Preds to rename Gaylord Entertainment Center "Nashville Arena"

iceman64

Jan 5, 2007
Kansas City
Do they still own the Grand Ole Opry, Wildhorse Saloon, General Jackson showboat etc? Seems like every time I go to Nashville and spend money Gaylord Entertainment sees the $ because they own everything.........that hotel (Opryland) they have in Nashville is outstanding.

Last edited:

jsginsocal

Feb 1, 2007
Orange County, CA
why ? their cheques for $ 3 million a year haven't bounced. and for a franchise that averaged over 3500 free ticket giveaways per game last season, $ 3 million is a substantial amount - so considering the 1st place preds currently receive $ 0 in current naming rights coyotes' fans should be ecstatic for their naming rights deal.

Get your facts straight...2500 free tickets last year and significantly less this year.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Get your facts straight...2500 free tickets last year and significantly less this year.

Awww! Don't correct him! IF you let him go on his own, he would be claiming Nashville gave away 21,000 tickets to every game by training camp. ;)

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Awww! Don't correct him! IF you let him go on his own, he would be claiming Nashville gave away 21,000 tickets to every game by training camp. ;)
Umm...just to clarify things a little bit and not let this get too far out of proportion as other misnomers about the Predators have...

Hawker14 was initially posting about Phoenix attendance and Coyotes "comped" ticket numbers. The follow-up was also about the Coyotes as well.

These numbers didn't have anything to do with Nashville and just so everyone is on the same page, because I'm sure it'll be brought up again...Leipold stated that Nashville has on average 1500 "comped" tickets per game.

This number of course was misused by Darren Eliot last week in an article flattering the Preds when he stated that there were on average 1500 less "butts in the seats" than the announced attendance...which was blantantly wrong.

To get back on topic...

Coming from CT, I too was amazed at the name of the arena in such a society that we live in today. I was especially astonished that it was in the middle of the Bible Belt region. However, I quickly learned of Gaylord Entertainment and their business.

I'm happy to see the name go back to Nashville Arena (although I liked the HOP (Home of the Predators) and BOB (Barn on Broadway) references that Pete Weber and Terry Crisp have used since last season). I think that we will see a sponsor for the arena in due time, but until then...Nashville Arena it is.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Yeah, I should have put Phoenix in that post rather than Nashville. My bad for posting while rushed.

Transported Upstater

It was a compromise. The right-side wanted to name it "The Arena of our Lord," the left-side wanted to name it "Gay Marriage Center"

When we meet in the middle, we all win.

:biglaugh: That's GOLD!

DeathFromAbove

Jul 17, 2006
"If Preds get their way, name 'Nashville Arena' will be back

By BRYAN MULLEN
Staff Writer

The Predators, already struggling with lukewarm fan support, have apparently had no luck finding a sponsor to step up and pay for the naming rights to the Gaylord Entertainment Center, and the hockey team wants to change the name back to the Nashville Arena.

Gaylord Entertainment Co. signed a 20-year, $80 million naming rights and partial ownership deal with the Predators in 1999. But the agreement was terminated in 2004, with Gaylord agreeing to pay the Predators more than $9 million over the next five years.

The Predators declined to comment Wednesday but have repeatedly said they are working to get a new naming rights partner for the arena.

Money from naming rights is important to NHL teams, especially ones in small markets like Nashville. The Predators rely heavily on the National Hockey League's revenue sharing, have struggled with corporate support, and are still looking for a minority owner to help improve ties with the city's corporate community."

link to full article: http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070308/SPORTS02/703080410/1028

That's pretty gay.

lemieux32*

why ? their cheques for $ 3 million a year haven't bounced. and for a franchise that averaged over 3500 free ticket giveaways per game last season, $ 3 million is a substantial amount - so considering the 1st place preds currently receive $ 0 in current naming rights coyotes' fans should be ecstatic for their naming rights deal.

Apparently you didn't read the part that said that Gaylord was still paying the Preds $9m.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
I wish they could keep the traditional names- my fav is Northlands Arena (Coliseum) - I mean just the PERFECT name for the Edmonton arena. It has almost a romantic ring to it- up in the far north and brings memories of the 80s Oilers and everything- I mean I really wish that name could have stayed.

Oh definitely, Northlands is the best name for an arena you could imagine. I didn't mention it because I thought it was actually a corporate name itself, but apparently Northlands is a non-profit community org, so yeah, best arena name evar.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Apparently you didn't read the part that said that Gaylord was still paying the Preds $9m.
He's still fixated on this idea that the Predators give away 3500 tickets to every game ... including all 41 regular-season games this year. He's too busy to be bothered with the facts.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Definitely worse than Gaylord.

Does anyone know why that contract got terminated between the Gaylords and Nashville?

As mentioned. Gaylord had the naming rights as soon as the arena was announced...before the NHL was a definite...at the time, Gaylord's focus was in Mid Tennessee with the Opryland Hotel, Gen Jackson Showboat, the Grand Ole Opry, and Opry Mills Mall...since that time, they've pulled out a lot of those stakes to focus on opening new luxury hotels(one in Dallas, that I know of) as well as a convention center somewhere in Texas. I think they viewed it as money that could be spent elsewhere. This was after they had welshed on payments for some time, something the Preds eventually sued them over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->