GDT: Preds at Sens 2/8/2018 Burrowless edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Actually, I think it is more the right type of plugs. McCormick set the tone with a big hit on Josi, and Nash was after him all game. Blunden checked hard as well. And I think it inspired the team to play tougher as Smith looked and played like Smith. Pageau played with an edge. Dido was checking...everyone was engaged.

I know many lament the loss of MacArthur and Methot, but in many ways the team lacks someone with an edge. Chris Neil had his time, but there was no one to spark the troops to play hockey. What I have been watching was not hockey. More like "Ice skating with a puck". Last night was a hockey game. I can't remember the last hockey game I watched this year.

That is why we need a player like Brady Tkachuk. This team needs jam and maybe the easiest solution is leave McCormick up here and let him run with it. Either way this team needs to play with an edge because it makes them play more focussed, aware and engaged. Nashville finishes their check, from line 1 to line 4 (except Turris). That is a fast , tough team they have assembled.

You forgot about Boro, he was out there causing havoc too, and he was missing when the team went on it's downward spiral.

I'm not sure Neil was a big loss, at least on the ice, as last year he had trouble getting into position to make those big hits last year, but a player like him (back when he was a little younger) certainly would be nice. Burrows certainly is not doing what Neil did (or what MacArthur did), unfortunately that roster move has not panned out. If we play our way out of the top 3 or 5, I really hope Tkachuk is still around. He's not my target in the first five, but at the same time, he's almost exactly the type of player this team needs. Skilled guy with a ton of sandpaper. Having him in the top 6 would be nice if Svechnikov, Dahlin, and Zadina are off the board, though I'd be tempted to go for Boqvist or Dobson ahead of him.

Reactions: coladin

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
You forgot about Boro, he was out there causing havoc too, and he was missing when the team went on it's downward spiral.

I'm not sure Neil was a big loss, at least on the ice, as last year he had trouble getting into position to make those big hits last year, but a player like him (back when he was a little younger) certainly would be nice. Burrows certainly is not doing what Neil did (or what MacArthur did), unfortunately that roster move has not panned out. If we play our way out of the top 3 or 5, I really hope Tkachuk is still around. He's not my target in the first five, but at the same time, he's almost exactly the type of player this team needs. Skilled guy with a ton of sandpaper. Having him in the top 6 would be nice if Svechnikov, Dahlin, and Zadina are off the board, though I'd be tempted to go for Boqvist or Dobson ahead of him.
Agreed

We need D help first

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Same argument, different day, but he did play with other partners prior to Dion being here and was equally terrible.

To be fair, Cowen and Wiercioch (and old man Phillips, who is the one he played best with) were worse than Phaneuf. He looked his best with Phaneuf under Cameron before they were being deployed not as a shutdown tandem.

Honestly, Ceci should be a 20-21 min guy, not a 23 min guy. It seems like a small difference, but I think that reduction in his workload could pay dividends.

Just for reference, Ceci currently averages just shy of 21 mins of PK/ES time on ice combined, which ranks in and around the top 10 for Dmen. That's a lot of tough mins.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
As someone who doesn't think today Boro has been an NHL caliber player for the last 3 seasons. He's doing well this season, part of that may be because he actually hasn't played most of it.

I hope he keeps it up.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Boro has been just fine this season. Before his injury I though he was a lot more effective getting the puck out of the zone and his skating improved and he has kept playing that way coming back. He brings a bit of life on the ice and considering he's not a detriment to the team anymore that's a great thing.

I don't mind having him here as a 3rd pairing guy.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'm heartened by Duchene's performance lately. But I hate what this team is doing to me. I enjoy watching them win but I'd obviously prefer them losing in the short term to get a really good player out of the draft. I still don't think the team is that far off from having a super competitive roster. A few tweaks here and there for key support players and we can be back in it, assuming Karlsson continues his upward trajectory of healing and improved play.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It really is remarkable how much he's improved. Apparently they really challanged him to be a bigger factor with the puck, and he doing all the right things. He still has a limited skill set, but his decision making with his limitations in mind has been very good. He's a physical force, and now smartly joins the rush to create offensive pressure too.
Boro's play has improved and he is still our most physical player.. We missed him when he was out of the lineup

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
It really is remarkable how much he's improved. Apparently they really challanged him to be a bigger factor with the puck, and he doing all the right things. He still has a limited skill set, but his decision making with his limitations in mind has been very good. He's a physical force, and now smartly joins the rush to create offensive pressure too.

The guy is so highly coachable and he cares so much, it shouldn't be too surprising that he improved so greatly over the course of 1 offseason. Equally impressive considering it was a shortened summer due to the team's success in the playoffs. His heart is his biggest asset. So happy for the guy...

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I'm heartened by Duchene's performance lately. But I hate what this team is doing to me. I enjoy watching them win but I'd obviously prefer them losing in the short term to get a really good player out of the draft. I still don't think the team is that far off from having a super competitive roster. A few tweaks here and there for key support players and we can be back in it, assuming Karlsson continues his upward trajectory of healing and improved play.

If you prefer losing, then you aren't a real fan IMO.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Yes, for sure Boro. And he needs company. Burrows has been a disaster this year and was supposed to provide some edge but he plays as if he is counting his money between shifts, thinking of retirement too much.

It seemed like everyone played an inch taller last night, Boro needs help out there and hopefully they address that .

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Bases are covered. Good chance all those names are in the top 6. Dobson will fight it out with Hughes, Bouchard and Wahlstrom... All good names as well... Also Veleno is rising again with his results in Drummondville

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If you prefer losing, then you aren't a real fan IMO.

Is it fair for me to say "if you prefer mediocrity, then you aren't a real fan"? Because that's what missing out on a top pick in an exciting draft means.

It's very possible the Sens aren't as bad as they've performed this year. But if we are where we are then why isn't it ok to hope to finish near the bottom to get some kind of consolation out of this season? Toronto fans sure don't mind now that they have Matthews in their lineup every night.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Is it fair for me to say "if you prefer mediocrity, then you aren't a real fan"? Because that's what missing out on a top pick in an exciting draft means.

It's very possible the Sens aren't as bad as they've performed this year. But if we are where we are then why isn't it ok to hope to finish near the bottom to get some kind of consolation out of this season? Toronto fans sure don't mind now that they have Matthews in their lineup every night.

I think that market can tolerate the losing better than this market, and I am NOT going to get into it more than that. I am not going to make this an attendance thing. Just simply stating that the Toronto market is the easiest ticket to sell in the whole NHL. Last time we were really bad they couldn't even sell out the Civic Centre.

I can't handle losing, it just doesn't work at all, even though deep down I want a high pick. But I just love winning too much. Last night, I really enjoyed that and the fans were into it and it was great to cheer a team trying to win. Tanking is hard on the soul...

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yeah, I defended waiving him because I thought he was too small and slow, but he seems to have pretty good offensive IQ, often finds himself in good spots in the offensive zone. He's been proving me wrong lately.

Good Waiver pick up by Dorion!

As was Dumont and Paajarvi.

One, or maybe two could be keepers, to have some NHL experience down in Belleville next year.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Duchene is quickly becoming my favourite player. I routinely blurt out "Oh, Duchene's back out!" when his line is on. lol
I really enjoy watching him play. Great addition.

Maybe Dorion knew something that some "fans", who post here did not, when the trade was made, and was racked over the coals for at least two months, in various threads.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Man can he turn on a dime. I can't recall another player who can spin off checks down low like Duchene. He is an exciting player to watch for sure!
He's in the same mould of Forsberg when it comes his size and skill-set, he just doesn't have anywhere near the vision or hockey sense Forsberg did.

Reactions: DrEasy

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
We all want to see our team win

But what we want most is the grand prize
The one that slipped off of our hands 2 times in the last 10 years or so

Most of us realize a really high pick is going to put us nearer that prize then a late run

Winning a cup is tough
Every team has a small window

Lets say we climb up the standings a bit and finish 11 and the pick goes to Sakic

Are we winning the cup next year?

Then EK decides to sign elsewhere

Do we win the cup in 2-3-4 years?

Or Do we bit our nails watching Dahlin Dobson Boqvist Walhstrom
Bouchard or Hughes

Tanking is tough on the soul yeah but as CHI and PIT and soon TO showed us theres not many ways to win it all
Has to go through high pick draft

Only my opinion of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->