Speculation: [Predict the] 2017-18 Jets Roster / Lines

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Is this what I want to happen or what I expect to happen? If it's what I want to happen then I'll go with a somewhat believable scenario.

So Jets finish 5th but because of VGK are pushed back to 6th. Which we use to draft Valimaki.

We trade Perreault at the XD to a team looking to upgrade over their protected guys at wing and get picks and maybe prospects. We sign Thorburn to a 1 year $2 mil contract for XD purposes. We also try to trade Myers and manage to find a taker. He is moved for picks/prospects. VGK takes Matthias

We sign Tucker Poolman to an entry level deal and he shows well in TC. Chevy and Trouba's agent get a deal done before training camp that locks Trouba up long term with the Jets. He's our #1 going forward. Connor and Roslovic both make the team out of TC. We acquire Kulikov and Mason in FA.

Forwards
Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Petan - Roslovic - Dano
Copp - Lowry - Armia
De Leo

Defence
Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Enstrom - Poolman
Chiarot, Stuart

Goalies
Mason
Hellebuyck

yukonfloyd*

Feb 19, 2017
Yukon
Not really what I want but I could see Maurice going with...

Ehlers-Little-Wheeler
Perrault-Scheif-Laine
Connor-Lowry-Armia
Matthias-Copp-Lemieux
Roslo-Petan first call ups
(Lose Dano to Vegas)

Myers-Buff
Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom-Poolman
Chiarot-Low-Cost UFA

Helle
Darling
(Still not really believing that Chevy will be able to sign a top UFA... probably bring Budaj back...)

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Not really what I want but I could see Maurice going with...

Ehlers-Little-Wheeler
Perrault-Scheif-Laine
Connor-Lowry-Armia
Matthias-Copp-Lemieux
Roslo-Petan first call ups
(Lose Dano to Vegas)

Myers-Buff
Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom-Poolman
Chiarot-Low-Cost UFA

Helle
Darling
(Still not really believing that Chevy will be able to sign a top UFA... probably bring Budaj back...)

Buff might actually be the right player to play with Myers, given the former's ability to repel zone entries and the latter's struggles with it.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
going all in :)

LaineScheifeleEhlers
Perrault little wheeler
Connor patrick roslovic
Matthias lowry dano
copp petan

morrissey trouba
Poolman byfuglien
Enstrom myers
Chairot Postma

Hellybuyck
Comrie
Hutchinson

Yeah!!

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
If one of those UFAs is Postma I'll be happy. I'm not seeing any UFA options that are better AND cheap enough to sign for the 3rd pair/pressbox.

Also, lets be real... Chiarot will be on this team, whether we like it or not

I'd be happy with Postma too.

What I'd really like is for the jets to use Myers + Petan/Dano/Armia + Logan Stanley + Whatever and trade for Duchene before the XD. I'd be willing to use Myers + 1 of Petan/Armia/Dano + whatever else it takes for him.

Solves expansion, Vegas takes Copp/Mathias

Ehlers - Chef - Laine
Connor - Little - Wheels
MP - Duchene - Armia/Dano
Matthias/Lemieux - Lowry - Copp/Lemieux

JoMo - Trouba
Toby - Buff
Niku - Postma
Poolman

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd be happy with Postma too.

What I'd really like is for the jets to use Myers + Petan/Dano/Armia + Logan Stanley + Whatever and trade for Duchene before the XD. I'd be willing to use Myers + 1 of Petan/Armia/Dano + whatever else it takes for him.

Solves expansion, Vegas takes Copp/Mathias

Ehlers - Chef - Laine
Connor - Little - Wheels
MP - Duchene - Armia/Dano
Matthias/Lemieux - Lowry - Copp/Lemieux

JoMo - Trouba
Toby - Buff
Niku - Postma
Poolman

Another thing about that is I bet the only starter for a Duchene deal from the Avs. Who look to be going rebuild again is likely Connor/Roslovic + our 1st rounder and likely more. I've heard the price is a A prospect, a 1st and in some cases another B prospect. But we may be able to get away with Roslovic + our 1st. Don't think I'd do tat though.
I seriously doubt they are interested in a 27 year old RHD coming off 2 surgeries in the past year.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Buff might actually be the right player to play with Myers, given the former's ability to repel zone entries and the latter's struggles with it.

Not trying to jump on you, but a few questions about this...

Myers goal differential the last two seasons is second best on the Jets. His gf% is 54.7 and Buff is at 51%. His corsi is worse than Buff but not by a ton. Less than 1% difference. Myers is about same as Trouba. Myers has only played 80 games last two years so maybe that's a factor?

To me it looks like Buff stops the entries a bit more. But Myers prevents the catastrophic pinch often enough to be better defensively than Buff. Maybe they would work together. Myes passing is kinda lame and Buff can get it out no matter what if you send it his way.

Or are Myers GA numbers better than Toby and Morrissey simply because he hasn't had to play with Buff and have more gaffes end up in the back if the net?

Just curious on your thoughts.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Another thing about that is I bet the only starter for a Duchene deal from the Avs. Who look to be going rebuild again is likely Connor/Roslovic + our 1st rounder and likely more. I've heard the price is a A prospect, a 1st and in some cases another B prospect. But we may be able to get away with Roslovic + our 1st. Don't think I'd do tat though.
I seriously doubt they are interested in a 27 year old RHD coming off 2 surgeries in the past year.

I'd be willing to use one of Connor or Roslo plus a first. They need help on D and I believe they can protect him he's a top 4 guy when healthy with team friendly contract in terms of salary . If they don't want him then I'd be willing to go with 1st + Connor or Roslo + something like a Stanley.

NK59

Jan 4, 2017
Forwards
Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Copp-Little-Wheeler
Connor-Petan-Armia
Matthias-Lowry-Dano
Perrault/Thorburn

Defence
Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom-Buff
Myers-Poolman
Chiarot

Goalies
Mason
Hellebuyck

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
going all in :)

LaineScheifeleEhlers
Perrault little wheeler
Connor patrick roslovic
Matthias lowry dano
copp petan

morrissey trouba
Poolman byfuglien
Enstrom myers
Chairot Postma

Hellybuyck
Comrie
Hutchinson

Yeah!!

Who is Patrick? If your talking the No.1 player in this years draft it ain't happening, I know it would be amazing to trade for the first pick and pick the first ever Winnipeg player 1st Overall, but that would be to large of a buy and our franchise can't afford it.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Nolan Patrick. This year's concensus 1st Overall draft pick

How do you expect us to get him? We need a D-man and Goalie and if we're getting him we are most likely tradeing 2 First round picks, a second and a good Prospect or good player(Maybe even 2). Which means we can't pick any top Defensive players in this years draft and we can't even pick a top Goalie in the second and we will lose A) a key piece to our team this season or B) a Future contributer.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
How do you expect us to get him? We need a D-man and Goalie and if we're getting him we are most likely tradeing 2 First round picks, a second and a good Prospect or good player(Maybe even 2). Which means we can't pick any top Defensive players in this years draft and we can't even pick a top Goalie in the second and we will lose A) a key piece to our team this season or B) a Future contributer.

I don't expect to get him. I wasn't the one who suggested he would be in our lineup.

I was just answering your question.

I think the poster who posted that line up was doing so tongue in cheek.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'd be willing to use one of Connor or Roslo plus a first. They need help on D and I believe they can protect him he's a top 4 guy when healthy with team friendly contract in terms of salary . If they don't want him then I'd be willing to go with 1st + Connor or Roslo + something like a Stanley.

If they are planning a full on rebuild I seriously doubt a 27 year old defencemen with two major surguries would be in their plans.
They may have interest in Stanley. Hard to say. I don't think I'd give up Connor/Roslovic and a top ten pick ++ for Duchene. Who could likely bolt in two years. That or we would just have to trade him in another season and a half because we can't afford the raise he would likely want. I just don't see the fit. It makes our window smaller. I'd rather keep Connor and Roslovic for the much larger window we have with the younger guys. I'd actually prefer it if we traded Wheeler and Buff in a few years to supplement them personally.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No one should delude themselves that Petan will be anywhere near this roster next year...

Given the likely hood of us losing one of Copp, Armia or Dano for ntohing and if we don't resign Thorburn. Petan is likely guaranteed a roster spot next year. There is a way around this conundrum but I don't expect the Jets management to see it as the viable solution or even think of it.

yukonfloyd*

Feb 19, 2017
Yukon
Disagree. Petan has been a good player, is young and getting better, and will be on the team next year.

I am one of the biggest Petan supporters out there... but Maurice just either doesn't like him or thinks he's too small. I don't see that changing.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Ehlers/Scheif/Laine
Perreault/Little/Wheeler
Connor/Petan/Dano
Lemieux/Lowry/Armia
Copp

Morrissey/Trouba
Enstrom/Buff
Poolman/Myers

I think we deal Mathias when we know Lemieux is ready to take his spot, Roslovic will be kept on the Moose another year, and developed to be a possible Little replacement at the end of his contract.

While I like what the Mathias/Lowry/Armia line has done this season, I think Lemieux will bring more grit and toughness, over Mathias, and some goal scoring as well.

NK59

Jan 4, 2017
I am one of the biggest Petan supporters out there... but Maurice just either doesn't like him or thinks he's too small. I don't see that changing.

TYLER JOHNSON ------------- GP G A PTS
2007–08 Spokane Chiefs WHL 69 13 22 35
2008–09 Spokane Chiefs WHL 62 26 35 61
2009–10 Spokane Chiefs WHL 64 36 35 71
2010–11 Spokane Chiefs WHL 71 53 62 115
2011–12 Norfolk Admirals AHL 75 31 37 68
2012–13 Syracuse Crunch AHL 62 37 28 65

NIC PETAN -------------------------- GP G A PTS
2011–12 Portland Winterhawks WHL 61 14 21 35
2012–13 Portland Winterhawks WHL 71 46 74 120
2013–14 Portland Winterhawks WHL 63 35 78 113
2014–15 Portland Winterhawks WHL 54 15 74 89
2015–16 Manitoba Moose AHL 47 9 23 32 (26 Games w Jets)

yukonfloyd*

Feb 19, 2017
Yukon
TYLER JOHNSON ------------- GP G A PTS
2007–08 Spokane Chiefs WHL 69 13 22 35
2008–09 Spokane Chiefs WHL 62 26 35 61
2009–10 Spokane Chiefs WHL 64 36 35 71
2010–11 Spokane Chiefs WHL 71 53 62 115
2011–12 Norfolk Admirals AHL 75 31 37 68
2012–13 Syracuse Crunch AHL 62 37 28 65

NIC PETAN -------------------------- GP G A PTS
2011–12 Portland Winterhawks WHL 61 14 21 35
2012–13 Portland Winterhawks WHL 71 46 74 120
2013–14 Portland Winterhawks WHL 63 35 78 113
2014–15 Portland Winterhawks WHL 54 15 74 89
2015–16 Manitoba Moose AHL 47 9 23 32 (26 Games w Jets)

Preaching to the choir man...

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What I'd like to see after Chevy gets aggressive in free agency and signs Bishop and Alzner for a combined 12m (we are losing about 105m with Staf and Pavs and Thorbs, etc... gone)

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Armia
MP-Roslo-Wheeler
Copp-Lowry-Dano
Tanev and Petan moving in and out of the roster when needed.

Morrissey Trouba
Alzner Buff
Enstrom Buff
Postma/Poolman (player that wins the job in TC)

Bishop/Helle

What we'll probably see after losing MP to Vegas...

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Matthias-Lowry-Armia
Copp-Roslo-Dano
(Petan)
Morrissey Trouba
Enstrom Buff
Poolman Myers
(Stu/Chiarot)

Helle/?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What I'd like to see after Chevy gets aggressive in free agency and signs Bishop and Alzner for a combined 12m (we are losing about 105m with Staf and Pavs and Thorbs, etc... gone)

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Armia
MP-Roslo-Wheeler
Copp-Lowry-Dano
Tanev and Petan moving in and out of the roster when needed.

Morrissey Trouba
Alzner Buff
Enstrom Buff
Postma/Poolman (player that wins the job in TC)

Bishop/Helle

What we'll probably see after losing MP to Vegas...

Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Matthias-Lowry-Armia
Copp-Roslo-Dano
(Petan)
Morrissey Trouba
Enstrom Buff
Poolman Myers
(Stu/Chiarot)

Helle/?

Bishop and Alzner are both getting $6 mil in FA? For how long?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Bishop and Alzner are both getting $6 mil in FA? For how long?

Alzner 5 and Bishop 4...unless they would sign a year shorter each....otherwise go after my Halak at 30% retained for Hutch suggestion...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad