Prediction: HF's Top 10 Prospects

OilerOlli*

Schremp has to be in it. Now we he is completly out of the Top 50 and not even a hm...

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Schremp has to be in it. Now we he is completly out of the Top 50 and not even a hm...

If he's in it, then you're looking at guys like Parent and O'Sullivan being completely out of the top 50 and not even a HM. Unless HF decided to ignore their own prospect criteria, and consider guys like Kessel and Radulov graduated already. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they did, but I'm more inclined to believe that Schremp, and probably Parent, aren't on the list.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I would put him #8... but who do you take out? My guess is he 'graduated'... unless Schremp, Barker, Mueller are not in the top-50.

I'm guessing Schremp is out.

Malkin and Kopitar will have played 65 by the time the top-10 come out. A mod was hinting at them having made some assumptions like that when they were making the list. Radulov and Kessel are both still going to be well shy of the needed 65 games, which is why I think they'll still be in.

I guess we're really just going to have to wait and see. I wish HF would release the list of guys who have graduated from the previous list when they release the 26-50, just so we don't have to guess like this.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
Im almost pretty sure that Radulov, Kessel, Kopitar and Malkin have all graduated !!

So here's my list:

1- Erik Johnson
2- Nicklas Backstrom
3- Jonathan Toews
4- Jack Johnson
5- Cam Barker
6- Peter Mueller
7- Tuukka Rask
8- Sergei Kostitsyn or Patrick O'Sullivan
9- Jaroslav Halak or Patrick O'Sullivan
10- Bryan Little

One of Halak or Kostitsyn is not even in the top 50 which is ridiculous, considaring the kind of seasons they're having... And there's no chance in hell that Ryan Parent's in the top 10... he's not even in the top 50, which is fine with me...

Last edited:

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Im almost pretty sure that Radulov, Kessel, Kopitar and Malkin have all graduated !!

So here's my list:

1- Erik Johnson
2- Nicklas Backstrom
3- Jonathan Toews
4- Jack Johnson
5- Cam Barker
6- Peter Mueller
7- Tuukka Rask
10- Bryan Little

One of Halak or Kostitsyn is not even in the top 50 which is ridiculous, considaring the kind of seasons they're having... And there's no chance in hell that Ryan Parent's in the top 10... he's not even in the top 50, which is fine with me...

I might be wrong...but I think Bryan Little has already been accounted for....#26 if I remember correctly

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ryan Parent WILL BE in the Top-10... Albeit No.10, I guess.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

So here's my list:

1- Erik Johnson
2- Nicklas Backstrom
3- Jonathan Toews
4- Jack Johnson
5- Cam Barker
6- Peter Mueller
7- Tuukka Rask
10- Bryan Little

Hummm... Little won't make it Top-10, Ryan Parent will make it Top-10...And I think if there's an Hab that would have deserved his spot in the Top-50 and who isn't there... Ryan White. Can't believe this guy is No.19 on the team... (was 20, Lats graduating meant he went up a rank)

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, Kopitar, Malkin (and Staal) are now on Graduated lists...so there goes that. I guess it's a gray area as to what '65 NHL games' means

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well, Kopitar, Malkin (and Staal) are now on Graduated lists...so there goes that. I guess it's a gray area as to what '65 NHL games' means

Well... Maybe if a player will be 65 games by season's end, he's graduated? (Hence O'Sullivan in)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well... Maybe if a player will be 65 games by season's end, he's graduated? (Hence O'Sullivan in)

O'Sullivan should be in because he is a prospect still, by the literal meaning of the word. Kopitar and Malkin are no more prospects than Perry and Getzlaf were last year. Malkin, now has 67 games.

I made the argument last year (I think it was for the team rankings with came out later than this does), why was Getzlaf and Perry considered prospects last year and Crosby, Ovechkin and Phaneuf were not? Because Getzlaf and Perry both played 12 AHL games therefore falling short of the 65 (regular season) game criteria? All 5 guys were basically on the same level, for all intents and purposes, the entire season. Getzlaf and Perry both played almost 60 games, far more than half of an NHL season.

In light of that, it depends on what HF now considers 65 NHL games and if they're using the more literal meaning of the term 'prospect.' In its literal meaning, Phil Kessel, Alex Radulov, Joe Pavelski and Anze Kopitar are not prospect they are regulars, established NHL players. In HF's meaning, to be a prospect it's less than 65 NHL games before your 24th birthday. And all 4 guys would meet the criteria of "prospect" (I don't know how many people would have thought Pavelski would have made it anyways), and will play their 65th game before their 24th birthday. Cam Ward won the freaken Conn Smythe trophy last year and was still a "prospect" 4 months later.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What makes everyone 100% sure that Rask is even in the top 50? I know that would be a far dropoff, but from what I've been sensing among the masses, he's not like some superstud than others names being thrown about. I'm a big fan of Finnish goaltenders, but I don't know how to justify Price being essentially a whole level lower than Rask.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
What makes everyone 100% sure that Rask is even in the top 50? I know that would be a far dropoff, but from what I've been sensing among the masses, he's not like some superstud than others names being thrown about. I'm a big fan of Finnish goaltenders, but I don't know how to justify Price being essentially a whole level lower than Rask.

Aside from Lehtonen, Rask is by far the best goaltender prospect ever coming from Finland. He absolutely HAS TO be in the top 50.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Rask is #14 overall on the recent Hockey News Future Watch edition .

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rask is #14 overall on the recent Hockey News Future Watch edition .

I'd have him on the list too. I'm just saying, since last year people (not just HF posters) don't seem to be as much as in love with him. Maybe I read too much into it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd have him on the list too. I'm just saying, since last year people (not just HF posters) don't seem to be as much as in love with him. Maybe I read too much into it.

I believe that any such ranking like this gains more credibility if one can compare it to various sources of the same type info for reference..

The similarities would increase the value and the differences would get one questioning why !!!..

When big differences do occur then ones begins to look at the source of that info and here it would be The Hockey News verses HF ..

Each person subjectively might see one or the other as a better source ..

I believe the closer they're in comparison of results the better both lists become because now you're comparing vastly different unrelated opinions, with both coming to the same conclusion.

I am not saying that they have to be equal but I would expect as in the case of Rask in question here if you are comparing them then at least they have to appear on the list somewhere of both sources in the top 50 .. HF has now left themselves nowhere but their top 10 to place him to make their list ..

David A. Rainer

Jun 10, 2002
Huntington Beach
profile.myspace.com

Malkin and Staal are already past 65 games, so they are correctly graduated.

An executive decision was made on behalf of Kopitar not to include him even though he is only at 63 games played. The reason he has not graduated is only because he had some freak, odd injury 2 games before graduating. If Kopitar was still eligible, he would be #1 on the list and it wouldn't have even been close. There is no point in stating the obvious by making him #1 for all of about a week or so. So we made the decision to drop him from the ranking.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->