GWT: Premier League Match day 29

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
He's lower on his pace for PL goals, but overall last year he had 26 goals +7 assists in 39 competitive games for Everton. This year he's got 23 goals + 8 assists in 41 competitive games

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I guess we won’t agree on this one. In my opinion you are wrongly evaluating the talent of the individual players based on a team that doesn’t work. You’ll probably argue the opposite saying it is because the players aren’t good enough the team doesn’t work. I think I have a strong case with so many players clearly having played better elsewhere quite recently. Not sure why you seem to disagree with that, but you clearly do.

My evaluations are not based on how they've played with United though. I was never Lukaku's biggest fan and I voiced my opinions about Pogba before his move to United while he was still at Juventus. Sanchez, like I said, I really like and de Gea is a top 3 keeper in the world, and is probably the best shot stopper in the world (which works very well with how Mourinho likes to structure his teams). Martial has always been inconsistent and Evilo was never that high on him. When have others played better elsewhere recently? Also production =/= playing better...Lukaku is the same player but the team isn't built around him anymore so of course he's going to take a step back from last season but he's still scoring at roughly the same rate. He just isn't an elite player.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
There’s definitely talent on United , but they have a couple glaring holes , and players that don’t fit each other.

Couple that with a poor transfer policy , and Mourinho’s impatience and you have what you see now.

I also think the amount of elite managers in the Prem have exposed Mourinho’s limitations. He can’t buy his way to a title anymore , nor is he the smartest manager in England anymore.

If there was any doubt Pep was better before , I hope people realize it now. It isn’t close.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
In fairness to Rashford, he's still barely 20.

Oh absolutely. My point wasn’t Rashford not being good or potentially becoming good. On the contrary I think he has a lot going for him in terms of ability.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
My biggest gripe with United and the coaching is that a team that has Lukaku, Martial, Sanchez, Rashford, Mata, and Pogba shouldn’t struggle to score goals.

I’m not Roms biggest fan but he’s proved he’s one of the 10 best goal scorers in the league. Martial and Rashford while young and still somewhat inconsistent can score and provide individual magic at times. Mata has been one of the best AM’s in the last ~5 years and is a good finisher and playmaker. Pogba has bags of talent offensively and can set up goals and score them as well.

Sure none of them are elite talents except for Sanchez maybe, but there’s enough talent out of those 6 players that we shouldn’t struggle to score 2 goals a game. We shouldn’t struggle to create 2 chances a game. That to me comes down to a lack of coaching.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I can't see Blanc sitting out another season.

Wenger will complete his contract and then retire IMO.

Wenger might get sacked if they get eliminated in Europa.

Yea yea I know. You got to see it to believe it.

And Blanc's named hasn't come up at all from the list of replacements. Surprising really.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
My biggest gripe with United and the coaching is that a team that has Lukaku, Martial, Sanchez, Rashford, Mata, and Pogba shouldn’t struggle to score goals.

Mata is the interesting one to me, he seems to be the one guy in that group that has an above average footballing brain. United have lots of power and pace and guys willing to make runs but at the moment nobody to make the passes. They need to find away to get him into the team.

Maybe Jose has to do with Mata what Pep has done with David Silva and make him part of a midfield 3 (in place of McTominay). Not really Jose's style though.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Mata is the interesting one to me, he seems to be the one guy in that group that has an above average footballing brain. United have lots of power and pace and guys willing to make runs but at the moment nobody to make the passes. They need to find away to get him into the team.

Maybe Jose has to do with Mata what Pep has done with David Silva and make him part of a midfield 3 (in place of McTominay). Not really Jose's style though.

Jose was the one that ran Mata out of Chelsea.

This team doesn't fit Jose's style. He needs all his players to be over 6 feet so they can transform into a Megabus every game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->