Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina.

Romero
Otamendi - Musacchio - Garay
Gaitan - Banega - Kranevitter - Di Maria
Messi - Aguero - Dybala

Romero,Otamendi,Garay,Gaitan,Banega and probably even Kun all won't be starters in 2 years. It doesn't matter who they play though...they'll lose in the finals either 1-0 or on penalties, most likely against the Germans.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Yea? I think theres a way better chance of those 3 starting than both Dempsey and Jones starting.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Keep in mind, Jones will be 36, and Dempsey will be 35..

Mizaga will be 23, and Hyndman will be 22, so they should honestly be able to crack the lineup over 35+ Dempsey and Jones. Pulisic is only 17 now, so unless he somehow shows a massive improvement, I don't see it.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yea? I think theres a way better chance of those 3 starting than both Dempsey and Jones starting.

Yeah, I agree with this.

Keep in mind, Jones will be 36, and Dempsey will be 35..

Mizaga will be 23, and Hyndman will be 22, so they should honestly be able to crack the lineup over 35+ Dempsey and Jones. Pulisic is only 17 now, so unless he somehow shows a massive improvement, I don't see it.

Keep in mind that Dempsey and Jones just proved everyone that had doubts on their age wrong at Copa. Jones might not be starting but I can't see Dempsey not. If it's not him then it would have to be Morris. PS I am a Sounders fan so I am entirely biased. I dislike Altidore and think he's a lazy player and should be no where near the starting lineup though. Hyndman has barely broken into the national team. I could see Trapp playing over him. Maybe they even switch it into a diamond in the midfield and go with Nagbe as an attacking mid. Miazga I could see coming in but I think that between him and Brooks there's too much potential for a major mishap. I think that Cameron would provide cover for that just like he did at Copa. That's why I'm saying a Cameron-Brooks CB pairing. I could also see Birnbaum coming in. I really hope we find a good LB though. Fabian Johnson is WAY too good at mid to be forced back there. Hopefully someone like Vincent will turn into a Yedlin and break though. Don't really know who else would be good there.

4-3-3
Johnson-Morris-Wood
Nagbe-Bedoya
Bradley
LB-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin

or

4-4-2
Morris-Wood
Johnson-Nagbe-Bradley-Bedoya
LB-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Wood - Dempsey/Zardes/Morris/Rubin/???
Pulisic
Nagbe - Jones/Hyndman
Bradley
Johnson - Brooks - Cameron/Miazga - Yedlin

Would make sense for the USA in Russia.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Keep in mind that Dempsey and Jones just proved everyone that had doubts on their age wrong at Copa. Jones might not be starting but I can't see Dempsey not. If it's not him then it would have to be Morris. PS I am a Sounders fan so I am entirely biased. I dislike Altidore and think he's a lazy player and should be no where near the starting lineup though. Hyndman has barely broken into the national team. I could see Trapp playing over him. Maybe they even switch it into a diamond in the midfield and go with Nagbe as an attacking mid. Miazga I could see coming in but I think that between him and Brooks there's too much potential for a major mishap. I think that Cameron would provide cover for that just like he did at Copa. That's why I'm saying a Cameron-Brooks CB pairing. I could also see Birnbaum coming in. I really hope we find a good LB though. Fabian Johnson is WAY too good at mid to be forced back there. Hopefully someone like Vincent will turn into a Yedlin and break though. Don't really know who else would be good there.

4-3-3
Johnson-Morris-Wood
Nagbe-Bedoya
Bradley
LB-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin

or

4-4-2
Morris-Wood
Johnson-Nagbe-Bradley-Bedoya
LB-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin

Well once, again, the Copa is 2016. WC is 2018 and a lot can change in two years.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
And a lot of people were saying that Dempsey was done after 2014 WC

I'm not a lot of people, and common sense would tell you a player of Dempsey's make won't be there at the age of 35. Keep in mind people retire from international play before they retire from clubs.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Cote D'ivoire

Gbohouo
Mande
Kacou

Dja Djedje - Bailly - L.Kone - Aurier
A.Traore - Kanon - Kessie - I.Doumbia

Tiote - Y.Toure - Gradel
Meite - Angban - Diomande

S.Doumbia - Bony - Gervinho
Kalou - L.Traore - Dao

Other Notables: I.Sangare, Gohi Bi, Kodjia, T.Toure, B.Sangare, N'Guessan, Viera, Akpa-Akpro, Seri, Koffi

Of course still waiting on a decision from Tiemoue Bakayoko...

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Borjan - de Jong - Edgar - Jakovic - Henry - Hutchinson - Johnson - Arfield - Hoilett - Petrasso - Larin

;)

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Croatia:

----------------------------------Subasic-------------------------------

---Vrsaljko--------Corluka------------------Lovren/Vida------------Pivaric/???

-------------------Modric-------------------Brozovic.....................

-----Pjaca/Halilovic-------------Rakitic---------------------Perisic-----

------------------------------Madzukic/Kramaric/gaping black hole/janitor---------

---

Two weak spots: LB (and absolutely no proper talent on the horizon).
Striker: Mandzukic has fizzled out, can't pass, can't hold the ball, can't dribble, doesn't make runs any more, turned into a poor man's version of Bierhoff.
Kramaric may or may not end up being decent, but nothing more than that. And again, no new talent on the horizon.
Pretty sad since we got used to having the likes of Suker, Boksic, Eduardo, even Vlaovic and Klasnic.

Last edited:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I was watching the U19s this week and they said Croatia's LB was playing for Roma?

He did score an own goal though :laugh:

Silvio Anocic, yeah... It's very difficult to say with 18 year old kids.
He may end up being decent (I don't see potential for anything better than "decent"), or he may fizzle out and end up having a mediocre football career (which tbh, is much more common with promising 18 year olds).

It's really hard to say with Croatian kids atm, Dinamo Zagreb and the FA have basically killed all the other academies (slowly and methodically over the last 10-15 years), and most of these kids end up in Dinamo at one point or another.
Meaning it's hard to judge how good they are... They had a decent tournament in the WC, but now lost all their games in the U-19 EURO.

We haven't had a proper LB since Jarni retired, that's 14 years now, and I don't see anyone being on a top level to be there.

Same with strikers. Mandzukic has become very one-dimensional (amazingly, he became a top player playing wing and beating people all over the place in Wolfsburg, then somehow morphed into a box-only striker in Bayern) and is looking like he's past his prime, Kalinic is very ordinary and Kramaric, like I said, may be decent, but not much more.

If we had a Lukaku, I'd be pretty optimistic about the 2018 WC, but as it is, I'm pretty sure we're gonna run into an organized team like Portugal was in the EURO, and not be able to score.
Modric should still be in his prime, Rakitic and Perisic as well, Brozovic and Pjaca and Halilovic will only get better, Rog might end up being a top DM (or not)...
Either way, midfield's covered.

If we can somehow develop a top striker and a half decent LB, they'll be as good as any team in Europe.
Assuming we don't have a mumbling disaster of a coach like we did in the EURO.
But hey, I guess the Belgians know something about that. :naughty:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Robin Olsen
Lustig - Lindelöf - Granqvist - Wendt
Sam Larsson - Hiljemark - Ekdal - Forsberg
Guidetti - Kujovic

:shakehead

Sweden is entering dark ages. Hopefully Netherlands chock again and we can reach WC.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I'm hoping for...

Zoet
Tete - de Vrij - van Dijk - Willems
Bazoer - Strootman - van Ginkel
Robben - Janssen - Promes​

This is assuming that Tete, Willems and Bazoer continue to improve as well as Strootman and van Ginkel getting back on track with their potential. Robben needs to get healthy and stay there while Memphis could fight Promes for that spot but needs to get his head in the game, gain some confidence and focus.

If Robben isn't healthy then switch Promes side and have Memphis in, or have someone like Berghuis (or the dream would be that Bergwijn is ready by then, but then you have to hope for Nouri as well).

In two years time that's a team that'll be able to compete with, and beat, any team out there with a reasonable probability.

That's not a team to fear, at all. The current generation is very, very deep, but with no standouts at most positions. I only think Tete, Willems and Bazoer have elite potential and even then I am being generous. The likes of El Ghazi, Vilhuena, Maher, Kishna, Depay, Klaassen, van Rhijn, etc. have all failed to reach expectations, making this transition so painful to watch.

Let's hope some of the youngsters waiting in line such as Nathan Aké, Donny van der Beek, Abdelkari Nouri, Rachiedly Bazour, Jairo Riedewald, Steven Bergwijn,
Jari Schuurman, Timothy Forsu Mensah, Donyell Malen, Justin Bijlow en Javairo Dilrosun will make a splash sooner or later. Supposed to be the best generation since van der Vaart, Sneijder, Heitinga, Huntelaar, Robben, van Persie.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Looks like Serbia is in.

A possible team would be:

Rajković
Kolarov - Nastasić - Rukavina - Ivanovic
Tadic - Fejsa - Matic - Kostić
Mitrović - Ljajić

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Well, definitely some changes. Seems like this would be ideal at this point, though realistically the Netherlands are not going to make the WC.

Zoet
Tete - de Vrij - van Dijk - Willems
Vilhena
Wijnaldum - Strootman
Robben - Memphis - Promes​

That would be ideal, though there's no sign at all of Janssen being dropped despite his decline. Wijnaldum's rise and switch back into midfield is a lovely addition but Robben is starting to show his age as well. van Ginkel is okay, van de Beek and Vilhena look very promising, and the defence has some depth but needs de Vrij/van Dijk to be truly competitive. Tete and Karsdorp can push eachother and Blind can fill in across the backline aside from RB. Dost and Janssen I guess can be thrown on if we need a change of approach.

IDK...it's more likely going to look something like this:

Cillessen
Tete - de Vrij - van Dijk - Blind
Strootman - Vilhena
Wijnaldum
Robben - Janssen - Promes​

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Why can't the Netherlands produce a striker?

Well right now there are a few promising players there...Sierhuis, Bergwijn (used on the wing also), Malen, Lammers and Piroe and a few others. Sometimes NTs go through lulls; not long ago we had van Persie and Huntelaar at their peaks which was very potent. I don't need to list the talents that they followed.

Realistically speaking Memphis would make a very good striker. He played well there a few times with Lyon IIRC last season and his skillset is actually well suited for that position in the right system. Promes can also play there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad