Predict the 3rd Quarter of the Season

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Friday's game marks the exact halfway point of the 16-17 season for our Columbus Blue Jackets. The 3rd quarter of the season will take us up to game #61 - Tuesday February 28th at Montreal. That is also the NHL trade deadline.

We know the Blue Jackets have 60 points thru 40 games (1.5 game pace). They will either have 60-61-62 after Friday's game.

How many total points will the Blue Jackets have after game #61 on 2-28?

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
I'll go with 82, good for about 3rd in the Metro. Panic sets in with the fan base by the end of January.

slacketbacker

Oct 25, 2005
USA
82-87 pts after the next 20 games would be fine with me. I agree, Nationwide Arena will be back to the normal crowd of 11-12k on a week day, but a point a game would be awesome with a young goaltender picking up a handful of games in that same stretch. (regarding attendance, I'm actually longing for less of a crowd at games. I got used to no lines for bathrooms and concessions over the last 14 years. :laugh:)

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Next 20 games - 12-7-1 for 25 points points them at 85-87 dependent upon Friday night's result. They would be in the heart of the race, probably still close to first but possibly not in first. I don't see 15-5 (which is 1.5 per game), but I don't see 12-7-1 as a negative either. As long as they do not slide too much in the standings, the more important points of the 3rd quarter imo are:

1. Continue to develop the young players;
2. Identify a strong backup at G (whether from within or from outside);
3. Keep Bob healthy;
4. Play aggressive hockey every game, win or lose.

If those 4 things happen and they are 3rd in the division at the 3/4 pole, that's fine...they will be in a position to finish strong, in the playoffs and be ready to play in late April (and hopefully May/June!). If they go 15-5 only because Bob stands on his head the entire quarter, that is not a great sign for the 4th quarter or the playoffs.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
82-87 pts after the next 20 games would be fine with me. I agree, Nationwide Arena will be back to the normal crowd of 11-12k on a week day, but a point a game would be awesome with a young goaltender picking up a handful of games in that same stretch. (regarding attendance, I'm actually longing for less of a crowd at games. I got used to no lines for bathrooms and concessions over the last 14 years. :laugh:)

I'm with you.

Private sections and restrooms rock:yo:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm seeing a big regression to the mean here. Maybe 20-22 pts next quarter. I don' think they can play poorly enough to blow the playoffs but with the strength of the Metro I could see them a the WC spot ultimately.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Around 80 points or so. Of course there is the caveat that they will play closer or a little better to the last five games than the previous 20. If they get closer, not all the way, but closer to the way they played during the streak they could certainly get a few more points.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Jackets are on pace for 123 points. Since 2010-11, one team has had 120 points and only 9 have had more than 110 points. The question is how far will they drop off their current pace.

If the Jackets manage to get 25 points per remaining quarter, they'll finish will around 110-112 points. I'd think that's the realistic upside of this team.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
The Jackets are on pace for 123 points. Since 2010-11, one team has had 120 points and only 9 have had more than 110 points. The question is how far will they drop off their current pace.

If the Jackets manage to get 25 points per remaining quarter, they'll finish will around 110-112 points. I'd think that's the realistic upside of this team.

20-30 points better than we anticipated 3 months ago!
In spite of knowing better, I am still surprised how negative our thoughts are (me included). 9 days ago they were on some 135 point pace, and we'd never lose another game. 4 games later, with illneses, streak hangover and a solid if not spectacular win against PHIL in the middle, 110-112 points sounds like we suck!!!! Not aimed at you CR, some of my comment is aimed at myself and my initial reaction to your post (man, 110, that sucks!).

We would have taken 110 points at the beginning of this season and every season after this one, no matter how stacked we think we are. We fans probably have the streak hangover worse than the players...they end their little funk tomorrow night, assuming the flu bug has not infiltrated a large group!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Brad Shaw had this line in the behind the battle videos - "predictable to each other, unpredictable to the other team". After the huge streak and all the publicity, other clubs have us figured out. The play hasn't been that bad though - they really killed the Rangers through 40 minutes, played okay against the Flyers, and not good but not terrible against the Canes, all of which makes sense given the possession skill of those teams (Canes > Rags).

I have confidence in the coaches to make the tactical adjustments that we need to make. They have more tricks up their sleeves, it's just going to take more practice.

The other issue is the health issue. We have a couple guys get sick and all of a sudden things look a lot different. I think the if the team looks strong down the stretch that Jarmo will go out and acquire whatever pieces the club needs so that it can run 4 lines and 3 pairs out there even if there are some injuries.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I was cautiously optimistic before and I will continue to be cautiously optimistic. I don't think we can maintain what we did the prior quarter - we had everything going right for a while there, and that's a beautiful but rare thing - but I also don't think it was all a mirage and that the True Suck is now going to emerge or something.

Of course, if we start getting bit hard by the injury bug like in years past, all bets are off.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
20-30 points better than we anticipated 3 months ago!
In spite of knowing better, I am still surprised how negative our thoughts are (me included). 9 days ago they were on some 135 point pace, and we'd never lose another game. 4 games later, with illneses, streak hangover and a solid if not spectacular win against PHIL in the middle, 110-112 points sounds like we suck!!!! Not aimed at you CR, some of my comment is aimed at myself and my initial reaction to your post (man, 110, that sucks!).

We would have taken 110 points at the beginning of this season and every season after this one, no matter how stacked we think we are. We fans probably have the streak hangover worse than the players...they end their little funk tomorrow night, assuming the flu bug has not infiltrated a large group!

Funny how expectations can change so quickly. I had written off the ECHL team I follow, the Cyclones, and now they've gone on a 5 game winning streak-without their two best offensive players. Goofy stuff:laugh:

I thought the CBJ would be great last year. This year I projected that they'd need everything to work out right to squeak into the playoffs. Ooops!

110 points would mean that the CBJ capture 60% of their remaining potential points. That's a pretty good clip-the equivalent of a 98 points season which is always good enough for a playoff spot.

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Congratulations to the following; CBJ Bob, CBJfan44, CBJFan827, CBJWennberg10, Cyclones Rock, EspenK, Forepar, jacketsgeek, JKinCLE, ndd17, slacketbacker, Tri state Ranger.

You all selected that the CBJ would have 82-87 points and remain in the playoff hunt at the 3 quarter poll.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Congratulations to the following; CBJ Bob, CBJfan44, CBJFan827, CBJWennberg10, Cyclones Rock, EspenK, Forepar, jacketsgeek, JKinCLE, ndd17, slacketbacker, Tri state Ranger.

You all selected that the CBJ would have 82-87 points and remain in the playoff hunt at the 3 quarter poll.

Where's my prize?

Old Guy

Aug 30, 2015
Where's my prize?

Coloring-book-vector-set-03.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad