Predict possible 2018 WC national teams roster

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
I will focus on Russia. Theres a million different combinations but I will suggest something like this.

Dmitry Poloz, Fedor Smolov, Aleksandr Kokorin

Aleksandr Golovin, Denis Glushakov, Aleksandr Erokhin

Mario Fernandes, Fedor Kudryashov, Viktor Vasin, Igor Smolnikov

Akinfeev, Lunev

Some other possible starters:

Alan Dzagoev
Aleksei Miranchuk
Roman Neustadter
Artem Dzyuba
Oleg Shatov
Daler Kuzyayev
etc

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
If we make it, which we're in the lead of the group right now...
Ivory Coast (definitely more my picks than likely Wilmots picks)

Sylvain Gbohouo
Sayouba Mande
Axel Kacout

Serge Aurier - Eric Bailly - Lamine Kone - Adama Traore
Brice Dja Djedje - Joris Gnagnon - Wilfried Kanon

Franck Kessie - Seko Fofana
Jean-Philippe Gbamin - Cheick Doukoure

Wilfried Zaha - Jean-Michael Seri - Gervinho
Maxwel Cornet - Jeremie Boga - Max Gradel (Nicolas Pepe)

Wilfried Bony
Seydou Doumbia

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
My 2 favorite NTs

Argentina

Romero
Fazio - Otamendi - Rojo
Gaitan - Mascherano - Biglia - Di maria
Messi - Dybala
Icardi​

Italy

Buffon
Rugani - Bonucci - Chiellini
Florenzi - De Rossi - Verratti - Darmian
Bernardeschi - Inisgne
Belotti​

I know Ventura is keen on playing 4-4-2 but he should be dropping this nonsense. It doesn't suite the players at his disposal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
German team is looking like the best we can hope for is some iteration of:

Werner - Mueller
Ozil
Hector/Sane - Kroos - Ilkay* - Brandt/Sane
Hummels - Boateng - Kimmich
Neuer​

*Dahoud / Kramer / Weigl / Rudy / Demirbay | Gotze / Stindl / Reus / Draxler

With the formation becoming more of a 3-3-2-2/3-3-1-3 if it's one of the latter four instead of the first five; and one of those latter four replaces Mueller if he's in EM form.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
My attempt of team Russia

Starting 11:

Smolov - Kokorin
-----Golovin
----Kuzyaev---Dzagoev
-----Glushakov
Schennikov-Dzhikiya-Vasin-Fernandes
Akinfeev

Subs:
Lunev, Mitryushkin

Rausch, Neutsteidter, Smolnikov, Karavaev
Tarasov, Yerokhin, Miranchuk
Poloz, Dzyuba

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Werner
Reus - Özil - Brandt
Gündoğan - Kroos
Hector - Boateng - Hummels - Kimmich
Neuer​

Neuer, Ter Stegen, Trapp
Boateng, Hector, Hummels, Kimmich, Mustafi, Rüdiger, Süle
Brandt, Can, Draxler, Goretzka, Gündoğan, Khedira, Kroos, Özil, Reus, Sané
Gómez, Müller, Werner

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Werner
Reus - Özil - Brandt
Gündoğan - Kroos
Hector - Boateng - Hummels - Kimmich
Neuer​

Neuer, Ter Stegen, Trapp
Boateng, Hector, Hummels, Kimmich, Mustafi, Rüdiger, Süle
Brandt, Can, Draxler, Goretzka, Gündoğan, Khedira, Kroos, Özil, Reus, Sané
Gómez, Müller, Werner

I wouldn't bet against Götze making the squad. He was a firmly established starter before his metabolism issue, and he seems to be getting back into form. Weigl definitely belongs as well. Or Rudy if he does well this year. Other than that, your starting 11 is pretty close to mine.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Götze started the season well and if that continues he could definitely be the number 10 still, or at least a natural backup for that position. Other options are different in that sense, but their versatility makes them easier picks while Götze I can't envision as a winger anymore. Rudy or Weigl could be sixer alternatives to Khedira if he can't improve his situation, but I would like an internationally experienced player in that role and Khedira is such a valuable asset even when he doesn't play. Can I would like to have due to his versatility even if he's arguably no better for that particular position otherwise.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Götze started the season well and if that continues he could definitely be the number 10 still, or at least a natural backup for that position. Other options are different in that sense, but their versatility makes them easier picks while Götze I can't envision as a winger anymore. Rudy or Weigl could be sixer alternatives to Khedira if he can't improve his situation, but I would like an internationally experienced player in that role and Khedira is such a valuable asset even when he doesn't play. Can I would like to have due to his versatility even if he's arguably no better for that particular position otherwise.

I understand your point about Goetze, but if he's fit, I'm not sure its a hard decision, I don't think he'd be one of the last places on the team. He's Oezil's direct back up or might even be the starter ahead of him. He's not a winger, but he could play as a number 8 in a game with a little less defensive responsibility. He's been Dortmund's best player so far this season.

Need to also find some room for Weigl in there because of what he brings from a build up perspective. Can's versatility helps, but there's a big gulf in quality that the versatility doesn't cover. And is Hector really any better than Schmelzer? I find it so strange that he always gets snubbed for Germany's squad. The only Dortmund player you put on there is Reus who I feel like could easily be replaced, the other three I think have better cases to make the team. Reus might not even be fit until January, I wouldn't pencil him in yet.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Götze started the season well and if that continues he could definitely be the number 10 still, or at least a natural backup for that position. Other options are different in that sense, but their versatility makes them easier picks while Götze I can't envision as a winger anymore.

Götze is indeed best suited for playing centrally, but he can succeed in a variety of central roles from false 9 to an 8. There are certainly a number of ways in which both Götze and Özil can be on the field at the same time. In fact, I hope they do play together, as I still think that they are two of Germany's four most talented attackers at their best.

Neither Khedira nor Can make Weigl or Rudy expendable.

Yeah, I'd say if Gündogan were healthy and available (and Löw rates him over Khedira; it's hard to say since he has missed every international tournament) - then he pushes one of Khedira or Can out of the squad. Weigl or Rudy would be Kroos's backup.

Personally, I wouldn't bring any of Goretzka, Can, or Khedira at this point if everyone were healthy.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Götze is indeed best suited for playing centrally, but he can succeed in a variety of central roles from false 9 to an 8. There are certainly a number of ways in which both Götze and Özil can be on the field at the same time. In fact, I hope they do play together, as I still think that they are two of Germany's four most talented attackers at their best.

Yeah, I'd say if Gündogan were healthy and available (and Löw rates him over Khedira; it's hard to say since he has missed every international tournament) - then he pushes one of Khedira or Can out of the squad. Weigl or Rudy would be Kroos's backup.

Personally, I wouldn't bring any of Goretzka, Can, or Khedira at this point if everyone were healthy.

Agreed, give me any of Gundogan, Dahoud, Weigl, Rudy & Demirbay ahead of LeGo, Can & Sami

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agreed, give me any of Gundogan, Dahoud, Weigl, Rudy & Demirbay ahead of LeGo, Can & Sami

Dahoud is another player I'd pick ahead of Can. I think Khedira makes it on reputation, so best not even discussing that.

If Dahoud can claim a starting spot this season, I think he has a case to make the team.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
----------------------------------Neuer

Kimmich------------Boateng--------------Hummels-------------Hector

------------------------Kroos--------------Gündogan

------------Sane-------------------Özil----------------------Reus

------------------------------------Werner

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
My attempt of team Russia

Starting 11:

Smolov - Kokorin
-----Golovin
----Kuzyaev---Dzagoev
-----Glushakov
Schennikov-Dzhikiya-Vasin-Fernandes
Akinfeev

Subs:
Lunev, Mitryushkin

Rausch, Neutsteidter, Smolnikov, Karavaev
Tarasov, Yerokhin, Miranchuk
Poloz, Dzyuba

Mine would be similar. I don't know the extent of Zobnin's injury, but when healthy, he is definitely NT caliber.

