Preds...politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KurtAngle

Mar 31, 2016
This is not a conservative vs. liberal issue. But as some of you have seen, the Preds are now stepping their feet into the political arena and taking sides on the transit issue and now mayoral race.

I am disgusted by this. This is such a bad idea for many reasons.

Love or hate him, Clay Travis has jumped on this and it's getting picked up on other media sites as well.

For an organization that can do no wrong for a few years, this is such a boneheaded move.

Reactions: valeriammm

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm not disgusted by it, I just think it's pointless. I don't really understand the public benefit to doing something like this. But whatever, I'm still more worried about how we're gonna solidify our 3rd D pairing.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
I'm not disgusted by it, I just think it's pointless. I don't really understand the public benefit to doing something like this. But whatever, I'm still more worried about how we're gonna solidify our 3rd D pairing.

I could care less. If someone is disgusted that Gnash is endorsing so-and-so, I don't know what to tell you. This is just me, but I make informed decisions on who I vote for - not what the Preds or the Titans or the gas station down the street say.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I could care less. If someone is disgusted that Gnash is endorsing so-and-so, I don't know what to tell you. This is just me, but I make informed decisions on who I vote for - not what the Preds or the Titans or the gas station down the street say.
Exactly.

I have no problem with endorsements per se, but they're so unnecessary.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Probably Sean Henry's idea and since he's the boss they went with it. Doubt they'll do it again.
He was just on 104.5 and while he didn't 100 percent take a stand on the question, he was asked if he would do it again based on the reaction so far, and he (to paraphrase) said they take everything into account and they want fan concerns to solely be based on issues on the ice, not off it. If I were to guess, they probably feel kinda dumb right now. And maybe I should too because I didn't even know a mayoral election was coming up.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
He was just on 104.5 and while he didn't 100 percent take a stand on the question, he was asked if he would do it again based on the reaction so far, and he (to paraphrase) said they take everything into account and they want fan concerns to solely be based on issues on the ice, not off it. If I were to guess, they probably feel kinda dumb right now. And maybe I should too because I didn't even know a mayoral election was coming up.
It's a special election being held because Mayor Barry resigned. As Vice Mayor, David Briley became "Acting Mayor", but there is a time limit on how long one can be "acting" rather than an "elected" mayor.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Yep- I would be willing to bet a lot of money they are regretting the heck out of it. If they want fan concerns to be solely on the ice and not off it, there is no way they would do this again.

Like many of you, I personally don't really care- it certainly would never, ever influence me one way or the other.

But it is just a bad look- whether anyone thinks it is deserved or not, the Preds are getting killed for this- a ton of negative PR.

Why do it?? It is so unnecessary- bad PR, potential to alienate part of your fan base. It just makes no sense- I can't think of one good reason for a pro sports franchise to do this.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yep- I would be willing to bet a lot of money they are regretting the heck out of it. If they want fan concerns to be solely on the ice and not off it, there is no way they would do this again.

Like many of you, I personally don't really care- it certainly would never, ever influence me one way or the other.

But it is just a bad look- whether anyone thinks it is deserved or not, the Preds are getting killed for this- a ton of negative PR.

Why do it?? It is so unnecessary- bad PR, potential to alienate part of your fan base. It just makes no sense- I can't think of one good reason for a pro sports franchise to do this.
Exactly. From a Preds perspective there is very little to gain from the general public statement, meanwhile there are a ton of possible drawbacks.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
It just seems out of touch with reality. Even if you think a lot of people "don't care", come on. This is a society of getting pissed off at anything so you have to realize that's what's gonna happen this day and age. It's just better to not get involved

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
what drake just said. there is literally zero to gain from this unless you're aiming to piss people off. people are literally going ape shit over laurel or yanny on the internet right now.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
In general I'd rather sports teams stay out of politics, but it doesn't bother me that they are choosing to endorse a particular candidate.

I vote the way I vote based off my views so just because the Preds endorse someone won't confirm or sway my thoughts or views. If they were endorsing someone I find truly vile, I would be disappointed but I wouldn't be going on social media ranting like I've seen today, and it wouldn't change my feelings towards the Preds team.

My only concern is if they back a candidate, in this or any other election, and that person loses, how that person will react when the Preds need the mayor or someone else's support when it comes to future negotiations with the lease or anything else that may come up. I believe they would be professional and put any hard feelings aside, but I guess you never know.

Reactions: adsfan and Adz

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
My only concern is if they back a candidate, in this or any other election, and that person loses, how that person will react when the Preds need the mayor or someone else's support when it comes to future negotiations with the lease or anything else that may come up. I believe they would be professional and put any hard feelings aside, but I guess you never know.

And that is exactly one of the many reason why doing it make no sense whatsoever-

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Companies take stands with politicians that they think will best support their interests. Anybody outraged or offended by this doesn't take the time to research where the billions of PAC money comes from. Preds get transparent about it, out come the pitchforks and torches, and all the business owners take note and decide to keep on covertly funneling money into PACs. So congrats all you righteous screamers, you just signaled that you would just rather not know.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Sports teams depend on politics to survive. The days where a team lived on its own gate revenues and played in a building they paid for are long, long, long gone. The Predators exist because of a taxpayer-funded facility which they have a contract to operate (and gain the profits rather than Metro) ... Nashville gets a tax benefit for having the team and a sports council ... it is all political. With that in mind, the team advocating for a candidate which they believe will benefit the team is understandable.

How many of us know how then council-member Barry voted on the deal to keep the team in 2007?

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Companies take stands with politicians that they think will best support their interests. Anybody outraged or offended by this doesn't take the time to research where the billions of PAC money comes from. Preds get transparent about it, out come the pitchforks and torches, and all the business owners take note and decide to keep on covertly funneling money into PACs. So congrats all you righteous screamers, you just signaled that you would just rather not know.

Sports franchises and companies are two very different things-

And I think most on here agree that we don’t care about it personally, but that it doesn’t make any sense openly doing this. It’s almost all downside with no upside

Watch and see- Guarantee you the Preds will never do it again

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Precipitation of the cold variation.... but an interesting stance from the team given the states political leanings, supporting those that support them, publicly no less.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land

And I think most on here agree that we don’t care about it personally, but that it doesn’t make any sense openly doing this. It’s almost all downside with no upside

You bet your ass they won't! Not publicly.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

Sports franchises ARE companies.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I couldn’t care less.

Actually what bothers me more is that I just read the name ‘Clay Travis’ on this forum and that annoys me more than you can possibly know.

Reactions: hido
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->