Prediction for WJC 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In my opinion Staal, Fleury, Nash, Bouchard won't be there. Horton might be there and bergeron might be there. Canda will still be strong though. Crosby has got to make it. I mean how can he not be at least named. He has 45points in 21 games! That's 15 more than anyone in the CHL. Spezza did it as a 16 year old so why not Crosby.
I think for sure Corey Perry is there I wathced him get a Hat Trick the other night, pretty impressive. Canada will be a threat as always. And as always we will be missing a chunk of players to the NHL. Last year it was Spezza, Weiss, Nash, Bouwmeester, Blackburn. Not as bad as in 1999 though with Thornton, Marleau, Lecavalier, Brewer and Malhotra. Also Russia will be a threat too along with the US. But no one else should really be a threat to Canada or Russia. It will probably be those two again in the finals unless they meet in the semis.

leafaholix*

Medals
Gold - Russia
Silver - Canada
Bronze - U.S.A.

Personal favourites
1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Russia
4. Finland
5. Czech Republic

Top Players
Canada - Sidney Crosby
Sweden - Alexander Steen
Finland - Jarkko Immonen
Russia - Alexander Ovechkin
U.S.A. - Zach Parise
Czech Republic - Tomas Fleischmann
Slovakia - Stefan Ruzicka
Austria - Thomas Vanek
Switzerland - Kevin Romy
Ukraine - Denis Ryabtsev

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It looks like Russia will be strong yet again. With Canada's lineup really in the air, but they will be strong for sure. USA should be good, I'm wondering who will be the starter? They got some good young goalies.

How will Finland do, being the home team?

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
montreal said:
It looks like Russia will be strong yet again. With Canada's lineup really in the air, but they will be strong for sure. USA should be good, I'm wondering who will be the starter? They got some good young goalies.

How will Finland do, being the home team?

Toss up between Montoya and Howard. Either way, the goaltending is strong.

USA would be helped out a lot if Dustin Brown wasn't on LA's roster. Still got boatloads of talent though.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
pavel datsyuk said:
Toss up between Montoya and Howard. Either way, the goaltending is strong.

USA would be helped out a lot if Dustin Brown wasn't on LA's roster. Still got boatloads of talent though.

From what I've heard, the Kings are supposedly going to play Brown around 50 games of the year, and let him play in the WJC.

eh

go pierre hedin said:
Top Players
Finland - Jarkko Immonen]
You do know that it's not the Leafs' prospect Jarkko Immonen (born in 1982, two years overaged), but rather Jarkko A. Immonen, a Stars' prospect, you're talking about. Yes, he also could be the top player for Team Finland, but there are a lot of players (Sean Bergenheim of the Islanders and Hannu Toivonen of the (Providence) Bruins, just to name a couple) who sure are safer bets.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Here's mine

1.USA
2.Russia
3.Canada

If Canada gets half of the players, playing in the NHL then I think they will win.

Does anyone know what are the Groups? Austria is going to play right?

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
go pierre hedin said:
Top Players
U.S.A. - Zach Parise

What about Ryan Suter?...wasn't he the 1st American selected this past summer?...just my opinion, don't know if it means much, but he certainly hasn't sucked while playing at University of Wisconsin this fall.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Nash
Crosby
Bouchard
Horton
Staal
Burns
Fleury

Can you imagine if those players played. I mean Nash has 9 goals in the NHL...imagine what he'd do against Junior players... :yo: :bow:

Hitman*

Fedz said:
Nash
Crosby
Bouchard
Horton
Staal
Burns
Fleury

Can you imagine if those players played. I mean Nash has 9 goals in the NHL...imagine what he'd do against Junior players... :yo: :bow:

Its just likelast year when we weren't given Spezza, Weiss, Blackburn, Bouwmeester and Nash.

I don't know why Crosby is up there though.

thestonedkoala

God! Canada has a ridiculous number of solid players playing in the NHL. I agree if they get half of those guys playing with them, it's going to be fun to watch.

Bouchard, if no one knows, is probably not going to be released sadly because he is having an awesome sophomore year with the Wild. I personally would like to see him on the WJC, tearing it up and having fun but the Wild need him and the offense he generates.

Burns is probably going to be released if he is ready and should be, unless he goes down again. He has also done pretty good for the Wild, giving them a good skater that adds size to the lineup.

O'Sullivan should be on the USA team right? Would be interesting seeing him against Harding and Burns :D

Sticky*

Cariboux said:
I think that Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers and Maxime Daigneault must be considered to be Canada's goaltenders

I don't know about that, I don't even think one of those guys will make it. Although Deslauriers has a really good shot, I don't think Daigneault has a shot.

I think Ward and HArding are sure bets.

Hitman*

Gold: Canada
Silver: USA
Bronze: Russia

I'm an optimist. Even if Canada has no player made available form the NHL, its still a sick roster.

Harding, Ward and Deslauriers are as good as any (probably better too).

Coburn, Phaneuf, Seabrook, Klein, Belle as defense options. I don't think there's a better combination of size and skating ability. Teams will have a ***** of a time playing against these guys.

On forward, there's Crosby, Tambellini, Bernier, Stewart, Pouliot, Getzlaf, Carter, Fehr, Dawes, Perry, Locke, Richards, Paille et all. Not too shabby. Most are big and fast, all have loads of talent and many have real grit. Will also be tough to play against.

Now just think if we get 2 or 3 players relesed for it.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Hitman said:
Gold: Canada
Silver: USA
Bronze: Russia

I'm an optimist. Even if Canada has no player made available form the NHL, its still a sick roster.

Canada has pretty good roster but in my opinion Russia is a clear favorite for their 3rd gold in a row.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Slay said:
Canada has pretty good roster but in my opinion Russia is a clear favorite for their 3rd gold in a row.

I think Canada and Russia both have excellent chances of winning. That being said, I don't think many people are giving the U.S. the respect *we* deserve. Virtually the entire roster that finished fourth last year is returning, and there are some studs from goatending out on the team. The U.S. is just as much a favorite as anyone IMO.

Dr_Chimera*

Don't know the rosters, but just for fun - what the heck!

Gold: USA
Silver: Russia
Bronze: Finland

Finns = bridesmaids

Dr_Chimera*

Slay said:

The defense is much more inexperienced this time around and there is a lack of a really good puck carrying d-man. The only offensive weakness most likely - but the defensive deficiencies might result in too many individual plays on the part of the forwards, which usually kills Russia. That said, the defense should still be positionally solid and tough.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Rabid Ranger said:
That being said, I don't think many people are giving the U.S. the respect *we* deserve. Virtually the entire roster that finished fourth last year is returning, and there are some studs from goatending out on the team. The U.S. is just as much a favorite as anyone IMO.

Agree. Lately watching at the rivalry between Canada and USA in juniors it looks very tough. U20 Halifax: 3-2 Canada, U18 Yaroslavl: 2-1OT Canada, World Cup U18 4-3OT USA. So yes USA is their among favourites fighting for medals. But I think this Russian team has something extra over other teams. Anyway I won't risk to predict the final standings, never like to predict results in sports.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Dr_Chimera said:
The defense is much more inexperienced this time around and there is a lack of a really good puck carrying d-man.

Inexperienced defense? Not too easy to give the certain answer. There might be only 2 D from the previous WJC and it is Denis Ezhov and Konstantin Korneev. But from another side most players of D play in RSL versus men, participate in junior tourneys (and winning them), and most were born in 1984, so I'd say they are experienced enough, also add Babchuk so it can be very solid D.

Dr_Chimera said:
The only offensive weakness most likely - but the defensive deficiencies might result in too many individual plays on the part of the forwards, which usually kills Russia.

You are right, sometimes it happens, for example in 2001. But I think this roster has a lot of good team players(forwards) and they are playing main roles on the team though there are few pretty selfish ones but they are on 2nd roles.

I think it's all depends of the coach what kind of game the team will be showing. Ishmatov has all material to create very impressive team.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Sticky said:
I don't know about that, I don't even think one of those guys will make it. Although Deslauriers has a really good shot, I don't think Daigneault has a shot.

I think Ward and HArding are sure bets.

Deslauriers - 12 games 3.16GAA and 909sv%
Daigneault - 16 games 2.65GAA and 917sv%

What are you basing this on? The 2 teams are only 2 points off and Max's team has played 1 more game.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
If Russia sends it's A team, no country has a chance to beat them.

Gs:
Barulin Konstantin 9/4/84 6'1 176 Tyumen
Khudyakov Denis 3/8/84 6'1 185 Severstal Cherepovets 0
Sidikov Rustam 7/5/85 6'2 172 CSKA Moscow 0

Ds:
Ezhov Denis 2/28/85 6'0 192 CSKA Moscow (?) 0
Gimaev Sergei 2/16/84 6'1 187 Severstal Cherepovets 17-0-0-0-8
Korneev Konstantin 6/5/84 6'0 183 Ak Bars Kazan 18-0-2-2-2
Kosmachev Dmitry 6/7/85 6'3 209 CSKA Moscow 11-0-1-1-2
Lyamin Kirill 1/13/86 6'3 198 CSKA Moscow 8-0-1-1-0
Panin Grigory 11/24/85 6'1 181 Lada Togliatti 0
Peretyagin Sergei 4/19/84 6'1 194 Torpedo Nizhnyi Novgorod 17-0-1-4
Semenov Maksim 2/9/84 6'1 183 Lada Togliatti 18-1-1-2-12
Spiridonov Andrei 4/16/84 6'1 185 SKA St Petersburg 19-0-1-1-10
Stepanov Kirill 1/28/84 6'0 192 Neftekhimik Nizhnekamsk 14-0-0-0-4
Tyulyapkin Mikhail 5/4/84 6'2 196 Torpedo Nizhnyi Novgorod 20-0-0-0-12
Vorobiev Dmitry 10/18/85 6'2 203 Lada Togliatti 5-0-0-0-2

Fs:
Anshakov Sergei 1/13/84 6'4 196 CSKA Moscow 11-2-2-4-2
Chernykh Dmitry 2/27/85 6'1 190 CSKA Moscow 3-0-0-0-0
Ermolin Yuri 7/17/84 5'11 176 Avangard Omsk 19-2-2-4-8
Evseev Vladislav 9/10/84 6'2 196 Dynamo Moscow 0
Glazachev Konstantin 2/18/85 6'0 187 Lokomotiv Yaroslav 10-0-1-1-0
Glukhov Alexei 4/5/84 6'4 187 Khimik Voskresensk 8-0-0-0-2
Isakov Evgeny 10/13/84 6'1 192 Severstal Cherepovets 14-1-2-3-2
Kazionov Dmitry 5/13/84 6'3 185 Lada Togliatti 18-4-4-8-8
Krutov Alexei 2/1/84 6'0 176 Krylia Sovetov Moscow
Makarov Konstantin 9/17/85 5'11 201 Metallurg Magnitogorsk 0
Malkin Evgeny 7/31/86 6'3 179 Metallurg Magnitogorsk 13-0-6-6-2
Mirnov Igor 9/17/84 6'1 205 Dynamo Moscow 20-5-2-7-2
Ovechkin Alexander 9/17/85 6'2 207 Dynamo Moscow 20-7-4-11-22
Pestunov Dmitry 1/22/85 5'10 203 Metallurg Magnitogorsk 20-4-1-5-6
Shafigulin Grigory 1/13/85 6'3 187 Lokomotiv Yaroslav 10-0-0-0-2
Zherdev Nikolai 11/5/84 6'1 187 CSKA Moscow 16-2-2-4-12

You got 4 players selected in the top 5...

Ovechkin (Kovalchuk in better)
Zhredev (4th pick last year)
Malkin (prolly 3rd pick ths year)
almost every player on this team has at least 1 gold medal form last U20, and play in the Russian Super Leage...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad