Predict where we finish

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm going to call it now. 1st in Metro

Islanders 106pts
Rangers
Pittsburgh - Aging core, style relies on pushing offense (legs). Losing Bonino and MAF hurts. Two long runs will inevitably slow them down
Washington - Lost a chunk of their defense, Holtby has looked shaky this preseason.
B.Jackets - Flash in the pan, new rules are going to keep them in the box
Devils - will be better than predicted, might finish above CBJ
Carolina - Incredibly over rated. No real veteran leadership on blueline. Still no goaltender
Philly - Worse in goal, rely too much on young blue line. Where are the goals coming from?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I'm going to call it now. 1st in Metro

Islanders 106pts
Rangers
Pittsburgh - Aging core, style relies on pushing offense (legs). Losing Bonino and MAF hurts. Two long runs will inevitably slow them down
Washington - Lost a chunk of their defense, Holtby has looked shaky this preseason.
B.Jackets - Flash in the pan, new rules are going to keep them in the box
Devils - will be better than predicted, might finish above CBJ
Carolina - Incredibly over rated. No real veteran leadership on blueline. Still no goaltender
Philly - Worse in goal, rely too much on young blue line. Where are the goals coming from?
For us to finish with 106 points then there's an excellent chance we will have one of Barzal or Ho-Sang in the running for Rookie of the Year, because I don't think we're getting there with out a big contribution from one of those guys.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Wouldn't it be something if they made the playoffs, and went off to win a round or two and Tavares still leaves.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
For us to finish with 106 points then there's an excellent chance we will have one of Barzal or Ho-Sang in the running for Rookie of the Year, because I don't think we're getting there with out a big contribution from one of those guys.

You think it would take that much to add 12 more points when you consider the second half team of last year were on pace for that exact total? The upgrade (repair) in net and behind the bench alone should be enough to cover that IMO.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Not sure about the aging core bit, Jester. The Pens' core is:

Forwards:
Crosby - 30
Malkin - 31
Kessel - 29
Guentzel - 23
Sheary - 25

Defense:
Letang - 30
Schultz - 27
Dumoulin - 26
Maatta - 23

Goalie:
Murray - 23

The oldest guy among their key players is Malkin at 31.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Not sure about the aging core bit, Jester. The Pens' core is:

Forwards:
Crosby - 30
Malkin - 31
Kessel - 29
Guentzel - 23
Sheary - 25

Defense:
Letang - 30
Schultz - 27
Dumoulin - 26
Maatta - 23

Goalie:
Murray - 23

The oldest guy among their key players is Malkin at 31.

Labeling them "aging" might have been too harsh a term.... but they aren't 22 anymore, and they just played a ton of hockey. You look at the roster and say, alright Geno and Letang didn't play a whole season, so they should be fresh.... but they also have a lengthy injury history and haven't played a full season in awhile. They have Jake who should continue to shine, and Murray who is a budding star in net... but no longer have his safety net behind him in MAF. Niemi is a steep downgrade, so if the Pens are to repeat, they will have to lean heavily on Murray to do so. The rest of the roster has a lot of tough recent mileage, and for a team that relies on a fast paced offense to maintain possession... you need fresh legs for the long haul. I still believe on paper they are the creme of the east, and should absolutely be in the convo for 1st in the Metro.... I just see them falling off due to fatigue around mid-late Feb. When the legs go, the defense will get tested and Murray will start to see a lot more shots.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm also not sure how three scoring lines will work now that Bonino is gone....

Losing Fleury hurts in terms of insurance in the playoffs, but I don't think the Pens will miss much of a beat with Niemi in the regular season. Fleury didn't exactly put up good numbers last regular season (GAA over 3.00, mediocre save pct) yet the Pens still managed 111 points. Even if Niemi puts up around 2.80 and .910, they'll likely go slightly above .500 in his starts.

As for Bonino, that's the one current trouble spot. No 3C replacement. But, IMO, they'll fill that hole at some point. And can get by in the meantime when the third line wingers could be some combination of Hagelin, Rust, Hornqvist, or Kessel to compensate for a less than optimal 3C.

I'm not arguing the Pens might not see a regression in points. They did finish second overall with 111 last year, after all. But I'd be shocked if they finished with less than around 100-105 points, even with the downgrades.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
I am very optimistic given the coaching, the youth coming on and the two goalies set with no berube. We have extra picks which I think will help us pick up a huge piece at the trade deadline. I really think we could challenge for the top two spots but will say 3rd overall to be a bit more conservative behind columbus and one of Pitt/Washington who I both think take a step back this year. I definitely think we are back in the playoffs this year after a down year last year.

BTW I dont see the poll. not a fan of the new format

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Losing Fleury hurts in terms of insurance in the playoffs, but I don't think the Pens will miss much of a beat with Niemi in the regular season. Fleury didn't exactly put up good numbers last regular season (GAA over 3.00, mediocre save pct) yet the Pens still managed 111 points. Even if Niemi puts up around 2.80 and .910, they'll likely go slightly above .500 in his starts.

As for Bonino, that's the one current trouble spot. No 3C replacement. But, IMO, they'll fill that hole at some point. And can get by in the meantime when the third line wingers could be some combination of Hagelin, Rust, Hornqvist, or Kessel to compensate for a less than optimal 3C.

I'm not arguing the Pens might not see a regression in points. They did finish second overall with 111 last year, after all. But I'd be shocked if they finished with less than around 100-105 points, even with the downgrades.

For what it's worth, I still have the Pens with 98-102 pts

The problem with replacing Bonino is the Penguins used that 3rd line like a 2B line or a third scoring line. They can't just plug in a regular 3rd line center and expect that 3rd line (with Kessel) to produce the way it did in the past. They need a low level 2C to fill that role, and how do you do that while staying cap compliant without hurting the roster? Doable, but easier said than done.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I see NYI finishing 7th or 8th in the conference.

I'm thinking we're gonna see this team winning a lot of 3-1 and 3-2 games this season. Our goaltending is theoretically more solid from a 1-2 punch standpoint than 70% of the opponents.

Throw in my belief that Barzal, Ho-Sang, and Beauvillier are going to combine for 100+ points and well, just can't see us out of the playoffs unless major components (namely JT and Leddy) should be out of the line-up for longer periods of time.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Pittsburgh aging? As far as them being 1 year older than last year, yeah, they're aging. But 30-31 is not old, by any means, and we're talking about 2 of the best players on earth. I think the Pens will be very good to excellent for another 2 to 3 years, before having to re-tool/rebuild.
I may be an eternal optimist but after seeing what Weight did after he took over last year, I'd be shocked if we don't pick up another 12-15 points and easily make the playoffs. I think if we avoid that late Nov./early Dec. swoon we'll be fine. This is where Weight will show what he's got. I always got the feeling with Crappy that when we went on a losing streak, the team got complacent and everyone, from Crappy on down, sort of accepted it. I don't think Weight will. Hopefully he lights a fire under these guys asses when it needs to be lit.
I also think swapping Strome for Eberle is an upgrade, not a huge upgrade, but Strome was brutal, and him being gone is by itself a plus.
One thing I am concerned about is the inevitable Boychuck injury. Hopefully some of these young guys are ready to step up.

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I should have used different phrasing with Pittsburgh. My point was that at 30-32, playing two full seasons back to back, along with a World Cup and two deep playoff runs takes a toll. Not that they are geriatric, just human. Anyone that plays that much hockey in a short time frame is going to start showing fatigue, especially when you play a high tempo system to begin with. I predict that they still get 98-102 points, mostly due to a strong jump out of the gate. I suspect that as they tire down, they will begin to lose games late and slowly come back to the pack. I believe by the end of February the Islanders and Rangers will be in range and both will pass them by the end of the season.... though only by a few points. I believe many of the teams in the Metro take a step back collectively. That combined with a rebound by the Islanders will facilitate a top finish. I also believe NJ has a shot at the last WC spot, but likely just misses out.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY
I want to be optimistic and say we finish 6th seed but our defense isnt as good and we are putting our trust and faith in our rookies. We will still blow leads but they will be fewer than the previous years but we still will lose those important 10-15 points and be left out in the cold again.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
As a whole, the Islanders defense is no worse than any of the top teams in the Metro at the moment, save CBJ who are clearly better there. I'd say they are as deep as anyone. Leddy, Boychuk, deHaan and Seidenberg is a solid top 4 if deployed correctly.... and plenty experienced.

Last edited:

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
My confidence in this team has definitely grown over time. I’ll be honest. Around a month ago, I thought this team was mediocre and I didn’t know what to expect. But looking at this offense, I see a ton of potential.
I truly think Eberle is the most skilled guy Tavares has ever played with. I watch a lot of Oilers games (Second favorite team) he’s got hands and could mesh with JT big time. Lee is a scorer. Barzal could be a stud. I believe in him. Ho Sang is a stud. Nelson will score. Two solid goalies. The defense does worry me but this team will score. Not to mention, the new coaching we have. I’m optimistic but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t too well either. It’s a weird situation and year as an Islander fan.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
anywhere from 3rd seed in metro to missing WC spot by a hair .

the youth injection of barzal,ho-sang-beauvillier meshed with the core has me excited but I'm concerned over the coaches getting the Dman pairings right for optimum effectivness out of the gate

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE

Woah what is this? :lol::lol: I know we regressed a bit from 15-16 to 16-17 and I think most realist fans saw that coming. This year though I'm quite optimistic, far more so going into this season that I was going into last season. This optimism basically hinges on Barzal, Ho Sang, Beauvillier and Pulock getting play time and doing well with it, JT having nice chemistry with Eberle as seen in international play and the coaching staff. A lot more to look forward to this year than last in my opinion, there's simply no way we finish with less than 95 points I'd say let alone less than 80....

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I really see great things happening for this team. Of course I would have liked if they added to Eberle this summer. But I think we have a really good team capable of getting home ice. Look, there's the Caps & Penguins, and then everyone else in the East, and IMO we're just as good as any of them.

I have incredibly high expectations for Beauvillier, Ho Sang, Pulock and Barzal. I believe all 4 of them were developed properly and I believe all 4 of them are ready to step in and be key contributors.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Good. To be honest, I don't want anyone expecting success out of this team outside of the organization and the fanbase. All the talk can be about Belmont, the Barclays ice, the YeSUV and JT.

The old "nobody believes in this team except for those in this locker room" approach goes a long way, especially with a team so young as the Isles are.

Play fast, loose and shock the hockey world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad