Preds...politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Of course they are- but surely you know what I meant, right?????

When it comes to this topic, these two types of companies could not be more different. Apples and Oranges.

The Predators are a company with dependencies on local and state government decisions for their survival. The team's interest in local politics is based on their bottom line. The lease is based on local politics ... getting capital upgrades to the taxpayer-funded facility is based on local politics ... therefore having the mayor that the team sees as most friendly to their perspectives is beneficial to the organization.

Basing a diatribe on a fallacy such as "Sports franchises and companies are two very different things" doesn't work well for logical discourse. You even conceded that franchises ARE companies thereby undermining the basis for your earlier rant. As a company, they are entitled to enter a political fray if they see fit. That decision may not sit well with all of the fanbase, but that is the decision for the front office to weigh.

Buffalo Preds

Jun 18, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I don’t get why anyone is sincerely upset by this. Just like Lee Beaman, they’re running a business. I don’t like his politics, and I think the corruption of politics by business money is very destructive to the public interest, but if you’re going to allow businesses to take an active role in political life, this is the result. Unless you’re condemning the likes of Lee Beaman and fighting to overturn Citizens United, if you don’t like what’s happening, it’s because your pre-existing politics make you dislike the candidate that Preds execs support.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
The Predators are a company with dependencies on local and state government decisions for their survival. The team's interest in local politics is based on their bottom line. The lease is based on local politics ... getting capital upgrades to the taxpayer-funded facility is based on local politics ... therefore having the mayor that the team sees as most friendly to their perspectives is beneficial to the organization.

Basing a diatribe on a fallacy such as "Sports franchises and companies are two very different things" doesn't work well for logical discourse. You even conceded that franchises ARE companies thereby undermining the basis for your earlier rant. As a company, they are entitled to enter a political fray if they see fit. That decision may not sit well with all of the fanbase, but that is the decision for the front office to weigh.

There was no rant by me- I simply said it was a bad look and a bad idea for a sports franchise, that's all. Me personally?- I couldn't care less.

And after the cavalcade of negative PR, I guarantee you the Preds won't ever do it again, at least not publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad