Predict possible 2018 WC national teams roster

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Got this idea in the euro finals thread. As the title says predict your teams possible world Cup roster.

For portugal a new generation is starting to flourish that many believe will match the skill of the golden generation with Raphael at 22 in the backend and Sanches at 18 in the mid field.

Portugals team will be different. Players like Raphael, William Carvalho, Renato Sanches, Cedric, and Joao Mario will be returning starters. Ronaldo MAYBE but players like Rafa Silva, Goncalo Guedes, Bernardo Silva, and Nelson Olivera pushing for time. Pepe will be 35 Ronaldo 33

Right now I see

Patricio
Raphael-pepe-Daniel Carriço/Paolo Olivera-Cedric
William Carvalho-Bernardo Silva
Joao Mario-Renato Sanches-Andre Gomes
Ronaldo

Going to need to find a forward hopefully on of Ivan Cavaleiro/Nelson Olivera/Rafa Silva develop into a striker.

With guys like Nani Adrien Silva goncalo guedes and other youngsters maybe quaresma has enough and coentrao gets his head out of his ass

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Got this idea in the euro finals thread. As the title says predict your teams possible world Cup roster.

For portugal a new generation is starting to flourish that many believe will match the skill of the golden generation with Raphael at 22 in the backend and Sanches at 18 in the mid field.

Portugals team will be different. Players like Raphael, William Carvalho, Renato Sanches, Cedric, and Joao Mario will be returning starters. Ronaldo MAYBE but players like Rafa Silva, Goncalo Guedes, Bernardo Silva, and Nelson Olivera pushing for time. Pepe will be 35 Ronaldo 33

Right now I see

Patricio
Raphael-pepe-Daniel Carriço/Paolo Olivera-Cedric
William Carvalho-Bernardo Silva
Joao Mario-Renato Sanches-Andre Gomes
Ronaldo

Going to need to find a forward hopefully on of Ivan Cavaleiro/Nelson Olivera/Rafa Silva develop into a striker.

With guys like Nani Adrien Silva goncalo guedes and other youngsters maybe quaresma has enough and coentrao gets his head out of his ass

Guedes will have emerged by then. At least enough to make the Starting 11.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Muller
Ozil - Gotze
Reus - Kroos - Bellerabi
Hector - Boateng - Hummels - Rudy
Neuer​

Why Rudy? I mean, I like him a lot, but many were surprised that Löw called him up and didn't support the decision, and even Löw eventually cut him from the roster this time.

That midfield is atrocious and isn't happening.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
One idea for Germany in possession if everyone is healthy:

zCVkmUr.png

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
France's roster is rather young, so not much change.
All will depend on players' form and most of all DD's prefered personnalities.

This is the pool he'll have to choose from :
GK : Lloris (he'll be 32), Areola, Ruffier
LB : Kurzawa, Digne, Amavi
RB : Corchia, ???
CB : Varane, Laporte, Zouma, Umtiti, Mangala, Sakho (Koscielny will be 32)
CM : Pogba, Kanté, Gonalons, Rabiot
AM : Fékir, Ben Arfa (31), Payet (31), Coman, Martial
ST : Benzema (31), Griezmann, Dembélé

I'm probably forgetting some players, but clearly, RB is the one big hole.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Brazil.

Diego Alves
Danilo - Thiago Silva - Marquinhos - Marcelo
Casemiro - Ganso
Douglas Costa - Coutinho - Neymar
Gabriel Jesus

Bench:

Alisson, Ederson, Fabinho, Alex Sandro, Gabriel Paulista, Jemerson, Willian, Luiz Gustavo, Rafinha, Felipe Anderson, Oscar, Roberto Firmino.

A lot will happen i think. Old players like Miranda, Luiz, Fernandinho, Jonas, Dani Alves etc will make room for younger players.

Gabriel Jesus is the new superstar. Ganso is on the way to Sevilla and i think he will explode.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Muller
Ozil - Gotze
Reus - Kroos - Bellerabi
Hector - Boateng - Hummels - Rudy
Neuer​

This team would leak goals.

One idea for Germany in possession if everyone is healthy:

zCVkmUr.png

Very uncertain about three at the back considering you're also lining up without wingers (or at least, with wingers playing as wide forwards).

Brazil.

Diego Alves
Danilo - Thiago Silva - Marquinhos - Marcelo
Casemiro - Ganso
Douglas Costa - Coutinho - Neymar
Gabriel Jesus

Bench:

Alisson, Ederson, Fabinho, Alex Sandro, Gabriel Paulista, Jemerson, Willian, Luiz Gustavo, Rafinha, Felipe Anderson, Oscar, Roberto Firmino.

A lot will happen i think. Old players like Miranda, Luiz, Fernandinho, Jonas, Dani Alves etc will make room for younger players.

Gabriel Jesus is the new superstar. Ganso is on the way to Sevilla and i think he will explode.

Far more likely, at least from my view, is Marquinhos playing at RB and David Luiz slotting in at CB. That's far better in my eyes than playing with Danilo in the team. Also, barring a huge breakout from Ganso (who at 26, almost 27 I don't see exploding in the way you do), drop Coutinho back into the 8 and put in Willian at the 10 and that looks like a solid roster to me.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Very uncertain about three at the back considering you're also lining up without wingers (or at least, with wingers playing as wide forwards).

Yeah, defending the wings is an area of concern in such a narrow formation. It mostly depends on how quickly and effectively they can transition into defense/pressing, but I think it could work. It would be really fun and good in possession though. :D

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
---------------------Mahrez

Mahrez ------ Mahrez ------ Mahrez ------Mahrez

-------------------Mahrez -------------------------------

--------Mahrez ----------------- Mahrez

Mahrez ---------Mahrez ------------Mahrez

Coach : Ranieri

Bench : Mahrez

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd like to see:

4-3-1-2
Brandt/Reus/Draxler/Kruse/Stindl/Volland/Sane/Ochs - Muller
Ozil
Toni - Ilkay/Mo
Weigl/Kimmich
Arnold - Hummels - Boateng - Weiser
Neuer

3-3-1-3
Brandt/Ochs - Muller - Draxler/Sane
Ozil
Toni - Ilkay/Mo
Weigl/Kimmich
Boa - Mats - Tah
Neuer​

Last edited:

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Why Rudy? I mean, I like him a lot, but many were surprised that Löw called him up and didn't support the decision, and even Löw eventually cut him from the roster this time.

That midfield is atrocious and isn't happening.

I guess Kimmich is a better option but I prefer having a natural RB there as opposed to Mustafi or Howedes.

Midfield was a pipe dream. With Low I expect Draxler and Sane on the Wings.

4-3-3 (3)
Draxler Muller Sane
Ozil
Kroos Gundogan
Hector Hummels Boateng Kimmich
Neuer​

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Rudy isn't a natural RB though. He's a midfielder, just like kimmich. If you want a natural RB you're looking at Weiser & Klostermann until Passlack's ready to claim that spot.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm hoping for...

Zoet
Tete - de Vrij - van Dijk - Willems
Bazoer - Strootman - van Ginkel
Robben - Janssen - Promes​

This is assuming that Tete, Willems and Bazoer continue to improve as well as Strootman and van Ginkel getting back on track with their potential. Robben needs to get healthy and stay there while Memphis could fight Promes for that spot but needs to get his head in the game, gain some confidence and focus.

If Robben isn't healthy then switch Promes side and have Memphis in, or have someone like Berghuis (or the dream would be that Bergwijn is ready by then, but then you have to hope for Nouri as well).

In two years time that's a team that'll be able to compete with, and beat, any team out there with a reasonable probability.

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
What makes you think the Netherlands will qualify? :sarcasm:

I have a good feeling about Marco van Ginkel this season. I hope Conte keeps him around to experiment with him, because I was digging him at Chelsea before his season ending injury back when we first signed him, and then ever since then it's just been loan after loan. I think he could do a job for the first team.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Not very different for Belgium. A huge step for them would be playing in a more structured system that fits the talent they have. I just want to see better fullbacks and give some youth a chance. I think Musonda can really help the team at RW.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I guess Kimmich is a better option but I prefer having a natural RB there as opposed to Mustafi or Howedes.

Midfield was a pipe dream. With Low I expect Draxler and Sane on the Wings.

4-3-3 (3)
Draxler Muller Sane
Ozil
Kroos Gundogan
Hector Hummels Boateng Kimmich
Neuer​

How does your pipe dream involve Reus and Bellarabi as central midfielders, unless you're a fan of another team?

Rudy isn't a natural RB though. He's a midfielder, just like kimmich. If you want a natural RB you're looking at Weiser & Klostermann until Passlack's ready to claim that spot.

Yep.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
How does your pipe dream involve Reus and Bellarabi as central midfielders, unless you're a fan of another team?

Yep.

Haha, They aren't center midfielders, I just was posting on mobile and couldn't be arsed to space them out. essentially LM and RM not CM's lol.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
------Wood-----Altidore
-----------Pulisic
-----Nagbe-----Hyndman
----------Bradley
Johnson-Brooks-Miazga-Yedlin
---------GK????

I'm very much doubting Pulisic, Hyndman, and Miazga all start. It's only two years.
Wood-Dempsy
Johnson-Bradley-Jones-Bedoya
Besler?-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin
Guzan/Howard

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Portugal:

GK:
Rui Patricio
Anthony Lopes
Jose Sa

RB:
Nelson Semedo
Joao Cancelo

LB:
Raphael Gurreiro
Fabio Coentrao(If still injured Mario Rui who just signed for Roma)

CB:
Pepe
Ruben Semedo
Jose Fonte
Daniel Carrico

DM:
William Carvalho
Ruben Neves

CM:
Renato Sanches
Joao Moutinho/Bruno Fernandes
Andre Gomes
Joao Mario

Attacking midfielders/wingers/strikers
Bernardo Silva
Gelson Martins
Cristiano Ronaldo
Nani
Andre Silva
Marcos Lopes

Maybe some of the young players who dominated when we won the U17 euros this summer could develop well, like the striker Jose Gomes who scored 7 goals and is a great prospect.

Marcos Lopes and Gelson Martins are fantastic young wingers who can dribble and beat a defender with ease.

Lots of other potential young players who could grow a lot in 2 years...difficult to say.

Starting XI:

----------------------------------Patricio------------------------------------------
---------------------Pepe-------------------Ruben Semedo----------------------
Nelson Semedo---------------------------------------------------------Gurreiro
--------------------------Ruben Neves/William Carvalho-----------------------
--------------Renato Sanches--------------------------Joao Mario--------------
Bernardo Silva----------------Andre Silva--------------------------C.Ronaldo

Andre Silva is a beast of a striker in the making, exactly what we need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad