Speculation: Prediction thread

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
This is gonna sound very cliche, but the problem with Ferland is when he tries to do too much (i.e. stickhandling his way into and out of trouble). He'll take off if/when he keeps his game simplified.

I find that's only when he plays on the top line. Not to say he hasn't looked good there. I think he feels he has to get on the score board more and doesn't play as much of his normal play style. Which is good or bad depending how you look at it.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
He's already better than Maroon, and he already produces at the rate you're suggesting is his ceiling.

Ferland hasn't broken out yet or at least hasn't yet shown the consistency of a player who's done developing - at times he seems disengaged or overthinks the play in order to try to land a hit or create a turnover, at other times instinct and hockey IQ kick in and he gets to use his speed, strength and shot. But if the kid plays his game to its fullest even three quarters of the year and gets good linemates (Monahan line or Backlund line) I think he's going to be a real threat any time he's on the ice.

Maroon just matched Ferland's career NHL totals last year. He's 25 and has less than 50 career points, he had like 4 points for like a 35 game span. Until he can stick and produce 30+ points, it's just ridiculous nonsense over a physical depth player. Do you really think it's a coincidence that his extension coincides with Tkachuk's new contract. Guys that call him a core piece make me laugh.

Aug 3, 2010
This is gonna sound very cliche, but the problem with Ferland is when he tries to do too much (i.e. stickhandling his way into and out of trouble). He'll take off if/when he keeps his game simplified. I like Ferland on the first line as things stand. He's got a nose for the net like Monahan but also complements and can play off of Gaudreau quite well

Sounds like Glencross syndrome. Play your game, play well, get promoted, forget what got you there in the first place for whatever reason, play poorly, get demoted, coach explains why, rinse and repeat.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I find that's only when he plays on the top line. Not to say he hasn't looked good there. I think he feels he has to get on the score board more and doesn't play as much of his normal play style. Which is good or bad depending how you look at it.

That's exactly it. It might not be true but sometimes it seems like he feels a certain pressure to make a play that's not part of his repertoire because he has to prove that he's good enough to stay on the first line. Which isn't to say he's a bad stickhandler... but he's better when he improvises his moves rather than force them

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
That's exactly it. It might not be true but sometimes it seems like he feels a certain pressure to make a play that's not part of his repertoire because he has to prove that he's good enough to stay on the first line. Which isn't to say he's a bad stickhandler... but he's better when he improvises his moves rather than force them

Very similar to Bennett in a lot of respects.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ferland is a really underrated skilled player with his soft hands. I know most just want him to go and bang. And so do I and I know that's what the coaches want, but I think Ferly realizes he has more ability than most realize give him credit for and he's trying to develop that area. I also think he probably mucks around with Johnny and Sean in practice he's learning things most players in his class would not or could not do. Basically he's still developing a ton. Honestly he's a fascinating player because he might end up being a 3rd liner, but he does have the potential to be much more while possessing a ton of intangibles.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It doesn't take much effort to use other's work and observations in the form of charts and statistics and call them facts. I mean, we all do that to an extent. But data is just data until someone decides to tell the story, and you simply don't tell a tale worth listening to.

If you must know, I judge far more on the content of the poster's opinions behind the facts and the twisting of them. Prior individual statements such as "every team has homers; I must be an even bigger one to counter the others" (or to that effect - forgive me that I refuse to dig through your post history for the exact quotation) makes me believe your interpretations of objective statistics and other observations must be taken with a large lump of unadulterated rock salt due to your tendency to extrapolate to the extremes. There's just almost never a reasonable middle ground with posters like yourself which is why I generally refuse to engage, Flames fan or otherwise.

It's not like I think you're a bad fan or poster, I don't care about that really. I just don't take anything you say seriously. Just my opinion.

You are more than welcome to your opinion of me, all I ask is that you don't put hyperbolic words into my mouth ("10 cups") that I never wrote, or twist things I have written to something completely different. If I am talking about an individual player being better than another individual player, that doesn't mean I think our roster is stacked. Any roster with Monahan as its 1C, Mike Smith as its 1G, Troy Brouwer, and heck maybe even Travis Hamonic is no guarantee. I'm not even sold on our 3rd line until I see who is opposite Versteeg.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ferland is a really underrated skilled player with his soft hands. I know most just want him to go and bang. And so do I and I know that's what the coaches want, but I think Ferly realizes he has more ability than most realize give him credit for and he's trying to develop that area. I also think he probably mucks around with Johnny and Sean in practice he's learning things most players in his class would not or could not do. Basically he's still developing a ton. Honestly he's a fascinating player because he might end up being a 3rd liner, but he does have the potential to be much more while possessing a ton of intangibles.
Skilled or not, he still needs to play within himself and when he forgets about the physical part of his game, it doesn't open up the opportunities to use his hands and it leads to more mistakes, more turn overs and more goals against. I think that is all people are saying.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Sounds like Glencross syndrome. Play your game, play well, get promoted, forget what got you there in the first place for whatever reason, play poorly, get demoted, coach explains why, rinse and repeat.

Yup.
When the guy plays North-South, goes to the net, plays a bit like a wrecking ball and just shoots the puck... he's a dominant player out there.

His skating is excellent.

I really like Ferland, and think there's some more upside there.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Skilled or not, he still needs to play within himself and when he forgets about the physical part of his game, it doesn't open up the opportunities to use his hands and it leads to more mistakes, more turn overs and more goals against. I think that is all people are saying.

I think that always needs to be the core of his game without question. I just think Ferland is a really unique player and he may not be fully polished for another 3-4 years.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
From that other place...
Monahan ain't flashy, won't wow you wtih speed/dekes/etc (like a seguin, getzlaf, etc), won't wow you in the ability to seemingly take a team on his shoulders (toews, kopitar, getzlaf), but here's a list of the top centers in the league point wise over the last 3 seasons:

1. Crosby (108,150,258)
2. Backstrom (61, 173, 234)
3. Tavares (99, 123, 222)
4. Seguin (96,126, 222)
5. Pavelski (104,112, 216)
6. Getlaf (53, 153, 206)
7. Malkin (88,112,200)
8. Giroux (61,137,198)
9. Thornton (42,155,197)
10. Scheifele (76, 116, 192)
11. Johansen (54, 138,192)
12. Carter (84, 106,190)
13. Kopitar (53, 137, 190)
14. Monahan (85,98, 183)
15. Toews (77, 105, 182)
16. Sedin (44,134, 178)
17. Bergeron (76, 100, 176)
18. Spezza (65, 110, 175)
19. Kuznetsov (50, 123, 173)
20. O'Reilly (58, 112, 170)

14th amongst all centres in points over the last three years and 7th among all centres in goals.
But Winger goals, right??

Monahan deserves our respect and admiration! He's the best centre we've had since nieuwendyk IMO

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Monahan's the type of player who's going to be underrated for a decade and after that people will wonder how he consistently did so well. Especially on HF you would think he's a 3rd liner the way people see him.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I don't care how many points Monahan can pick up provided he can play some good defense. He's gotten better every year but I'd still say he's about as hot as he is cold without the puck.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I don't care how many points Monahan can pick up provided he can play some good defense. He's gotten better every year but I'd still say he's about as hot as he is cold without the puck.

I can see Monahan doing 40G / 30A between Gaudreau / Ferland. But he needs to take a huge stride his all-around game and I don't just mean play away from the puck, but also carrying the puck out of and through danger. He should really watch Jeff Carter and emulate that dominant ability. I've seen a flash here or there but we need it on a shift-by-shift basis.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
One season where he came into the season injured and missed training camp and he's a slow burner?

He's had slow starts in at least 2 (maybe 3) of his seasons.

The coast is clear for him to get out of the gate strong next season but he has shown himself to be a slow burner so far.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm pretty sure he had a slow(er) start the previous two years, too.

In 2014 the Glencross-Monahan-Byron line was pretty solid to start the year. Monahan did slump in January but that was his most consistent 82 game season so far. Was producing at a 40G/40A pace in the second half but not a stark contrast to his 50-ish point pace in the first half.

2015-16 he got separated early from Gaudreau (Gaudreau-Bennett-Frolik was line 1 and it was awesome) and was invisible and a mess until Hartley reunited Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler. His best game was probably in January or Februrary or so, just before Hudler was traded.

Early 2016 he was just horribad. Probably his most Jekyl and Hyde season aside from his rookie year as he closed the season playing the most solid hockey I have seen him play.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If Monahan consistently played at the level we are talking about in terms of consistency, he'd be in the conversation for top 5 center. Sometimes consistency is what separates the best from the really good.

There are only a handful of players in the past three seasons, let alone centers each year that get more than 35 goals and more than 30 assists.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
If Monahan consistently played at the level we are talking about in terms of consistency, he'd be in the conversation for top 5 center. Sometimes consistency is what separates the best from the really good.

There are only a handful of players in the past three seasons, let alone centers each year that get more than 35 goals and more than 30 assists.

I just look for around 60 points from Monahan.

He doesn't need to be a top 20 scorer in the league; he just needs to keep improving his all-around game more and more. What we need from him is to be a guy who can be relied upon in every situation. Right now he's just a pure goal scorer. He's not overly creative, defensive or ridiculously intelligent; he can really shoot the puck though. We've seen improvement year over year in regards to overall game... and I hope he continues to trend. We need a guy who can put some big points up, but also not require being started in the offensive zone to create chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad