Predict Point Production for these Prospering Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Pepper said:
It's funny how Perry gets lots of crap for his apparent bad skating while Schremp who's no rocket either gets a clean sheet...

I just see a lot more going for Perry at the moment, however that itself doesn't guarantee anything.

Fair points, although Schremp does have one clear advantage on Perry (and most other prospects for that matter), and that's his shot, both in velocity and placement.

stocktrader

Pepper said:
Sorry dude but speed and strenght have nothing to do with size and 6'0 is pretty small in today's NHL (average height is between 6'1 and 6'2).

And any professional scout will tell you that Schremp doesn't have too much either speed or strength at this point.
What I am saying is if someone is super strong on their skates, and very fast, height means very, very little. Unless of course someone is 5'4.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pepper said:
Sorry dude but speed and strenght have nothing to do with size and 6'0 is pretty small in today's NHL (average height is between 6'1 and 6'2).

And any professional scout will tell you that Schremp doesn't have too much either speed or strength at this point.

And neither does weight I guess IYO??? I guess a guy 6-10 and 180 lbs. is huge and a guy 5-6 250 lbs is small??? Schremp will be 200 lbs by the time he makes the NHL, and while he's not a towering presence he is solid and he'll be strong enough to play in the NHL. If you base size as everything, then draft bean poles or big guys who are slow as hell "yes slower than Schremp :) " and tell me how great your team will be!!! Look at a guy like Poti 6-3 220lbs. yeah size is everything!!! I'm a big guy, but IMO size is overrated and if that is your main objective, then you'll be in trouble, you need a combination of size, speed, and skill to be successful IMO. The Oilers have size and speed, and Robbie will bring the skill!!!

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
Bryanbryoil said:
If you wouldn't mind, could you PM me the story or post it here??? Thanks, Bryan

Id rather not. The last time i posted a very short edited version, and I upset an oilers fan (someone who was related to him.)

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
Crosby 50 pts.? I guess it also depends who you play with. However, I expect he will do better then that. Never realized Gomez notching 70pts. in his rookie season was a big deal.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
topshelf331 said:
Id rather not. The last time i posted a very short edited version, and I upset an oilers fan (someone who was related to him.)

Hey everyone's en-titled to their own opinions, and I have met sport figures who I thought were less than cool in public, yet I still respect them as competitors. I would really appreciate if you would take the time to PM it to me. If you don't please don't because you have a lack of time, and not because I'd have my panties in a bunch because of what you may or may not say!!! BTW-I don't wear panties :biglaugh:

stocktrader

Wolfpack said:
I too have wondered why, despite his point totals, so many think Perry will not make it at the NHL level, so I watched him closely this season and espectially at the Memorial Cup.

His skating is average and he doesn't have a great shot or great puck handling skills. Even though he has a nose for the puck and great passing skills he isn't the type of player that can score from all over the ice - which many seem to think Schremp has the potential to do. Perry scores a lot of garbage-type goals from in close. The thinking could be that a guy who scores a lot of garbage goals like Perry but who goes down like he's shot every time he gets hit by another player will not be able to score those goals at the next level. If Perry gets knocked down ten times a game as a 19-year old in Junior, how many times is he going to be picking himself up off the ice at the next level? When looking at Anaheim's prospects, Getzlaf just looks more like an NHL'er than Perry. So did his teammate Fritsche, for that matter.
Well put.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Bryanbryoil said:
And neither does weight I guess IYO??? I guess a guy 6-10 and 180 lbs. is huge and a guy 5-6 250 lbs is small??? Schremp will be 200 lbs by the time he makes the NHL, and while he's not a towering presence he is solid and he'll be strong enough to play in the NHL. If you base size as everything, then draft bean poles or big guys who are slow as hell "yes slower than Schremp :) " and tell me how great your team will be!!! Look at a guy like Poti 6-3 220lbs. yeah size is everything!!! I'm a big guy, but IMO size is overrated and if that is your main objective, then you'll be in trouble, you need a combination of size, speed, and skill to be successful IMO. The Oilers have size and speed, and Robbie will bring the skill!!!

It doesn't work like you have 8 guys with size, 8 guys with speed and 8 guys with skill. You need to have 23 guys with all having the right combination of those.

Corey Perry will most likely be 6'3 220lbs in 2-3 years, chances are that Schremp will stay at his current weight of 200. Perry needs time, muscle and experience to handle his tall body, it's a well-known fact that on average tall players take more time to develope for the said reason.

Schremp does have better shot than Perry but that's it, I can't think of any other area where Schremp is ahead of PErry. Is that one advantage big enough to make Schremp a better prospects or more likely to succeed in NHL than Perry? I don't know, most likely nobody does and it remains to be seen. As a Ducks fan I believe (and hope) than Perry will become a solid NHLer and I also believe he has better chance of doing that than Schremp. But that's just me.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Wolfpack said:
I too have wondered why, despite his point totals, so many think Perry will not make it at the NHL level, so I watched him closely this season and espectially at the Memorial Cup.

His skating is average and he doesn't have a great shot or great puck handling skills. Even though he has a nose for the puck and great passing skills he isn't the type of player that can score from all over the ice - which many seem to think Schremp has the potential to do. Perry scores a lot of garbage-type goals from in close. The thinking could be that a guy who scores a lot of garbage goals like Perry but who goes down like he's shot every time he gets hit by another player will not be able to score those goals at the next level. If Perry gets knocked down ten times a game as a 19-year old in Junior, how many times is he going to be picking himself up off the ice at the next level? When looking at Anaheim's prospects, Getzlaf just looks more like an NHL'er than Perry. So did his teammate Fritsche, for that matter.

I'm not a Perry fan, but aren't his puck handling skills just short of phenomenal?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pepper said:
It doesn't work like you have 8 guys with size, 8 guys with speed and 8 guys with skill. You need to have 23 guys with all having the right combination of those.

Corey Perry will most likely be 6'3 220lbs in 2-3 years, chances are that Schremp will stay at his current weight of 200. Perry needs time, muscle and experience to handle his tall body, it's a well-known fact that on average tall players take more time to develope for the said reason.

Schremp does have better shot than Perry but that's it, I can't think of any other area where Schremp is ahead of PErry. Is that one advantage big enough to make Schremp a better prospects or more likely to succeed in NHL than Perry? I don't know, most likely nobody does and it remains to be seen. As a Ducks fan I believe (and hope) than Perry will become a solid NHLer and I also believe he has better chance of doing that than Schremp. But that's just me.

My whole point is that size is overrated. If a guy is 5-11 but he has much better skills than a guy 6-3, go with the 5-11 guy!!! Of course it's better to get a bigger guy if the talents are equal, as there's a saying that a good big man will always beat a good little man. The fact that Schremp is 6-0 and will weigh 200lbs. while under league average he can still be dominant with other aspects of his game. He can in theory still grow, as he's only 19 I believe. That said, if he doesn't, I won't lose any sleep as IMO he's already a solid prospect. BTW Schremp is 1 year younger than Perry and has time to match Perry. IMO he will and then some. That said, Perry seems to be a solid prospect, and IMO the Ducks have some damn solid young forwards. It's just too bad for you guys that Chistov doesn't break out.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Bryanbryoil said:
My whole point is that size is overrated. If a guy is 5-11 but he has much better skills than a guy 6-3, go with the 5-11 guy!!! Of course it's better to get a bigger guy if the talents are equal, as there's a saying that a good big man will always beat a good little man. The fact that Schremp is 6-0 and will weigh 200lbs. while under league average he can still be dominant with other aspects of his game. He can in theory still grow, as he's only 19 I believe. That said, if he doesn't, I won't lose any sleep as IMO he's already a solid prospect. BTW Schremp is 1 year younger than Perry and has time to match Perry. IMO he will and then some. That said, Perry seems to be a solid prospect, and IMO the Ducks have some damn solid young forwards. It's just too bad for you guys that Chistov doesn't break out.

I don't quite agree with the 'size is overrated' -theory (well it depends how much importance you give to size in the first place). If you have two players with similar skillsets, one is 6'3 and the other is 6'0, there's a very good chance that the 6'3 will be more successful.

But like I said, I can't think of any other aspects of the game where Schremp is ahead of Perry at this point except shooting.

stocktrader

Schremp and Perry both have some natural ability, but they will both have to hit the gym hard if they want to play at the highest level.
At the combine last year, Schremps love handles were exposed.

In general, yes, obviously if two players have the same skill set it is better to be 6'4 instead of 5'11.

But a player who is 5'11 will have a lower center of gravity, players of this height are often better stickhandlers, they have better acceleration, and are also more shifty.
So my point is that oftentimes there are advantages to be 5'11.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
it depends lot where they play.. If crosby goes pittsburgh he's gonna propably get 20+ minutes every game etc and that way more points.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
stocktrader said:
But a player who is 5'11 will have a lower center of gravity, players of this height are often better stickhandlers, they have better acceleration, and are also more shifty.
So my point is that oftentimes there are advantages to be 5'11.

In this case, lower center of gravity hasn't made Schremp better than Perry in any of those IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->