Predict where we finish

Lord at War

Mar 27, 2017
L.I. Sound Shore
The capitals fall off isn't getting nearly enough attention from anyone other than their own fans. That roster had about a 30% turnover. It's hard to believe they could be anywhere near as good as they were the last two seasons

Caps fall off, rags fall off, pens will lose hunger due to amazing success.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Caps fall off, rags fall off, pens will lose hunger due to amazing success.

Pens I think more due to excessive games played the last 2 years. I'm not ready to proclaim the Rangers done. The rookie they drafted 21st overall everyone had as a bust is going to be on their opening night 1st or 2nd line

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think the Isles will be a bubble team. I could see anywhere from around 5th or 6th in the conference to 10th or 11th. I'll vote WC2 just for the sake of pinning down one specific answer.

Out of the playoffs, it will be the defense that kills us, we don't have a solid stay at home guy, asking too many minutes out of Boychuk, asking Pelech to mature quicker, asking Mayfield to be in the 6 and fight...

Only assumptions you can make are that Pitt and Washington get in

I think Carolina will be this year's CBJ and CBJ will be a bottom feeder

NJ and Detroit will be worse than us.

Toronto may take a big step forward, Tampa may regain their form.

Ottawa is a scary team as well.

We finish 12th in conference

To be honest, I think there's just as much chance Ottawa misses the playoffs entirely as there is they repeat last season's Cinderella run. They have depth up front, but lack a true elite star. And on defense, I think Karlsson props up an otherwise average defense.

I also think people are too easily sleeping on Columbus as some sort of fluke last year. Yes, that 16-game winning streak likely doesn't happen again, but I think they're good enough to finish in the 100 point range even without having to repeat it.

The capitals fall off isn't getting nearly enough attention from anyone other than their own fans. That roster had about a 30% turnover. It's hard to believe they could be anywhere near as good as they were the last two seasons

The thing with the Caps is they don't have to be as good as they were the past two seasons in order to be a lock for the playoffs. They were President's trophy winners both seasons, finishing with close to 120 points both years. So they could see a 15 to 20 point drop due to personnel turnover and still easily make the playoffs.

I think the Caps still have one of the better top six forward groups in hockey, and they've still got three really good defensemen. Plus they've got an elite goalie in Holtby. I think the difference is they don't have the depth of past seasons, which will result in more around 100 to 105 points rather than 118-120.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
2nd in metro.

Ho-Sang will also lead the league in drawn penalties.

I think we'll be fun to watch this season.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I think the Isles will be a bubble team. I could see anywhere from around 5th or 6th in the conference to 10th or 11th. I'll vote WC2 just for the sake of pinning down one specific answer.

To be honest, I think there's just as much chance Ottawa misses the playoffs entirely as there is they repeat last season's Cinderella run. They have depth up front, but lack a true elite star. And on defense, I think Karlsson props up an otherwise average defense.

I also think people are too easily sleeping on Columbus as some sort of fluke last year. Yes, that 16-game winning streak likely doesn't happen again, but I think they're good enough to finish in the 100 point range even without having to repeat it.

The thing with the Caps is they don't have to be as good as they were the past two seasons in order to be a lock for the playoffs. They were President's trophy winners both seasons, finishing with close to 120 points both years. So they could see a 15 to 20 point drop due to personnel turnover and still easily make the playoffs.

I think the Caps still have one of the better top six forward groups in hockey, and they've still got three really good defensemen. Plus they've got an elite goalie in Holtby. I think the difference is they don't have the depth of past seasons, which will result in more around 100 to 105 points rather than 118-120.

I agree. I was thinking 98-105 for the Caps this year. I don't think at any point they'll ever be in serious contention for a top spot in the east or overall. Trotz will probably be fired if they don't at least make the ECF. I was sort of surprised he wasn't fired this past year

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

I also think this will be the key. Capitals are going to lose ground no doubt. Just how much will remain to be seen. Just have to step on their throats early and keep them down.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
2nd in Metro.

- Barzal / HoSang / Eberle + no Cappy = improved PP = more wins
- Was, Rags fall back
- Pens get tired and save energy for POs
- CBJ, who knows...

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

I think with CBJ the Tortorella effect will wear off, he doesn't keep his teams contained for too long, I also think some guys had career years last year like Atkinson (yes...) and Gagner (who is gone)

As for Ottawa, Karlsson is such an X factor, Boucher is a great coach, they gave the Pens a big scare, that seemed pretty authentic but who knows

Honestly scared of Carolina, very scared of that team, those blowouts were a sign of a team that can turn it on out of nowhere, and Cam Ward is still pretty pretty good

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
We've been pessimists as Isles fans for so long that we have a tendency to expect the worse possible thing could happen.

Sure, it's exhibition games, but we have not had one regulation loss so far in the preseason and there are plenty of instances in sports where that happens and it IS a portend for what happens in the regular season, particularly when a team is up and coming.

There is clearly a level of depth to this team and in Bridgeport that you have to be old enough to remember the glory years to remember having before. The goaltending has been terrific in the preseason and thankfully Halak and Greiss seem friendly and very supportive of each other and that's important to a hockey team's success.

Sure JT will be a distraction until he makes his final decision.

But this team has upside surprise written all over it, just like when I find a stock for clients that has a solid foundation but took a one-time price hit because the company missed an earnings report by a penny and the hedge funds panic sold out of it.

I see no reason why we can't challenge for a Top-4 conference finish and a home advantage in Round 1.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I don't know how you can say we won't make the playoffs when the team had the 2nd best record in the league last year after Weight took over, but whatever.

Reactions: dood

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I believe we will end up top 2 in the Metro.

Barzal will be the legit 2c we've been waiting for behind Tavares.
Ho-Sang will push on from his promising end of last season performances.
Beau will improve again to be a real gem.

Forwards wise I'm very excited to watch this group. I think we have an excellent group of forwards. But the defense worries me a lot. I haven't been impressed with Pulock and we really need him to turn things up and turn into a quality right handed d man for us while contributing on the power play.

How the team played under Weight with the kids now hitting the NHL, I don't see how we don't have a great season.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Sure, it's exhibition games, but we have not had one regulation loss so far in the preseason and there are plenty of instances in sports where that happens and it IS a portend for what happens in the regular season, particularly when a team is up and coming.

Colorado was undefeated in the preaseason last year...

However, I agree with your prediction that the team will surprise this year. Have them as the WC1 behind PIT, CBJ and NYR who beat us by one point in the regular season.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think with CBJ the Tortorella effect will wear off, he doesn't keep his teams contained for too long, I also think some guys had career years last year like Atkinson (yes...) and Gagner (who is gone)

While it was a career high for Atkinson, I'm not sure it was that far removed from what he's shown in the past. I believe he had a 27 goal, 50+ point season prior to last season. So the potential to be roughly a 30-goal, 55+ point player was always there.

I also think their depth up front is really good, even with Gagner and Hartnell moving on, and their young defense is just going to get better with age.

As for Ottawa, Karlsson is such an X factor, Boucher is a great coach, they gave the Pens a big scare, that seemed pretty authentic but who knows

They gave the Pens a scare because Anderson played out of his mind that series. I think when a team has to rely exclusively on hot goaltending and a superhuman effort from their best player (Karlsson), that's not a recipe for a repeat of that success.

Their run reminded me a bit of Montreal's run a few seasons back when Halak went into God-mode in the playoffs, knocking off both Washington and Pittsburgh because of his play.

Honestly scared of Carolina, very scared of that team, those blowouts were a sign of a team that can turn it on out of nowhere, and Cam Ward is still pretty pretty good

Carolina could be a force if Darling can be a legitimate #1 and if they can find some consistent offense.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I'm not sure where the Isles will finish. But I do think they will make the playoffs and get back to 100+ points. I expect many teams to take a small step back:

Pittsburgh... regular season burnout from lengthy playoff runs.

Washington... major roster turnover

Columbus... No 10+ game winning streaks two years in a row

All of these teams will still be good, but I can see the Isles stealing some additional points from them.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
While it was a career high for Atkinson, I'm not sure it was that far removed from what he's shown in the past. I believe he had a 27 goal, 50+ point season prior to last season. So the potential to be roughly a 30-goal, 55+ point player was always there.

I also think their depth up front is really good, even with Gagner and Hartnell moving on, and their young defense is just going to get better with age.

They gave the Pens a scare because Anderson played out of his mind that series. I think when a team has to rely exclusively on hot goaltending and a superhuman effort from their best player (Karlsson), that's not a recipe for a repeat of that success.

Their run reminded me a bit of Montreal's run a few seasons back when Halak went into God-mode in the playoffs, knocking off both Washington and Pittsburgh because of his play.

Carolina could be a force if Darling can be a legitimate #1 and if they can find some consistent offense.

I think with Ottawa they should have had a better record if you factor that Anderson was out a while when is wife was going through her chemo treatments, he is a clutch goalie. Ottawa has a lot of depth, they don't have the star studded offensive players but they roll some good lines out there. Hoffman, Turris and Stone were very effective and Pageau seems to have arrived, Brassard plays well for depth, it is a Boucher system in play.... CBJ.. just think Tortorella is going to be tuned out this year, always his history, his message dies quickly... ...Carolina is about speed and that is where today's game is... Isles have to have a lot of things go well for them to have a chance.. Barzal has to step in and put up 40 points, JHS has to be effective, and the defense is relying top pairing minutes from Boychuk, will be huge if Pelech can take that spot... and the Isles are only an injury away from having a Mayfield/Hickey bottom pairing

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Just seeing it vs the Devils Monday (I know AHL team) but also even last year it's that influx of fresh legs for me and the coaching change. Watching Barzal and HoSang create time and space with their speed and skill every preseason game has been fantastic. The team dynamic has changed exactly how we needed it to

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I'm thinking a 7th place finish in the East is in the cards. Gut feeling. Gonna look at a good playoff run.

But still view Tavares as a goner next summer.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
110 points, second in division and conference, top 5 overall, open eyes across the league.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Metro:

1) Penguins
2) Capitals
3) Islanders
4) Columbus
5) Rangers
6) Flyers
7) Hurricanes
8) Devils

Ad