Predictions for Iginla In This Shortened Season

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Very true but I can dream. If Cammy somehow gets put on his opposite wing I could see it happening as that will create space for both.

This might be happening. Tanguay was on the FAN960 this morning and he was talking about them putting him at center. So we might be seeing a line of:

Cammalleri - Tanguay - Iginla

Interesting to say the least.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
This might be happening. Tanguay was on the FAN960 this morning and he was talking about them putting him at center. So we might be seeing a line of:

Cammalleri - Tanguay - Iginla

Interesting to say the least.

Would make sense to put the play maker between the two shooters.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
It definitely does. Plus he is defensively responsible. Anyone know what his career FO% is?

Only went back until the last lockout, he was never over 40% but only ever took a maximum of 107 draws. Basically he sucks at faceoffs but did play center in junior.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
16g-18a-34P. That's a goal every .33 games, which is just slightly down from what he scored last season (a goal every .39 games). I think this might be generous considering Iginla hasn't been skating or playing at a high tempo while other players have been. There are those who suggest the Flames might play some more wide open hockey this year, but I'm not so certain. Depending on style of play and the responsibilities heaped on Iginla his numbers could possibly trend lower. Fire wagon hockey is likely the best hope to hit a target above 16 goals.

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
considering how he usually starts slowly and is now 36 after an extended lay-off, I'm not touching him in my pools but hoping for the best.

This has become so over blown its crazy,
11-12 he had 4 points in 10 games. (missed all of camp it is understandable)
10-11 he had 7 points in 10 games solid start.
09-10 he had 8 points in 10 games thats a good start.
08-09 he had 12 points in 10 games thats a great start.

He is slowing down but outside of last year he has had no problem with early in the season. I don't know how this myth came to be but it is so false its not funny.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
Iginla is a goal scorer. Look at his goal scoring numbers over the first three months of the season of see the trends that people refer to. Iginla is a slow starter. His game doesn't normally kick into gear until mid November, almost six weeks into the season. The Flames can't afford that start this season.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site

He is slowing down but outside of last year he has had no problem with early in the season. I don't know how this myth came to be but it is so false its not funny.

CPS beat me to it. But uhm, goals?

Points are nice and all, but with secondary assists, they're not always an accurate showing of generating production.

The Flames usually are at their best when Iggy is scoring (goals) consistently. Pretty much all our hot streaks of the last 10 years were also periods when Iginla was lighting the lamp (outside of some of the streaks Huselius put together).

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
CPS beat me to it. But uhm, goals?

Points are nice and all, but with secondary assists, they're not always an accurate showing of generating production.

The Flames usually are at their best when Iggy is scoring (goals) consistently. Pretty much all our hot streaks of the last 10 years were also periods when Iginla was lighting the lamp (outside of some of the streaks Huselius put together).

Disagree he is an underrated play maker there is no difference if he is scoring or setting up goals on the scoreboard.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Disagree he is an underrated play maker there is no difference if he is scoring or setting up goals on the scoreboard.

The point he is making is those famous streaks that Iggy has are much more around goals than assists. When he goes into goal scoring mode, we win.
He can put up a nice little point streak like 7/8 points in ten games, and we could still suck.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The win column seems to disagree with your theory.

My point is if he gets an assist or a goal either way we get a goal there is no reason he has to score to be considered doing well. I would take a 0G 82A season over a 30 G 0 A season. The only thing that matters is we are scoring and at the start of the year he does just fine helping the team score.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
The point he is making is those famous streaks that Iggy has are much more around goals than assists. When he goes into goal scoring mode, we win.
He can put up a nice little point streak like 7/8 points in ten games, and we could still suck.

Yes but that doesn't mean that 7 points in 10 games is a slow start. He is expected to help the team score and he does that every year since game 1.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Yes but that doesn't mean that 7 points in 10 games is a slow start. He is expected to help the team score and he does that every year since game 1.

Well, one could argue that 7 points in 10 games is slow start given Iginla's offensive capabilities and star status.

Granted, as the lone superstar on the Flames, there's an unfair amount of pressure on Iginla to be the difference maker game in, game out. Good teams don't have to rely on one player to save them.

But I do agree that the whole Iginla's slow starts cost the team wins is unwarranted nonsense. ALL offensive players go through slumps and hot streaks over the course of an 82 game season. Iginla just happens to have his at the beginning. Good teams can absorb one players struggles with others picking up the slack.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net

As said too many times in all of sports, stats don't tell the whole story. I'm not doubting if you watch every game (I do) but he struggles early in the year, it is very apparent. He would even agree with you there. The points will come he gets top line minutes playing with our best players and PP time is a constant. He may get some points, but if you think Iggy in OCT-NOV is the same Iggy that he is late when the games REALLY matter, I don't know what to tell you.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Well, one could argue that 7 points in 10 games is slow start given Iginla's offensive capabilities and star status.

Granted, as the lone superstar on the Flames, there's an unfair amount of pressure on Iginla to be the difference maker game in, game out. Good teams don't have to rely on one player to save them.

But I do agree that the whole Iginla's slow starts cost the team wins is unwarranted nonsense. ALL offensive players go through slumps and hot streaks over the course of an 82 game season. Iginla just happens to have his at the beginning. Good teams can absorb one players struggles with others picking up the slack.

All very true. Using blind optimism maybe Cammy can return to superhero form and score 70~ this year.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
As said too many times in all of sports, stats don't tell the whole story. I'm not doubting if you watch every game (I do) but he struggles early in the year, it is very apparent. He would even agree with you there. The points will come he gets top line minutes playing with our best players and PP time is a constant. He may get some points, but if you think Iggy in OCT-NOV is the same Iggy that he is late when the games REALLY matter, I don't know what to tell you.

I agree he starts slow but people treat it like he does nothing for the first 10 - 15 games of the year he is still the best player or second best player on the team in his struggles. He starts slower than the rest of the year but he is still leading the team there is no way he should have to score every game for us to win.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
I agree he starts slow but people treat it like he does nothing for the first 10 - 15 games of the year he is still the best player or second best player on the team in his struggles. He starts slower than the rest of the year but he is still leading the team there is no way he should have to score every game for us to win.

You're 100% right. Kipper also shouldn't have to play lights out for 70+ games a year for us to win, but unfortunately thats been our team basically since the last lockout. Let's hope this isn't the case this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad