Post-Game Talk: Preds vs Pittsburgh Penguins :: 11/18/23 :: 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I’m not sure why we feel the need to shoehorn Schenn into the lineup just because we gave him a stupid contract. The Malkin goal was because he shaded over to cover a forward that was no threat leaving Malkin wide open. We’re still winning so whatever but it’s very frustrating he seemingly gets special privileges because he’s a vet on a bigger contract.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I’m not sure why we feel the need to shoehorn Schenn into the lineup just because we gave him a stupid contract. The Malkin goal was because he shaded over to cover a forward that was no threat leaving Malkin wide open. We’re still winning so whatever but it’s very frustrating he seemingly gets special privileges because he’s a vet on a bigger contract.
I mean tbh he hasn't played all year so because of that they are trying to bring him slowly and get some time without just throwing him out there and costing us a game. I get the sentiment, but when the GM signs a guy like that as a coach you gotta try and work him in. Every coach in the league would be doing the same thing.

Now if we go through this, he stinks, and Brunette doesn't want to play him then he can go sit down with Trotz and let him know the guy just doesn't have it anymore. That conversation isn't going to happen though until he gets a chance to play and show it though.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I wouldnt be sad if we traded him while we can before the rest of the league catches on to how he is playing here. I just hate that it ends up in stastney being sent down or fabbro in the pressbox. Management needs to figure out the top 6 d beyond this season and focus on that.

Reactions: SouthNash

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If people really wonder about whether lineup decisions are influenced by the GM... well, of course they are. At least in our team's situation; we're not some established Cup-contending juggernaut where the coach has proven his track record. They are in constant communication. There is a concerted building effort going on here. It's natural.

Once Upon A Time, Schenn was a good player against Coach Trotz, and so now GM Trotz signed Schenn to a nice contract... so he's going to play for awhile. Even if he continues to struggle. People should remember that Schenn had a very nice little revival in Vancouver apparently... but his reviews from other recent stops over many previous years had not been so great, and the Canucks still only got a 3rd round pick for him at his revived peak on an ultra-cheap contract. So it's not inconceivable this is just what he is going to be, even healthy and back in his best groove. Gradually over time, I would expect that could still result in a transition to a Borowiecki-like role. But he will get A LOT more slack before that happens, of course.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I mean tbh he hasn't played all year so because of that they are trying to bring him slowly and get some time without just throwing him out there and costing us a game. I get the sentiment, but when the GM signs a guy like that as a coach you gotta try and work him in. Every coach in the league would be doing the same thing.

Now if we go through this, he stinks, and Brunette doesn't want to play him then he can go sit down with Trotz and let him know the guy just doesn't have it anymore. That conversation isn't going to happen though until he gets a chance to play and show it though.
I get the rationale but I also think it is stupid even if it is something every coach in the league would do. We're supposedly trying to build a winning culture so forcing a guy in the lineup simply because he is a vet doesn't jive with that to me. If Fabbro or Carrier had been the guy to get hurt game one there is no way they see the lineup while everyone ahead of them is playing well so why does Schenn get that treatment. Plenty of guys have lost their lineup spots due to injury in the past and had to wait to get back into the lineup. If he needed icetime to get back up to speed we could always have sent him for a conditioning stint in Milwaukee. It is uncommon for teams to do that to vets but it is an option.

The other thing is he could have cost us that game last night. The Malkin goal was the result of him (and Smith) chasing the puck carrier and letting Malkin walk in and get a clean shot off. He also had a terrible pinch at an unnecessary time that ended up leading to a goal in the Jets game the other night. I'd have to believe that if any younger player made those same mistakes they wouldn't be getting the benefit of the doubt like he is.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I get the rationale but I also think it is stupid even if it is something every coach in the league would do. We're supposedly trying to build a winning culture so forcing a guy in the lineup simply because he is a vet doesn't jive with that to me. If Fabbro or Carrier had been the guy to get hurt game one there is no way they see the lineup while everyone ahead of them is playing well so why does Schenn get that treatment. Plenty of guys have lost their lineup spots due to injury in the past and had to wait to get back into the lineup. If he needed icetime to get back up to speed we could always have sent him for a conditioning stint in Milwaukee. It is uncommon for teams to do that to vets but it is an option.

The other thing is he could have cost us that game last night. The Malkin goal was the result of him (and Smith) chasing the puck carrier and letting Malkin walk in and get a clean shot off. He also had a terrible pinch at an unnecessary time that ended up leading to a goal in the Jets game the other night. I'd have to believe that if any younger player made those same mistakes they wouldn't be getting the benefit of the doubt like he is.
Benefit of being a Vet, this isn't new.

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Here’s the moment before the “interference” call the shittsburgh fans are crying about.
IMG_3109.jpeg

It’s blatantly obvious that Karlsson is holding and pulling on O’Reilly’s stick do drag him off side moments before Crosby plows him over.

That fan base can shove that right up their caboose and STFU.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Here’s the moment before the “interference” call the shittsburgh fans are crying about.
View attachment 775264

It’s blatantly obvious that Karlsson is holding and pulling on O’Reilly’s stick do drag him off side moments before Crosby plows him over.

That fan base can shove that right up their caboose and STFU.
There's maybe a slight chance O'Reilly used that situation to put himself in a more advantageous position for Forsberg's rush, but there's nothing the ref could have used to call anything. 4D chess move from ROR if there was any intentionality to the play.

Reactions: weeze and predhead1

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
There's maybe a slight chance O'Reilly used that situation to put himself in a more advantageous position for Forsberg's rush, but there's nothing the ref could have used to call anything. 4D chess move from ROR if there was any intentionality to the play.
4D chess is possible but I think it was more like shear panic and determination to stay onside.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Great, great win. I enjoyed that. :yo:

I told you, you can't stop Big Sexy, you can only hope to contain him! :naughty:

Lauzon laying out Guentzel was beautiful.

Pens and their fans can all suck it. They've been getting calls for almost 20 years. The players and coach bitch and cry more than any other team. They're never at fault, every penalty is a personal attack on them. Just a whole bunch of spoiled brats.

It's funny, people don't like it when you bring facts. Karlsson was the one that should have had the penalty. He was holding RORs stick trying to pull him across the blue line. And Crosby had plenty of time to see ROR and EK tangled at the line and avoid all that. Like Crispy used to say, keep your head on a swivel!

Besides, Karlsson doing all that with ROR took himself AND Crosby out of the play! It was his own damn fault!

Suck it hard, jagoffs.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Great, great win. I enjoyed that. :yo:

I told you, you can't stop Big Sexy, you can only hope to contain him! :naughty:

Lauzon laying out Guentzel was beautiful.

Pens and their fans can all suck it. They've been getting calls for almost 20 years. The players and coach bitch and cry more than any other team. They're never at fault, every penalty is a personal attack on them. Just a whole bunch of spoiled brats.

It's funny, people don't like it when you bring facts. Karlsson was the one that should have had the penalty. He was holding RORs stick trying to pull him across the blue line. And Crosby had plenty of time to see ROR and EK tangled at the line and avoid all that. Like Crispy used to say, keep your head on a swivel!

Besides, Karlsson doing all that with ROR took himself AND Crosby out of the play! It was his own damn fault!

Suck it hard, jagoffs.
Loved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad