Premier League Round 28

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Wenger problem is largely that his methods are incompatible with the modern game. It's not only the transfer stuff anymore. What was once innovative on the field no longer is. What's innovative now is the way City is planning their attacks. Whenever they get the ball, Aguero is showing to midfield along with a midfielder pushing up to receive the ball from him and immediately spread the ball to the opposite side. Liverpool and Tottenham do the same things, United doesn't, but they get points due to defensive solidity, because their coach does know how to defend these things. Wenger's defensive organization is pretty much laughable and the coach has no idea to prepare his defenders to deal with repetitive, rehearsed attacking movements. Their defensive line is almost at midfield every time Aguero receives the ball, there are no midfielders between City's primary attacking plan and the goal. Actually surprised they didn't score more. The only chances Arsenal can count on getting are from outside the area and defeating an athletic goalkeeper like Ederson from there is going to be very difficult.

Wenger's had the same coaching staff at Arsenal for ages, which is another problem entirely. He has nobody to tell him what top clubs are doing on the training ground and seems genuinely oblivious.
I agree with your post, but these have been said back since 2009. I know for one said these things like 4 seasons ago where I was chastised for being anti-Wenger. I have been more open since then leading to the belief that Wenger isn't entirely to be blamed though, these problems run far deeper than just one single person who is labelled a scape-goat. However, in Wenger terms, his defencive scheme hasn't work since that 2009 season for me - it's like an ice cream factory plant on the sun's surface. Too many players forward, too easy to long-ball against, and too easy to pass through the middle of the pitch (which blows my mind) leading to all these counterattacking losses. Arsenal might win one of the legs, but we're going out on GD.

Excited for this season to be over so i can refill myself with false hope for next year! #YaGunnersYa
And it's a World Cup year where deals will be much harder to conduct with players being across the continent.

We have a boat load of players that simply need to be extracted...

- Cech
- Ospina
- Mustafi
- Chambers
- Holding (on loan)
- Mertesacker
- Xhaka

That's our practically our entire backline and Xhaka need to be replaced with a player close to world class IMO.

world's mightiest club
We just need an Arab Spring, don't worry because it should come eventually with all these losses. This is why I wanted Arsenal keep losing as many games as possible a couple years ago.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah definitely need a new spine to the team. I would also throw Laurent Koscielny into the mix of people that should not start. He has been a great over the years but he has lost a step in his game. He does not necessarily need to go, but I don't think he is good enough to be starting in big games.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
We just need an Arab Spring, don't worry because it should come eventually with all these losses. This is why I wanted Arsenal keep losing as many games as possible a couple years ago.
I remember feeling that way about Brendan Rodgers.

Alas, a year after I thought Wenger might be sacked, he has not been sacked. I'll believe it when I see it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah definitely need a new spine to the team. I would also throw Laurent Koscielny into the mix of people that should not start. He has been a great over the years but he has lost a step in his game. He does not necessarily need to go, but I don't think he is good enough to be starting in big games.
I don't mind getting rid of Kos either, but I also think he would be a suitable off the bench back-up.

I remember feeling that way about Brendan Rodgers.

Alas, a year after I thought Wenger might be sacked, he has not been sacked. I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm with you, I simply cannot see him getting sacked by a source above him. What Avs did in the past with the Sacco and LaCroix regime was fire all the coaches, but move LaCroix from GM to consultant, scout, advisor sort of roll (until he eventually left). I suggest the same thing will happen with Wenger.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah Kos would be good off the bench and for mentoring. Plus keeping him means some consistency at the back

Jan 3, 2012
mfw arsenal get wrecked at home

123.gif

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Almost no point in discussing individual players at Arsenal as long as Wenger is still there. Even ManUtd under Ferguson lost their way a bit when he retired the first time (or said he would). Difficult to say how that squad would behave and work under a new guy. Not saying there is nothing to fix, but look at how a guy liker Walker changed under Pochettino etc. Players like Mustafi, Xhaka etc. might actually be half decent after all....

Mar 1, 2002
Spurs' Pochettino: 'Football is joy, not drama'

"Because for me football means joy, happiness," Pochettino said. "I want to enjoy doing my job, enjoy helping people to achieve their dream. It cannot be a drama. When it's a drama, come on!

"If your own fans don't want or like you, there's no point to carry on working because you're going to damage your club, first of all," he added. "The fans are important, are everything, and at some point you need to go away because the club is more important than any person.

Reactions: Fro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->