GDT: Preds @ hawks 7:30 4/12/24 nbc sports Chicago

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Said it before and I’ll say it again

Soderblom has to go

Stauber and Commesso getting I done in Rockford, they need to bring Jaxson Stauber up next year, go with a Mrazek-Stauber combo
Commesso needs a 50 start season next year in AHL (a la Crawford) back him up with Weeks/Gray
Soderblom needs to go!

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Said it before and I’ll say it again

Soderblom has to go

Stauber and Commesso getting I done in Rockford, they need to bring Jaxson Stauber up next year, go with a Mrazek-Stauber combo
Commesso needs a 50 start season next year in AHL (a la Crawford) back him up with Weeks/Gray
Soderblom needs to go!

Soderblom had a .913 sv% in 72 GP in the AHL. Stauber has an .899 sv% in 46 GP. They're the same age. Soderblom, like a lot of young players this year, was thrown into a shit situation. I'm not saying he's the goalie of the future here but thinking Stauber would have done any better or would do any better isn't based in reality.

Reactions: Giovi and Pez68

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Soderblom had a .913 sv% in 72 GP in the AHL. Stauber has an .899 sv% in 46 GP. They're the same age. Soderblom, like a lot of young players this year, was thrown into a shit situation. I'm not saying he's the goalie of the future here but thinking Stauber would have done any better or would do any better isn't based in reality.
You spoiled Jaxon's mom's night.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
To be honest I'm surprised more people aren't concerned about the year Korchinski had.
On one hand he's a 19 year old defenseman playing with a bad partner on an awful team. On the other hand, in my opinion, he didn't really show what I expected.

I was hoping for those good offensive instincts and bad defense that got better. I don't really think his defense has improved that much and the in zone offense in non-existent. Often just glued to his spot at the point or throwing grenade passes into no mans land in the zone. Breakout pass is really good though. Best on the team.

Reactions: BLKHKhockey

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
To be honest I'm surprised more people aren't concerned about the year Korchinski had.
On one hand he's a 19 year old defenseman playing with a bad partner on an awful team. On the other hand, in my opinion, he didn't really show what I expected.

I was hoping for those good offensive instincts and bad defense that got better. I don't really think his defense has improved that much and the in zone offense in non-existent. Often just glued to his spot at the point or throwing grenade passes into no mans land in the zone. Breakout pass is really good though. Best on the team.

I'm quite concerned and I've been saying it all year. It makes no sense why he's in the league this year. Like he was really good in the WHL last year but he wasn't dominant. He wasn't a go-to guy in the WJC. Then all of a sudden he's in the NHL? Why? "Because he's too good for Junior"? Based on what?

Philosophically it doesn't even make sense from KD and the management group. You keep Vlasic and Reichel in the AHL all of last year pretty much, Kaiser spends spends half the year in the AHL this year, to make sure they're more than ready but then you throw a 19-year-old into the fire and watch him mostly sink throughout the year. Korchinski has definitely had some good moments but I don't see how this year getting consistently dusted in the NHL has been more beneficially than had he gone back to the WHL, won a D of the year award, been the No 1 guy for Canada at the WJC and currently be playing meaningful hockey in the WHL going for a Memorial Cup. This year was a Davidson developmental blunder. Hope he doesn't repeat it with anyone else in the future.

There is not a single player in the history of the game that has had their development negatively impacted by finishing their junior career. It's never happened. There's no shortage of guys that have lost their confidence bc they were rushed into the NHL and never got it back.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018

KK lost his dad during the season. Playing on a sucky team was just one of his worries.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois

Its because the bolded is a huge factor that limits his ability to get any offense going. This team has 2 top 6 forwards on a good day.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Aware. Thats tough no dobut. Was just talking about his on ice play and the lack of talk about his struggles. That could have played a factor in it.
KK has been jerked around a lot this year. He obviously needed someone like Murphy to help cover for him this year, which was at the start. But then the pairing started getting scrambled.

He got time with Jones, who likes to run around like an idiot. He’s been playing a lot with Megna who belongs in the ECHL, and if not him, it’s Zaitsev or Tinordi. And he gets no PP1 time which affects his points totals.

And to top it all off, he’s 19. Most people see these reasons and understand it’s just not an issue right now.

Reactions: vandymeer13

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
He's been on PP1 for a stretch or two this year. He's never been able to deal with the entries so it got taken away twice. He will barely pinch if the puck is on his side. Not sure if thats coaching or confidence. I think its a possible problem. Guess we'll see going forward.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I remember feeling similarly towards Boqvist at the same stage of his career and having virtually the exact same arguments (he's 19, poor utilization/teammates, defense comes with age and can be taught, etc.). Both lean away from contact when challenged, launch grenades along the boards when pressured, neither are particularly notable at carrying/rushing the puck/gaining the blue line.

Obviously different players but it IS frustrating that the highest dman we've drafted in like 2 decades and gave up our number 1 rebuilding piece for is not instinctively good at defense aand personally frustrating when Mintyukov was on the board who I felt like had game breaking skill and two way, heavy, competitive game that was clear as day.

On top of all this his clearly immature game was thrust into the NHL frying pan for the ENTIRE season this year for probably no reason than for KD to feel good about his selection making "progress"

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Draft capital invested usually directly correlates to leash given. I thought he should have gone back to the WHL eventually, maybe after we had all those injuries and it TRULY got dumpster fire level, and played WJC this year. Just my opinion.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
I think he did get better defensively this year but still has a long way to go.

Boqvist was never remotely in the position KK is except for being rushed to the league.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

The bolded part. not a good year, never a real good stretch and I think he has a terrible coach for his game.

No idea why KD didn't intervene (actually I do, because I think he kind of sucks). They were playing him to his weaknesses all year as soon as his 2nd weak drop pass or bad entry pissed off LR. He was great as long as he had 25' of space. LR's defensive nonsense wasted much of the year for the kid imo. He was always a half decade project on defense. Mrazek was happy getting a new lease in net, could have let him give up 200 goals himself.

Draft capital invested usually directly correlates to leash given. I thought he should have gone back to the WHL eventually, maybe after we had all those injuries and it TRULY got dumpster fire level, and played WJC this year. Just my opinion.
Usually.

I think the plugliness of the player directly correlated to leash length this year.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
It's literally impossible to judge a rookie defenseman who played with an ECHL caliber asshole the entire season... What the f*** did anyone here expect from Korchinski playing with Megna/Tinordi/Zaitsev 99% of his shifts? Christ people. Korchinski was fine.

Reactions: BHawks77 and Giovi

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The point visible,KK at 19 was not NHL ready...

In comparison,Evan Bouchard took till he was 21 before Edmonton let him play a full NHL season..He had 3 seasons after his draft to develop ..1 back in juniors(as did KK) . Then AHL and some games in the SHL in Sweden with some small looks in Edmonton ...look at Bouchard today now ...clearly if at age 21 KK still is where his level is today,we have a problem.

If he is learning on the job in the NHL ,we need to see improvement over the next 2 seasons ...that -39 where hevid now and lack of mitigating offense must start showing.

This rough learning experience this eason is hard to watch ...but not unexpected....He should have been in the AHL learning but the rules forbade it..Hawks felt he was not going to benefit goibg back to juniors.. Whether that decision was a mistake ,we mist stay tuned and find out over the next 2 seasons.

The COULD send him to Rockford to develop nextcsesson or decide to continue the NHL learning experience..

But here is the delicate problem...eventually watching that many pucks go in our net on hisxsgifts and not see any mitigating offensive production coukd lead thevkid to lose confidence and belief he can succeed in the NHL ..

I do not believe in rushing a kid to the NHL if not ready.

Hawks must decide if it is better for hom to goto Rockford to improve his gane or to experience more of the likely same problems next season with the Hawks who may be only slightly better next season.

KK +Barfy=not gonna succeed
They already have Vlasic with $9.5 as 1st pairing.
And if they drop Kk to 3rd pairing that I do not think is what he was drafted for.

So unless they find a ufa NHL- proven dman far far better than Barfy (Murphy) to pair with and bail-out KkK and mentor him ,he IS better off going down to Rockford to figure out his pro game and the improvements required.

He was not ready at 19 ..andto expect miraculous improvent nrlextseadon...especially if they will pair him with Murphy seems far-fetched and doomed for failure.

I would send him to Rockforxtill he shows hebis ready for the Show.

If however they manage to trade Barfy and being i an actualky NHL comptent RD via ufa signing or trade,then maybe that changes the plan for Kk 's development so that he might stay in the Show next sesson.

Improvements we need to see:

1. Awareness..better defensive processing the play in the d-zone

2.Better puck handling

3.More assertiveness on attack ...leadership with the puck.

4.Staying on checks better and finishing checks...and winning more puck battles on the boards and at the crease.

5.Playing less soft...must get stronger..More body checking.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The best news from this game is that ONLY 3 Games (of sheer incompetence) remain forvthecHawks this season...

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
It's literally impossible to judge a rookie defenseman who played with an ECHL caliber asshole the entire season... What the f*** did anyone here expect from Korchinski playing with Megna/Tinordi/Zaitsev 99% of his shifts? Christ people. Korchinski was fine.

Korchinski has a lower 5v5 xGF% than Megna or Zaitsev. Not that they're notably better, but you can't pin it all on his partners and even if you could, doesn't that just strengthen the argument that he shouldn't have been here?

You have a 19-year-old that could have been sent back to Junior, but we'll keep him up to play with shit partners on the third pair, never give him an extended look on the top PP unit and get caved in most nights defensively? Literally the only benefit to him having spent the year in the NHL is to say he spent the year in the NHL. He wasn't up here on merit and that's the worst part honestly.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Korchinski has a lower 5v5 xGF% than Megna or Zaitsev. Not that they're notably better, but you can't pin it all on his partners and even if you could, doesn't that just strengthen the argument that he shouldn't have been here?

You have a 19-year-old that could have been sent back to Junior, but we'll keep him up to play with shit partners on the third pair, never give him an extended look on the top PP unit and get caved in most nights defensively? Literally the only benefit to him having spent the year in the NHL is to say he spent the year in the NHL. He wasn't up here on merit and that's the worst part honestly.

Murphy got hurt. That was probably their plan for Korchinski's partner, but who knows with Richardson. I still think there was nothing to gain by him playing juniors again. Also, he wasn't up based on merit? There were only two better defensemen on this roster at any point in the season. That's because their D was absolute dogshit, but still. There were 3-4 worse defensemen who made this team.

It's a stupid rule that had him in the NHL this season instead of the AHL, but what's done is done. If he doesn't progress next season, we can have another conversation.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Murphy got hurt. That was probably their plan for Korchinski's partner, but who knows with Richardson. I still think there was nothing to gain by him playing juniors again. Also, he wasn't up based on merit? There were only two better defensemen on this roster at any point in the season. That's because their D was absolute dogshit, but still. There were 3-4 worse defensemen who made this team.

It's a stupid rule that had him in the NHL this season instead of the AHL, but what's done is done. If he doesn't progress next season, we can have another conversation.

We're telling Kasier, Phillips and Del Mastro to be patient; work on their craft in the AHL, while Korchinski spends the entire year in the NHL getting caved in. That's what I mean by merit. Obviously Tinoridi, Zaitsev and Megna are bad but they're simply bodies keeping seats warm in the NHL until younger guys are ready. None of the young players really forced their way into the NHL this year, outside of Kaiser initially in camp.

The CHL/NHL transfer agreement isn't new. Korchinski never looked ready and having results that are worse than or on par with guys like Zaitsev and Tinoridi demonstrate that. Time will tell if keeping Korchinski up all year or not was detrimental but there would have been nothing wrong with sending him back to Junior. Nothing at all.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
We're telling Kasier, Phillips and Del Mastro to be patient; work on their craft in the AHL, while Korchinski spends the entire year in the NHL getting caved in. That's what I mean by merit. Obviously Tinoridi, Zaitsev and Megna are bad but they're simply bodies keeping seats warm in the NHL until younger guys are ready. None of the young players really forced their way into the NHL this year, outside of Kaiser initially in camp.

The CHL/NHL transfer agreement isn't new. Korchinski never looked ready and having results that are worse than or on par with guys like Zaitsev and Tinoridi demonstrate that. Time will tell if keeping Korchinski up all year or not was detrimental but there would have been nothing wrong with sending him back to Junior. Nothing at all.
We've discussed this ad nauseum already, so just leaving it at this. Agree to disagree. Also, Richardson is a shit coach who didn't do any of the young players any favors this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad