News Article: Predictions of What Bergevin will say at his press conference today

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
When it's gotten to the point that the press and the fans know ahead of time what the brass will say to a high degree of accuracy, I think they need better writers or make up more credible lies. It's absurd.
Let's be honest, though. This is pro-sports. Any interview with any person in any organization is incredibly telegraphed and predictable. Think of all the players --

"We have to work harder."

"We have to get pucks to the net."

"We have to be more physical."

"We're not giving 100%."

There's not much variance in their media relations, regardless of their position in the organization.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Let's be honest, though. This is pro-sports. Any interview with any person in any organization is incredibly telegraphed and predictable. Think of all the players --

"We're not giving 100%."

There's not much variance in their media relations, regardless of their position in the organization.
That's true to a point especially after game comments, but when we're talking about an end of the season press conference, you'd think they'd trot out something else than tired old clichés and regurgitated excuses. I want some accountability from these fools.

Electricity

Aug 22, 2016
Louisville via St. P
That's true to a point especially after game comments, but when we're talking about an end of the season press conference, you'd think they'd trot out something else than tired old clichés and regurgitated excuses. I want some accountability from these fools.

After doing a bad job, they'll say as little as they can possibly get away with, as expected.
It's the media's job to make them answer for themselves. The media are supposed to get at the truth, and not buy what they're sold by the powerful.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
"We have a plan, we will build through the draft and we have a top pick coming. Drouin made some great strides at C. We dealt with lots of injuries and sometimes things don't go as planned. If you look at Colorado they were at the bottom and now they made the playoffs. That could be us next year. I will always work to make our team better and I believe we are still going in the right direction,despite our record. "

:help::help:

Reactions: justafan22

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Well if he can't ice a team that can entertain, he becomes the target of entertainment.

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
"I'm an idiot. My rich family doesn't make me nor any other rich person de facto a competent administrator. Therefor, I fire myself, but let me please set fire, litteraly, to Marc Bergevin first. Patrick Roy, please step down and dynamite this club."

Then I wake up.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Any player, coach or GM who gives an interview to the media in which they divulge actual, useful and heretofore unknown information is a player, coach or GM who doesn't know how to do his job when it comes to dealing with reporters. The reason why teams employ media relations staff to act as buffers between the team and the reporters, and why players, coaches and GM's undergo media training in the first place, is to teach them how to say absolutely nothing while moving their lips and emitting sound.

Today's press conference is happening for only one reason: contractual obligations. The NHL mandates that all member clubs go through the motions of being accessible to the media and, by extension, the paying customers. If not for this mandate, the Habs wouldn't talk to us at all, ever. The only announcement they want to make is to let us know when tickets for next season go on sale (and maybe about how much more we'll be expected to pay for them) Other than that they'd be quite happy never to hold a press conference for any reason at any time. The Habs do not embrace opportunities to connect with their fans via the media; they merely put up with the bare minimum of contact that the league makes them put up with. Bergevin's mission today is to get through the presser as quickly as possible while saying as little as possible. If he leaves everyone with more questions than answers he'll be happy.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
"I'm an idiot. My rich family doesn't make me nor any other rich person de facto a competent administrator. Therefor, I fire myself, but let me please set fire, litteraly, to Marc Bergevin first. Patrick Roy, please step down and dynamite this club."

Then I wake up.

Your avatar is hilarious

Reactions: GHJimmy

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Because it's always funny to watch Dumb and Dumber.

I check back in on the first Dumb and Dumber movie when I get a chance. That movie still makes me laugh and come a way in a good mood.

Somehow though, after watching Bergevin and Geoff speak I feel a combination of sick to my stomach, angry, frustrated, and the need to bash my head against the wall. I simply can't take another year of this.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

"We're not giving 100%."

Today is pointless I agree. What I want to see is the end to the nepotism and real accountability to occur. If you are not getting it done...you are replaced. No more pals and family members being given jobs without merit and accountability. This shit has to end.

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
I just don't want any jokes or smug remarks. Two years ago when we missed the playoffs Tony Mariano said "I have a question" and Bergevin joked "I bet you do". I hated that moment! I want this management to be pissed off and frustrated, not cracking jokes.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West
Somebody,could of been Runner77 had a good idea.Instead of the cowardly sports media asking questions,let in 50 Hab fans who will ask real questions.Not the people vying for a free lunch and a locker room pass lobbing their easy questions.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
In all seriousness.....what the heck do you guys expect him to say? He's definately not going to say " I resign".

WG

Sep 9, 2008
In all seriousness.....what the heck do you guys expect him to say? He's definately not going to say " I resign".
I understand the point others have made, that Bergy and Molson are not going to outright admit failure, and that both of them are angling to get out of there without having to truly face the music for the shambolic season that we just witnessed.

What I'd like to hear from either of these two, especially Bergevin, is some measure of contrition or introspection that might indicate that either of them might have learned something over the past three years. I'd like to hear Bergevin admitting that his vision failed, that he understands now that his 2017 plan was doomed to fail from the start and he has a better idea of what to do going forward. Fat chance of this happening.

I want this guy fired ASAP, primarily because he's done such a piss poor job over six years but also because I see zero hope of him admitting his failures and devising a better approach to his organization. I fully expect most or all of the foxhole buddies to return despite their complete and utter failure at all levels in the organization. I expect a continuing fetish for the Shawzies of the NHL, where character is king and skill is something that's more nice-to-have than must-have. I expect that Galchenyuk will continue to never get another chance to even try to play centre because supreme talent evaluator Bergevin has so decreed. And I expect a few uninspiring moves geared to push the team into playoff bubble mode instead of a true plan to push the team to true elite contender status.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL

They could atleast answer for the cheap BBQ sauce instead of real gravy on their poutines. Or explain why trio #3 doesn't come with medium fries?
The type of answers any reasonable fan would expect out of an end-of-season presser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->