Predict the Western Conference playoff teams

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
We have a little bit of a break, so I thought I would throw this thread out there for a little discussion.

Hard to believe but we are now over 1/3 of the way through the season. Right now, as of today 12/11- predict the playoff teams in the Western Conference. Even with 1/3 of the season complete, it is still so hard to predict.

There are 5 teams I feel really good about, almost locks- St Louis, Nashville, Winnipeg, LA, and Anaheim (When they get healthy they will quickly rebound). But the other 3? Completely up in the air to me. There will be 5 or 6 good teams fighting for those 3 spots. And there is going to be one very good team in the Central who won't make it.

So, who do you think will be the 8 playoff teams from the West??

My picks (not necessarily in order)

Central:
St Louis
Nashville
Winnipeg

Pacific:
LA
Anaheim
San Jose

Wild Card:
Chicago
Dallas

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Winnipeg is cooling off over the last week or so and Minnesota is starting to get a little warmer. I see Minnesota getting by them in the end. The WC spots are a crapshoot right now. Could be Dallas, Could be Chicago, Could be Winnipeg and then there are the Flames sitting there right now with Anaheim lurking. Fact is P3 through 4 spots out (including both WC's) are separated by 4 points.

Ultimately I see the Jets on the outside looking in.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I just dont see the golden knights cooling off so much that they miss the playoffs

Preds
Blues
Jets

Kings
Knights
Ducks

Oilers
Wild

Hopefully the hawks dont make it

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Winnipeg is cooling off over the last week or so and Minnesota is starting to get a little warmer. I see Minnesota getting by them in the end. The WC spots are a crapshoot right now. Could be Dallas, Could be Chicago, Could be Winnipeg and then there are the Flames sitting there right now with Anaheim lurking. Fact is P3 through 4 spots out (including both WC's) are separated by 4 points.

Ultimately I see the Jets on the outside looking in.

Jets will definitely be an interesting case- I think this is the year they make it.

It is almost impossible to pick the Central Division, or at least who will be the team left out. In all likelihood, one of these 3- Chicago, Dallas, Minnesota- will be left out. I honestly think Chicago may wind up being the worst of those 3 teams, but until they actually miss, I will believe it when I see it.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I just dont see the golden knights cooling off so much that they miss the playoffs

Preds
Blues
Jets

Kings
Knights
Ducks

Oilers
Wild

Hopefully the hawks dont make it

The thing is, despite Vegas' great record, they are only 6 points from being out- so all it will take is one big slump, which I still firmly believe is coming.

Edmonton will be another interesting one to watch- they are in such a hole that they will have to play at something like a 106 point pace the rest of the way to just get 94 points, which would still be no guarantee of making it.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I'm being totally bitter here but I hope the Knights miss out. I'm annoyed that they were gift wrapped a situation where they can compete right away.
I agree... the format that they used gave them a good team already and gave them plenty of draft picks to make them better. They might not have to go through hard times and that' kinda unfair. Hopefully they let teams protect more when Seattle comes

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
The thing is, despite Vegas' great record, they are only 6 points from being out- so all it will take is one big slump, which I still firmly believe is coming.

Edmonton will be another interesting one to watch- they are in such a hole that they will have to play at something like a 106 point pace the rest of the way to just get 94 points, which would still be no guarantee of making it.
Well you can say that for any team. We can go in a slump and miss the playoffs. Oilers will be better once they get healthy and Talbot starts playing up to par... it' an opinion. Might change in a month lol

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I agree... the format that they used gave them a good team already and gave them plenty of draft picks to make them better. They might not have to go through hard times and that' kinda unfair. Hopefully they let teams protect more when Seattle comes

I also agree with that but its not like they have some kind of loaded roster or anything. I think their results are making some people overrate their talent. To me, they are overachieving BIG TIME. More power to them- what they have done so far is absolutely incredible, but I still think they will hit the wall soon............

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Well you can say that for any team. We can go in a slump and miss the playoffs. Oilers will be better once they get healthy and Talbot starts playing up to par... it' an opinion. Might change in a month lol

Yes, of course- but we are talking about an expansion team that is completely overachieving right now. To me that is the difference between them being 6 points out and a true contender (like us) dropping out.

And I agree with you I fully expect Edmonton to turn it around eventually- but can they play at a 104-106 point pace is the big question.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I also agree with that but its not like they have some kind of loaded roster or anything. I think their results are making some people overrate their talent. To me, they are overachieving BIG TIME. More power to them- what they have done so far is absolutely incredible, but I still think they will hit the wall soon............
No but neither were the Senators last year. How the got that far was they played as a team and they all bought into the system. Vegas is very similar to that.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Vegas at it's basic level is a team made up of forwards who were either 5th or 8th (except for cases like Neal) and 4th or 5th defensemen. The defensemen and goaltending is pretty crazy but their offense is literally built around top 6/borderline top 6ers which gives them a chance. Are they overacheiving? Probably, but they aren't exactly behind the 8 ball.

Reactions: Scoresberg

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
No but neither were the Senators last year. How the got that far was they played as a team and they all bought into the system. Vegas is very similar to that.

You think Vegas' roster is similar to Ottawa last year? A team that took Pittsburgh to OT in game 7 of the conference finals?????? We will have to disagree on that one- not even close to the same in my opinion..

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yep OTT had Karlsson who took them there and remember they faced BOSTON AND RANGERS to get to the ECF. What a joke. Boston was injured as hell.

The team to watch 2018 is the Ducks. When they get healthy I don't see them stopping.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
You think Vegas' roster is similar to Ottawa last year? A team that took Pittsburgh to OT in game 7 of the conference finals?????? We will have to disagree on that one- not even close to the same in my opinion..
I didn't mean the roster was the same, only that the roster as you refer to the Knights wasn't loaded. They got where they were by everyone buying in and playing as one. This is exactly how the Knights are finding success now. The Senators had Karlsson and not much of anyone else. The Knights have Neal and not much of anyone else.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The best thing is right now it looks pretty likely that either Chicago or Minnesota won't make it, either of which would be pleasing.

I think Vegas eventually stalls out as teams see them a couple of times and get "book" on their goalies, but the Pacific is weak enough the could hang on

I'll say:

Blues
Preds
Jets
Stars(1WC)
Hawks (2WC)

Kings
Sharks
Ducks

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
The best thing is right now it looks pretty likely that either Chicago or Minnesota won't make it, either of which would be pleasing.

I think Vegas eventually stalls out as teams see them a couple of times and get "book" on their goalies, but the Pacific is weak enough the could hang on

I'll say:

Blues
Preds
Jets
Stars(1WC)
Hawks (2WC)

Kings
Sharks
Ducks

I would accept both in, if it means the Jets miss. As much hate as I have for the Wild/Blackhawks, take that hate and multiply it by 1000 and you still aren't at my hate level for the Jets. I have them up there with Anaheim at the top of my hate list.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I honestly think that by the end of the season, if you rank the Western Conference teams 1-15, 6 of the top 8 will be from the Central. Won't wind up that way by points because of the schedule imbalance, but I would take the #6 Central team, whoever that winds up being, over any Pacific team other than LA and possibly Anaheim, assuming they get healthy in the 2nd half.

There will be a very good team from the Central sitting at home come playoff time- I still hate this playoff format so much......

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I'd love to see the Jets make it, only to get swept by the Preds. Have them carry on the tradition of having zero playoff victories in the franchise's history

Signed,
A STILL bitter AtlantaWhaler

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I'd love to see the Jets make it, only to get swept by the Preds. Have them carry on the tradition of having zero playoff victories in the franchise's history

Signed,
A STILL bitter AtlantaWhaler
Them missing gives the same net result and for me better satisfaction.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad