GDT: Preseason Game "1": Coyotes @ Ducks - 7PM

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Any word on Wood? I saw he wasn't a -
Caught a bit of the 3rd period via Periscope and while it was difficult to see clearly, appeared Kyle had a 2 mishaps at his own blue line (turnover/misplays).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Wood can handle the speed and gameplay of the AHL just fine, but gets burned and can't keep up at all in the NHL, what's the best way to help him? Alternate between big minutes in the AHL and small minutes in the NHL?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
If Wood can handle the speed and gameplay of the AHL just fine, but gets burned and can't keep up at all in the NHL, what's the best way to help him? Alternate between big minutes in the AHL and small minutes in the NHL?

This is about right. I'd start him in the AHL on the top pairing down there and make him the first call-up. With Hjalmarsson, Demers, Schenn and Clendening on the right side ahead of him, though, I don't think he gets an NHL game unless a couple of them get hurt or traded (I can see Schenn moving at the deadline, especially if Clendening or Wood looks capable of playing third pairing minutes at ES).

If and when Wood gets NHL time this year, I'd expect it to be fairly sheltered. Maybe 12-14 minutes at ES with a responsible partner and PP2 duties on the point.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
This is about right. I'd start him in the AHL on the top pairing down there and make him the first call-up. With Hjalmarsson, Demers, Schenn and Clendening on the right side ahead of him, though, I don't think he gets an NHL game unless a couple of them get hurt or traded (I can see Schenn moving at the deadline, especially if Clendening or Wood looks capable of playing third pairing minutes at ES).

If and when Wood gets NHL time this year, I'd expect it to be fairly sheltered. Maybe 12-14 minutes at ES with a responsible partner and PP2 duties on the point.

I agree about Wood but if the team is commited to win, then Clendening shouldn't be a regular. Really just a right shooting Connauton. Also, should Chychrun miss some time then Hjalmarsson probably has to start on the left side.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Listed among our scratches on NHL.com is Dimitri Pestunov who we drafted in the 3rd round 14 years ago.

He must have been so disappointed :laugh: ...actually, turns out he's in Yekaterinburg in the KHL.

(speaking of which, I caught a SKA St. Petersburg game on Eleven Sports recently (Directv 623), and former Coyotes Tikhonov and Plotnikov have been joined on the reigning Gagarin Cup champions by none other than one David Rundblad)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I agree about Wood but if the team is commited to win, then Clendening shouldn't be a regular. Really just a right shooting Connauton. Also, should Chychrun miss some time then Hjalmarsson probably has to start on the left side.

Why would Hammer start on the left side? We have OEL and Gogo there already. That would the right side terribly weak.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He must have been so disappointed :laugh: ...actually, turns out he's in Yekaterinburg in the KHL.

(speaking of which, I caught a SKA St. Petersburg game on Eleven Sports recently (Directv 623), and former Coyotes Tikhonov and Plotnikov have been joined on the reigning Gagarin Cup champions by none other than one David Rundblad)

They all belong together. Any sighting of Gormley?:)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Why would Hammer start on the left side? We have OEL and Gogo there already. That would the right side terribly weak.

Don't overrate Goligoski. The way he played last season he's not more than a 3rd pairing guy.
My post was about Wood potentially being the 1st call up. In case of injuries and depending on where they are, I'd rather call up Mayo or Wood than to play Connauton/Clendening. So if Chychrun can't go, I think Hjalmarsson should start on the left side.

smoot

Jul 13, 2017

You'd have to think it would be

OEL-Hjalmarsson
Goligoski-Demers
Schenn/Connie/Whoever-Clendening/Whoever?

Wood has looked pretty rough so far, at least to me. Slow and out of position often.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wood lost any shot at the NHL this year when we acquired Demers.

I disagree. Connauton and Clendening aren't more than depth options. Solid puckmovers but not strong enough and terrible against the puck. Just not solid enough.
The Coyotes only have 6 regular NHLers right now. If one of them is down like Chychrun now, then somebody has to step in. If Wood or Mayo are good enough to play, then they should play over the other two every day of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00