Post-Game Talk: Preds @ Vegas 1/15 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
I don't think they were Perds tonight, just straight losers.

Also...

Vegas had key injured players out, including Eichel. Won only three games out of their last whatever. But most importantly, you also have to remember, they're CHAMPIONS!

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Someone should probably tell Saros the goal is for him to actually make a save.
In his defense, Vegas was shooting at him from inside the dots for the first 3 goals. Sometimes it was only 10 to 15 feet from the crease. You are not stopping all of those shots.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
In his defense, Vegas was shooting at him from inside the dots for the first 3 goals. Sometimes it was only 10 to 15 feet from the crease. You are not stopping all of those shots.
All of those close shots were the result of rebounds left in front of the goal after shots that could have been controlled.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
O
All of those close shots were the result of rebounds left in front of the goal after shots that could have been controlled.
One of Stone's goals was not a rebound. He was one-on-one with Saros with no other Pred near him. That happened at my end of the ice. Juice stopped a few of those, but you can't expect 100%.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The first one was a rebound the other two weren't. Second and third goals you want Saros to make one of those saves at least but they were off of odd man rushes. I actually thought Saros was pretty decent last night we just couldn't get any goal support. He didn't win us a game but he also didn't lose it for us.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
The first one was a rebound the other two weren't. Second and third goals you want Saros to make one of those saves at least but they were off of odd man rushes. I actually thought Saros was pretty decent last night we just couldn't get any goal support. He didn't win us a game but he also didn't lose it for us.
He may not have lost the game but that first goal was a killer. That goal was all because of rebounds that Saros left. After completely controlling the game for the first 15 minutes the Preds didn't get another shot in the period after the goal and the defense started way over playing shooters leaving open opponents on the backside.

I'm not going to blame the loss on Saros, obviously, the team needs to score more than one goal, just trying to point out how that first goal significantly changed the game.

Vegas went from being dominated in possession and barely defending the net front while blocking a ton of shots to jumping up ice looking for odd man opportunities on the rush because they had the lead.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
He may not have lost the game but that first goal was a killer. That goal was all because of rebounds that Saros left. After completely controlling the game for the first 15 minutes the Preds didn't get another shot in the period after the goal and the defense started way over playing shooters leaving open opponents on the backside.

I'm not going to blame the loss on Saros, obviously, the team needs to score more than one goal, just trying to point out how that first goal significantly changed the game.

Vegas went from being dominated in possession and barely defending the net front while blocking a ton of shots to jumping up ice looking for odd man opportunities on the rush because they had the lead.
I mean yeah the goal was killer and a rebound to the slot isn't good. At the same time on that play Carrier with better stick work breaks ups Stones pass on the zone entry killing the play there. Also three guys don't need to all collapse on 16 for them when he's taking a low percentage shot which is what allows Stone to get the rebound and shot off without being challenged at all.

As far as the overall game I put the inability to bury a goal while we dominated possession at the beginning of the game as way more of a killer than giving up that first goal. I'm all for criticizing Saros but this to me is a game falls way more on the shoulders of the rest of the team than Saros.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If " x " did better is not a good excuse imo. The whole purpose of a goalie is to stop mistakes. If they aren't doing that you might as well play with 6 skaters.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
You shouldnt require your goalie to keep it to 1 goal or less in order to win a game. Yes, it wouldve been nice if saros saved one or two of those goals against and if we didnt leave stone wide open in the slot for goals 1 and 2 and deflect his shot for goal 3. Then again, we only scored 1 goal... you arent going to win alot of games that way no matter how perfect your goalie is. Offense has to do better.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
If " x " did better is not a good excuse imo. The whole purpose of a goalie is to stop mistakes. If they aren't doing that you might as well play with 6 skaters.
I'm not typically one to hold goalies to a higher standard than the rest of the team. Saros should have been able to deflect that puck into the corner and it led to a goal there but Carrier, Lauzon, and Trenin all could have made plays to stop the goal too so it is silly to me to blame that goal solely on Saros's lack of rebound control.

You do need your goalie to fix mistakes the defense makes but you also need the rest of the team to step up at opportune moments to which didn't happen last night. Ultimately, I thought Saros had a pretty average performance last night which was good enough to win that game. Defensively despite some breakdowns I felt we also played just ok but it was well enough to win. The main problem was that scoring one goal isn't going to win you many games. Saros has plenty of performances recently where I feel you can heavily lay the blame on him, but last night wasn't one of them.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not typically one to hold goalies to a higher standard than the rest of the team. Saros should have been able to deflect that puck into the corner and it led to a goal there but Carrier, Lauzon, and Trenin all could have made plays to stop the goal too so it is silly to me to blame that goal solely on Saros's lack of rebound control.

You do need your goalie to fix mistakes the defense makes but you also need the rest of the team to step up at opportune moments to which didn't happen last night. Ultimately, I thought Saros had a pretty average performance last night which was good enough to win that game. Defensively despite some breakdowns I felt we also played just ok but it was well enough to win. The main problem was that scoring one goal isn't going to win you many games. Saros has plenty of performances recently where I feel you can heavily lay the blame on him, but last night wasn't one of them.
I'm not blaming the loss on Saros, but he let in 3 goals, none of which required a Herculine effort on his part to stop.

Reactions: SouthNash
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad