based on performance. His transition game is fantastic, his board work is amazing for a 19 year old, his vision and passing is very good, and his ability to find open ice is so good he was often so elusive his own teammates were losing track of him. The one thing he does need to work on is that he tends to chase the puck a lot.

Zacha - He's been in beat mode this preseason. He has clearly put on a lot of muscle and it shows. He's also much more confident than he was before. I'm looking forward to a strong season from him.

McLeod - If he had played like this at our camp last season, he might have stood out, but the competition was so much better this year. He wasn't bad, but he was also clearly not ready. Best for him to go back to the OHL and have himself a great season there and play in the World Juniors.

Speers - Similar to McLeod, he might have stood out again if the competition wasn't so strong. He's fast and I still have hope for him to become a middle six winger, but he's not better than the guys that will make the team.

Mueller - Better than I was expecting. His transition game is fantastic and he's a perfect fit for the system the team is running.

Prout - Looks like a new player. Reading that article about him makes it all make sense, and it seems like he is a smart enough guy to know that he has to adapt or be left behind. He's dropped weight, gotten quicker, and it shows. I think he earned a spot this preseason, but we'll see what the coaches do.

Santini - He had a bit of a rough start, but the last few games he's been exceptional. He'll make this team and should have a good season.

Coleman - It's obvious that Coleman has gotten quicker since last season. He was all over the place this preseason, and should be a good fit as a 4th line center.

Reactions: MartyOwns

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
McLeod's obvious weakness is his shot. He has a LOT of work to do there just to get to NHL competency. I'd like to see him make better decisions with the puck on his stick. I'll be very disappointed if ends up as Miles Wood with better hands.

Reactions: britdevil

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Hischier could be #2C to start the season. Bratt, Butcher, Mueller should make the squad. Butcher won't for certain.

I'm not in the "for certain" camp on Butcher, especially if we decide to go with 8 defensemen, but I do think he (like Wood) would benefit from some time in the AHL (and, in Butcher's case, a dedicated skating coach).

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
I'm not in the "for certain" camp on Butcher, especially if we decide to go with 8 defensemen, but I do think he (like Wood) would benefit from some time in the AHL (and, in Butcher's case, a dedicated skating coach).
Oh, I agree. If he's not going to skate in every game he should be in the AHL, but honestly, you know, it wouldn't be the worst thing if he could spend the season up here.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
McLeod's obvious weakness is his shot. He has a LOT of work to do there just to get to NHL competency. I'd like to see him make better decisions with the puck on his stick. I'll be very disappointed if ends up as Miles Wood with better hands.

Totally agree with this.

Luckily we have time when it comes to McLeod. Let him develop in juniors. No need to rush him at all.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
idk, considering the fact that he came straight from the NCAA and has shown as much poise as he has tells me there's room for growth, AT the NHL level. he's looked pretty solid.

Reactions: Aethon

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
idk, considering the fact that he came straight from the NCAA and has shown as much poise as he has tells me there's room for growth, AT the NHL level. he's looked pretty solid.
There is definitely room for growth. He needs to clean up his defense and he can do it.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
With Bratt, Hischier, Zacha, Mueller, and Butcher all meeting or exceeding expectations I think some of the smaller things went a little unnoticed...

Severson looked very good this preseason, Moore was also better than expected but I really think Coleman had a fantastic camp and got no love for it. He was flying this preseason, strong on the forcheck, very good at creating plays and he was solid defensively. In fact, If Boyle isn't ready to go, I'd bet Coleman takes the spot.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Lovejoy stood out to me. He was clearly outplayed by Mueller, Butcher, Prout, Santini and Dyblenko: all guys fighting for roster spots. I unfortunately, however, would be willing to bet he's in the top 6 on opening night. He really should be no higher than 7th D, and even that's mostly based on the inexperience of the guys listed above.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Lovejoy stood out to me. He was clearly outplayed by Mueller, Butcher, Prout, Santini and Dyblenko: all guys fighting for roster spots. I unfortunately, however, would be willing to bet he's in the top 6 on opening night. He really should be no higher than 7th D, and even that's mostly based on the inexperience of the guys listed above.

Hopefully it can be chalked up to a veteran taking it easy in the preseason knowing their spot is secure, but after last season, my hopes could very well be dashed about that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
On Stafford. Did he play really well or did he benefit playing with the young talent.

If it's the latter, I don't mean it as a knock so much, cause if nothing else, if he can bring vet stability while also being able to finish off chances he will prove to be a great signing.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Another question I have is on Mueller. How good was he? I can't say I've been able to focus on him too much, but the reviews and the #'s look good, another guy overshadowed a bit by the high flying kids up front?

If Mueller turns into a good mid pairing guy? Chalk it up as another win in the trade department for Shero.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
On Stafford. Did he play really well or did he benefit playing with the young talent.

If it's the latter, I don't mean it as a knock so much, cause if nothing else, if he can bring vet stability while also being able to finish off chances he will prove to be a great signing.

He actually played well far as I could tell, complimented our younger players perfectly. He was smooth, doing all the right things in a given situation and honestly he was another bright spot I did not expect in this preseason. I thought he would just be a cheap plug but if preseason was any indication I think you're going to see him contribute as well. Vet presence and instincts, and he was hustling out there and keeping up with the kids.

Another question I have is on Mueller. How good was he? I can't say I've been able to focus on him too much, but the reviews and the #'s look good, another guy overshadowed a bit by the high flying kids up front?

If Mueller turns into a good mid pairing guy? Chalk it up as another win in the trade department for Shero.

Mueller was absolutely a revelation so far, I think he did really well and easily exceeded expectations that for most of us was a total unknown until now. He skates well, showed some better than expected decision making most times, apparently has a darn decent slapshot that he usually puts on net, and there is no doubt in my mind that if he keeps it up he will prove to be a good pickup for what we paid. Prove being the key part of all that but yeah, I have feelings of dread concerning only one D-man heading into the season...and that's LJ.

Reactions: ForeverJerseyGirl

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Mueller reminded me of a better skating Larsson out there from what I saw of him.

Not saying he will or won't be as good, but still.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Mueller seems like a perfect fit for the way the Devils want to play.

He's tall with a long reach, but also exceptionally mobile. He plays a simple game -- quick pass up the ice, hard accurate shots on net, wrists pucks in for rebounds, etc. His skating allows him to be aggressive on defense and when pinching.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
While kind of obvious, I'm going with one not as obvious as Hischier, Zacha, Bratt, etc. Lovejoy to me has got to be as disappointing as any of the "regulars." Mueller, Loov, Butcher, etc have all outplayed him and I'm not even entirely sure it's close. Prout, to me, should be RD3 and Lovejoy can be the 7th. I'd roll with

Greene-Severson
Moore-Santini
Mueller-Prout

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Prout really had an excellent camp. He was pretty worthless last year, I give him a lot of credit for getting himself in better shape and playing like his career depends on it. I'd much rather keep him than Lovejoy at this point.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Mueller seems like a perfect fit for the way the Devils want to play.

He's tall with a long reach, but also exceptionally mobile. He plays a simple game -- quick pass up the ice, hard accurate shots on net, wrists pucks in for rebounds, etc. His skating allows him to be aggressive on defense and when pinching.

My guess is that you are spot on which means the forwards have to keep moving their feet to give him relatively easy and visible short to medium range passes to transition the puck. If the team asks him to skate with it or the forwards push to far up ice leaving him with tough passes on the breakout he will struggle in that department. So far he has looked better defensively and shown a bit of a physical side than the SJ fans let on.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Prout really had an excellent camp. He was pretty worthless last year, I give him a lot of credit for getting himself in better shape and playing like his career depends on it. I'd much rather keep him than Lovejoy at this point.

I think Lovejoy made a lot of sense as a minute muncher on last year's team. When the team is bad to begin with and worse after management throws in the towel with a relatively big sell off at the deadline you want a vet out there to just play and shrug off the hopelessness and team failures. A young defender would likely have lost confidence unless he was an exceptional talent. I'm not sure his contract length was necessary but my guess is that Shero couldn't foresee the team seemingly turning a corner this quickly based on the way last season finished up and figured a hard working if limited vet would be a good role model and locker room guy as the kids start to filter into the lineup. Given the Butcher/Mueller aquistions and the apparent development of Santini coupled with a rejuvenated Prout the need for an old school defender like Lovejoy is gone. My only question for Shero would be why sign an obviously heavy footed old school defender who clearly didn't fit with the direction the team wanted to go? At least Moore fit the bill even if he plays a flawed game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Both I think. His point production obviously benefited from playing with other good players, but he also looked very good out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->