He is still a bit on a raw side, but I would still have Nabiullin as a sub. Late in the game, as a sub, his speed and skill could cause havoc.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I've never been enamored with Vasin, which is why I think Russia's best bet defensively is a back three with Fernandes tucking in alongside Neustadter & Dzhikiya.

How is Miranchuk looking lately? At the youth levels he impressed me more than Golovin, seemed a lot more clever while Golovin gave me Faizulin / Shatov vibes.

Btw Bure80, Mueller has to start. It's a WM and until Mueller goes to a WM and fails to contend for the golden boot, he's a must start.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I've never been enamored with Vasin, which is why I think Russia's best bet defensively is a back three with Fernandes tucking in alongside Neustadter & Dzhikiya.

How is Miranchuk looking lately? At the youth levels he impressed me more than Golovin, seemed a lot more clever while Golovin gave me Faizulin / Shatov vibes.

Btw Bure80, Mueller has to start. It's a WM and until Mueller goes to a WM and fails to contend for the golden boot, he's a must start.

Vasin makes mistakes. So do other Russian CBs. There are just no very good options there. Dzhikiya is talented, but seems to lack positional understanding. Mario isn't a CB, you are taking away his strengths while magnifying his weaknesses by putting him there. I've always wondered how Tarasov would do as a CB, he seems to check all the boxes for that position, but I don't think he has ever played there. This new guy from Spain's school, Shvets, I like his game, but I don't think he has ever played there either.

There are so many talented young mids, but there is still something missing with their games. They have versatility also, as Golovin, Kuzyaev and Zobnin have played both in attacking and defensive roles.

Miranchuk looks great in spots, but still not consistent.

As usual, I expect Russia to play disorganized and under-achieve.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Vasin makes mistakes. So do other Russian CBs. There are just no very good options there. Dzhikiya is talented, but seems to lack positional understanding. Mario isn't a CB, you are taking away his strengths while magnifying his weaknesses by putting him there. I've always wondered how Tarasov would do as a CB, he seems to check all the boxes for that position, but I don't think he has ever played there. This new guy from Spain's school, Shvets, I like his game, but I don't think he has ever played there either.

There are so many talented young mids, but there is still something missing with their games. They have versatility also, as Golovin, Kuzyaev and Zobnin have played both in attacking and defensive roles.

Miranchuk looks great in spots, but still not consistent.

As usual, I expect Russia to play disorganized and under-achieve.

At least our forward duo finally looks pretty good

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
At least our forward duo finally looks pretty good

Just watch. Cherchesov won't play them together.

I was really hoping Nabiullin would be further along. He is the one guy who can cause havoc on the wing like Zhirkov did in his prime.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not to go all Trump on everything, but god damn could the Czech & Slovakian NTs put some crazy midfield talent onto the pitch if they re-merged NTs:

Schick
Jantko/Duda - Hamsik
Jantko/Benes - Lobotka
Darida
Kaderabek - Skriniar - Kalas/Suchy - Pekarik

Schick
Hamsik/Duda
Krecji/Mak - Jantko/Lobotka - Lobotka/Hamsik - Kaderabek
Darida
Skriniar - Suchy/Kalas - Pekarik​

Last edited:

mfilipo3

Jan 13, 2017
Croatia:

----------------------------------Subasic-------------------------------

---Vrsaljko--------Corluka------------------Lovren/Vida------------Pivaric/???

-------------------Modric-------------------Brozovic.....................

-----Pjaca/Halilovic-------------Rakitic---------------------Perisic-----

------------------------------Madzukic/Kramaric/gaping black hole/janitor---------

---

Two weak spots: LB (and absolutely no proper talent on the horizon).
Striker: Mandzukic has fizzled out, can't pass, can't hold the ball, can't dribble, doesn't make runs any more, turned into a poor man's version of Bierhoff.
Kramaric may or may not end up being decent, but nothing more than that. And again, no new talent on the horizon.
Pretty sad since we got used to having the likes of Suker, Boksic, Eduardo, even Vlaovic and Klasnic.

Who would you predict to be on the bench, asides from the obvious below?

Pjaca / Halilovic
Rog
Badelj
Kovacic
Kalinic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad