Speculation: Prediction thread

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What are your Flames related predictions for this coming season? Basic predictions and bold alike are welcomed. But beware, if it is too bold, people may call you on it :naughty:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My first predictions are:

Flames make the playoffs in a non-wildcard capacity
Monahan scores 30 goals again
Brouwer has 15+ goals and 30+ points

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We will see both Gillies and Rittch play 7 games between the two of them before the last week of March

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Backlund wins the Selke.
Mike Smith implodes by Christmas, Lack and Gilles carry us to the ploffs.
Gaudreau breaks the 80 point mark.
Hamilton is a Norris nominee with 60+ points.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Jankowski top 3 in Calder voting. Will win it if Gulutzan doesn't bury him down the roster.
Flames open the playoffs as the top seed in the west
Bennett wins Conn Smythe.
Monahan hits 37+ goals
Gaudreau hits 85+ points
Five guys with 25+ goals (Ferland Gaudreau Monahan Backlund Bennett)
Seven guys with 50+ points ( Backlund Tkachuk Gaudreau Monahan Jankowski Bennett and one of the big 3 defensemen)
Oilers miss the playoffs after Talbot has a cold October.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'll say it again, Bennett will be our best player next season. I expect him to really redeem himself, bring that 2-way game, while being a beast to go up against with strong physical play and I think he scores 53 points next season. I expect a very similar season from Tkachuk.

I think Johnny will score over 75pts, but I expect him to play similar to this past season which didnt impress me much. I also expect Monahan to be fantastic.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Zdeno Chara will be tall and Nathan Gerbe will be short. Gary Bettman will still be a dbag commissioner. Zac Rinaldo will be expelled by the universal federation and forced into a different universe. John Scott will score 3,000 points and win every single NHL award. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I think the Flames will finish with 100+ points, but not more than 103 points. Gaudreau will reach 80 points again, Monahan will score 30 goals again. However Ferland will not be on the top line after 20 games at the maximum. We try to explore a trade for a promising and cheap RHS winger using some of our prospects and try them at the top line. The entire blueline will produce elite results however, with Brodie and Hamonic being an elite shutdown pairing producing great results. Our third pairing will be the best in the league. Smith will have a decent season but actually not be our strength, but not our weakness either.

The Oilers will face us in the 2nd round as they win the division, and we face Anaheim in the 1st round and finally end our HC drought from both 2004 and 2006.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Bennett plays wing, and excels, scores 60pts

Troy Brouwer has a good season but people still **** on him

Brodie ends up with Stone, Hamonic plays on the bottom pairing

Eddie Lack is given ample opportunity to take the reins after a season-ending injury to Smith, but shows he's not an NHL goalie. Rittich is our starter through the end of the season and does ok

We lose to the Ducks in the playoffs again

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think Monahan hits 70 points, 36G-34A
Bennett puts up 50
Flames make the playoffs as the #2 seed.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Flames finish 3rd narrowly behind the 2nd place team, which is Edmonton, leading to a first round BoA. We beat them in 7, and then lose to the Ducks in 6/7 in the 2nd round.

Ferland falters in the top line, excels with Jankowski and Lazar.

Tkachuk falters to start in a mini-sophomore slump, but lights the world on fire when he takes Ferland's spot on the top line.

Bennett ends up on LW with Backlund and Frolik and has a 45 point campaign.

Lazar and Versteeg becoming the moving cogs between the bottom six.

If any forwards are hurt post training camp, Dube gets a few games.

Smith has cold stretches or gets hurt, where Lack steps in similar to Johnson last year. Not sure he puts up Vancouver form, but significantly better than last year. As MM posted in another thread, his post injury return form maybe. Gilles looks good in his starts he gets.

Hamonic-Brodie doesn't work well, so we end up with Gio-Brodie and Hamilton-Hamonic. Hamilton proves he's capable without Gio as a top pairing guy. Hamonic doesn't quite bounce back to full form off the get go, but he still plays well.

Bartowski starts the year on the third pairing, but when one of our defensemen gets hurt, a youngster finally gets the chance to step in and pushes him out when the injured player returns.

Roster looks like this to end the year:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Jankowski-Vertseeg
Lazar-Stajan-Brouwer

Gio-Brodie
Hamilton-Hamonic
Kulak/Wotherspoon-Stone
Bartowski/Kulak/Wotherspoon

Smith
Lack
Gilles

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Doing one for most of our players.

Gaudreau hits 80 points.
Monahan still isn't good enough defensively but hits 65 points.
Ferland gets 35+ points with around 20 goals.
Bennett hits 45 points this season and is our 3rd best PKer.
Versteeg scores at a 40 point pace.
Brouwer doesn't rebound all that much and spends most of the season on the 4th line.
Hamonic bounces back and has a good season.
By the end of the year Kulak is considered a better player than Stone.
One of Poirier, Shinkaruk, Klimchuk, Mangiapane or Foo makes the team and puts up 30-40 points on the third line.
Tkachuk produces better and begins to see more ice time and gets some shots with Monahan and Gaudreau.
Backlund & Frolik are Backlund & Frolik (consistently good).
Lazar is just alright.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Hamonic-Brodie doesn't work well, so we end up with Gio-Brodie and Hamilton-Hamonic. Hamilton proves he's capable without Gio as a top pairing guy. Hamonic doesn't quite bounce back to full form off the get go, but he still plays well.

QQTYDFh_d.jpg

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
-Brodie and Hamonic fail to find chemistry, Stone steps up to 2nd pairing.
-Backlund starts strong but gets injured. Bennett steps up and excels. Jankowski does well at 3C, Flames don't miss a beat.
-Ferland is ok on the 1st line, puts up 35-40 points
-Lazar has 20 points
-Smith/Lack are solid but not a huge improvement over last year, just more consistent
-Foo gets 9 games, moderate success, 3 points and shows potential

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
- The Flames will be in a comfortable playoff position for at least a 3/4 of the season. Reason being most of our roster already knows Gully's system and have seen success with it and we won't have the suffer through the growing pains we had at the start of the last season (as well as back injuries and contract negotiations).

- There will be a lot of members posting in the crow eating thread about Brouwer (or at least there should be).

- Matt Stajan will receive the silver stick while donning the flaming C.

- We will win the season series against the Oil.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
- The Flames will be in a comfortable playoff position for at least a 3/4 of the season. Reason being most of our roster already knows Gully's system and have seen success with it and we won't have the suffer through the growing pains we had at the start of the last season (as well as back injuries and contract negotiations).

- There will be a lot of members posting in the crow eating thread about Brouwer (or at least there should be).

- Matt Stajan will receive the silver stick while donning the flaming C.

- We will win the season series against the Oil.

Didn't realize he's only 65 games away. Short of a big injury or him falling off a big enough cliff that he's scratched a lot, he should definitely get it.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Didn't realize he's only 65 games away. Short of a big injury or him falling off a big enough cliff that he's scratched a lot, he should definitely get it.

Yeah, it was more of a slight against those who think he will or should get traded :naughty:

I was 50/50 leading up to the expansion draft, but after Vegas selected Engelland, I'm now leaning at 90% with the 10% for significant injury or trade.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Mike Smith makes no less than 6 blunders playing the puck.

Bennett starts hot, cools off, and is eventually moved to wing.

Jankowski makes the team. Brouwer is less awful. Tkachuk gets 20G, Gaudreau and Monahan get 30 each.

Flames win the division, get swept in the first round anyway.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Realistic predictions only please.

This is the year.

I think if the Flames can go above .500 in October, they will finish first in the division.

Other random predictions - most of which are tied to each other:

Klimchuk makes the team out of camp, Jankowski does not.

Gaudreau is moved to RW in preseason, and stays there.

Bennett moved to LW on the top line.

Lazar plays centre full time.

Brouwer bounces back with a 15 goal 35 point season and improves his possession numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad