Speculation: Prediction thread

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Coming here in peace, but do you guys not think that Foo will be in the starting lineup? Isn't that why he chose to sign with you guys anyways?

Anyways, just lurking. Don't mind me. :popcorn:

I expect him to be in the AHL with top RW minutes... He really has to surprise GG for him to earn a spot imo.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

The Flames were weirdly durable all of last season. I don't think that continues. We probably will be playing more kids than expected this coming season.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
At least a third of those lost games from the Oilers were from Andrew Ference and Tyler Pitlick.

As for us, we were uncharacteristically healthy last season. I doubt it happens again this upcoming season

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
In the final months of the season, Gulutzan won me over. However, if we're to take the next step this season with the group of players that we have, GG needs to show a certain level of adaptability on a game-by-game and even period-by-period basis.

There were too many times, either when we let in the first goal or the other team gained momentum, where we looked static and dead in the water (see: Nashville 6-5 thriller, Anaheim series). I know he's a wait-and-see coach and his patience has paid dividends for us in a lot of ways, but sometimes he just has to bite the bullet and call a timeout or make changes to the lines just to get some of the momenum back on our side.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015

The Flames were weirdly durable all of last season. I don't think that continues. We probably will be playing more kids than expected this coming season.

Teams who block more shots tend to have higher MGL. As one should expect. I'd like to show that old relationship graph I made a while ago again but I can't find it.

Last year, PIT and EDM were 3rd and 4th in 5v5 blocked shot amongst playoff teams. There's other factors ofc; SJ blocked the most shots but one of the least injured playoff teams and ANA didn't block that many shots.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
I expect him to be in the AHL with top RW minutes... He really has to surprise GG for him to earn a spot imo.

I don't see how he beats the others for a RW spot, either due to skill or contract.

I'd imagine he's #1 or #2 RW injury call up. IMO, he competes with Hathaway for that first RW call up.

In a season, Versteeg probably doesn't return, so I think there's an slot wide open for him to take. This allows a comfortable transition and development in the AHL while being first call up, and in a season, possibly a full time job. I imagine they explained Jankowski's NHL path and said they'd do the same for Foo.

We're far further along on RW than when Jooris came and stole a spot. But an opportunity will come for Foo sooner than later.

It's rare for a player out of college or Junior to make our team out of camp...

Well, the Rangers and Oilers do that (Hayes, Vesey, Schultz, Caggiula). But it's not Calgary's MO since Feaster left.

Cool, thanks for the info guys. Me and my buddies were curious, as we went to school with him and hadn't kept contact with him or his brother really.

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
In the final months of the season, Gulutzan won me over. However, if we're to take the next step this season with the group of players that we have, GG needs to show a certain level of adaptability on a game-by-game and even period-by-period basis.

There were too many times, either when we let in the first goal or the other team gained momentum, where we looked static and dead in the water (see: Nashville 6-5 thriller, Anaheim series). I know he's a wait-and-see coach and his patience has paid dividends for us in a lot of ways, but sometimes he just has to bite the bullet and call a timeout or make changes to the lines just to get some of the momenum back on our side.

Gulutzan's system is clearly working, but forcing johnny to sit at the blue line and wait for a pass instead of skating in with speed is unbearable to watch. I have no clue why he keeps going back to that when it's obviously not working, and Gaudreau is potentially the best player in the world at breaking into the o-zone

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Bump! How did you guys do?

- The Flames will be in a comfortable playoff position for at least a 3/4 of the season. Reason being most of our roster already knows Gully's system and have seen success with it and we won't have the suffer through the growing pains we had at the start of the last season (as well as back injuries and contract negotiations).

I haven't looked back at our track record, but it felt like we were in a playoff position for about half the season and then straddled in and out of one for 1/4 of it? But man when we fell, we fell hard.

- There will be a lot of members posting in the crow eating thread about Brouwer (or at least there should be).

I guess I was wrong here. Not because didn't Brouwer get better (which he did), but because people won't stop blaming him for things he shouldn't be blamed for.

- Matt Stajan will receive the silver stick while donning the flaming C.

Got this one.

- We will win the season series against the Oil.

Almost. We tied it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
BT made an all in career ending type of move in the summer.

The Flames need to be in sync from the start.

Gio, Brodie, Gaudreau, Monahan all need to be better than they were at the start of last year.
Bennett needs to take a step up.
Backlund needs to maintain his pace.
Hamilton needs to continue to improve
Smith needs to prove he is a solid #1

If most of these dont happen, expect BT to file for unemployment benefit down at the manpower office.

hmmm

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Doing one for most of our players.

Gaudreau hits 80 points.
Monahan still isn't good enough defensively but hits 65 points.
Ferland gets 35+ points with around 20 goals.
Bennett hits 45 points this season and is our 3rd best PKer.
Versteeg scores at a 40 point pace.
Brouwer doesn't rebound all that much and spends most of the season on the 4th line.
Hamonic bounces back and has a good season.
By the end of the year Kulak is considered a better player than Stone.
One of Poirier, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk, Mangiapane or Foo makes the team and puts up 30-40 points on the third line.
Tkachuk produces better and begins to see more ice time and gets some shots with Monahan and Gaudreau.
Backlund & Frolik are Backlund & Frolik (consistently good).
Lazar is just alright.

1. Gaudreau hits 80 points
Yup

2. Monahan isn't good enough defensively but hits 65
yup

3. Ferland gets 35+ points with 20+ goals
yup

4. Bennett hits 45 points
Lmao

5. Versteeg scores at a 40 point pace didn't get this one but he was injured most of the year

6. Brouwer doesn't rebound
Yep

7. Hamonic bounces back and has a good season.
Not as good as I thought he would be but far better than last season so half points.

8. Kulak>Stone
I prefer him but I really dislike Stone.

9. Rookie making the team
Nope

10. Tkachuk gets better and plays top line a little.
Yeah easy one

11. Backlund and Frolik having good seasons.

No but they both shot sub 7% that's a really low and I expect them to both bounce back to 2016-2017 form next year.

12. Lazar is just alright
Showed some flashes but wasn't overly good or bad

I did pretty well I think.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My first predictions are:

Flames make the playoffs in a non-wildcard capacity
Monahan scores 30 goals again
Brouwer has 15+ goals and 30+ points
1/3, but Brouwer did manage 15+ assists, while I didn't state that it was clearly implied.

Mike Smith scores a goal
boo

I think the most we see between now and say January is either a waiver claim or a relatively small UFA signing. When the deadline rolls around, I don't see much happening since we have no 1st or 2nd in 2018
bang on

I think Lazar can be an effective checking forward, I just don't think that he is has much offensive upside and IMO still wasn't worth the cost to acquire him. But hopefully he proves me wrong.
nailed it

so 3.5/6? I'll take it.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Backlund wins the Selke.
Mike Smith implodes by Christmas, Lack and Gilles carry us to the ploffs.
Gaudreau breaks the 80 point mark.
Hamilton is a Norris nominee with 60+ points.

There’s still a chance.

Dead wrong on Smitty. I apolgeeze.

Nice called that and one.

Overestimated a bit but he did have a great good season.

1/4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad