Predict Canada's 2006 Olympic Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamesfanont

Mar 5, 2002
St. Thomas Ont
Visit site
Laraque27 said:
Uh, Brewer was on the World Cup and was one of Canada's best defensemen.

Anyone who thinks a guy who made the 2002 team as a 23 year-old (and lead the defense corps in goals) then was a standout on the World Cup team, is going to be left off the 2006 roster for a Regehr should start opening the garage door before they start the car.

He lead the defense corps in goals, he also looked brutal defensively on alot of plays that brought him alot of negative attention. Regehr is much more solid defensively then Brewer and Gretzky has been thrilled with his play. I think your in for a reality check when Regehr makes the team, Brewer might as well but IMO Regehr is a much better bet to be there then Brewer.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Canuck21t said:
I find this SO wrong. Smyth is a lock just because he's played for Canada for so many times? Who cares? Nash and Gagne are way more talented than Smyth so they should be prefered.
They might be more talented, but Smyth's heart, leadership, defensive play, and physical presence is MUCH better than either of these guys, and neither have managed to show that they can outscore him ( points-wise ) yet.

Why else do you think he was picked instead of Tanguay in the World Cup? Because he's just that valuable to the team.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
2agingmonk said:
They might be more talented, but Smyth's heart, leadership, defensive play, and physical presence is MUCH better than either of these guys, and neither have managed to show that they can outscore him ( points-wise ) yet.

Why else do you think he was picked instead of Tanguay in the World Cup? Because he's just that valuable to the team.
What? You're saying Nash and Gagne hasn't managed to outscore Smyth?!? I don't get it. They've far surpassed Smyth in every aspect IMO. Smyth just doesn't deserve to be on the team. There are many better players than him. Screw loyalty, it just means that his NHL club loses often.

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
Canuck21t said:
I think you're out of your mind. Sakic is better than half of your chosen forwards. He is 10x better than Smyth, Maltby, Doan, Draper, Marleau and also quite a bit better than Primeau. This is the Olympics, played on the big ice surface we're talking about, not a garage league. Skills are very important in this tournament, even more than the World Cup.

Well theres no point in taking sakic in a checking role. Theres two Center spots on the scoring lines, i think its fair to say that these should belong to Thornton and Lecalvier. i coudl see going with 3 scoring lines and a checking line, in which case sakic would have a spot...

Nash-Thornton-Bertuzzi
Richards-Lecalvier-Heatly
Gagne-Sakic-Iginla
Smyth-Marleau-Doan

That woudlnt be too bad i dont think, lol. Bertuzzi and Gagne coudl be changable from there spots. I just thru Bertuzzi on the top line cuase it would one monster of a line to contain down low with them three out there. :p:
But overall, id say that Bertuzzi, Heatly and Gagne coudl all be switched around there. But keep Thornton and Nash together, Richards and Lecalvier together, and Sakic and Iginla together

bearcat11

Mar 14, 2005
Nova Scotia
Why are so many people overlooking Alex Tanguay? He's a great talent, and he had an incredible year last NHL season. He outscored some pretty great players like Iginla and Thornton despite playing less games. In my opinion he's far more talented than guys like Maltby, Smyth and Gagne. What does he have to do to get the recognition he deserves? He was the 5th highest scoring Canadian in the NHL in the 03-04 season and only played 69 games.

Zopust

Jun 27, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Smyth lost the right to wear the C after following up an uninspired performance with his ridiculous hack job on Jiri Fischer at the World Championships.

Zopust

Jun 27, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
bearcat11 said:
Why are so many people overlooking Alex Tanguay? He's a great talent, and he had an incredible year last NHL season. He outscored some pretty great players like Iginla and Thornton despite playing less games. In my opinion he's far more talented than guys like Maltby, Smyth and Gagne. What does he have to do to get the recognition he deserves? He was the 5th highest scoring Canadian in the NHL in the 03-04 season and only played 69 games.

Iginla and Thornton are the primary scorers on their teams.

Like it or not, Tanguay and Hejduk are rated lower because they have the benefit of playing with guys like Sakic and Forsberg.

The best way for him to get recognition would be to play without them somewhere else. Otherwise, drawn-out injuries to both centres could do the trick as well.

Zopust

Jun 27, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
flamesfanont said:
He lead the defense corps in goals, he also looked brutal defensively on alot of plays that brought him alot of negative attention. Regehr is much more solid defensively then Brewer and Gretzky has been thrilled with his play. I think your in for a reality check when Regehr makes the team, Brewer might as well but IMO Regehr is a much better bet to be there then Brewer.

Brewer is a much better skater than Regehr, and I thought he was solid at both ends, particularly in 2002 at Salt Lake City.

Since the international ice is in effect for the Olympics, I think it's an easy pick of Brewer over Regehr.

Zopust

Jun 27, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Hyped said:
Uhhh, there was once this line with Sakic, Iginla, and Gagne that dominated the 2002 Olympics. Why would you break that line up? :sarcasm:

They didn't dominate the Olympics.

They dominated the final game.

Yzerman-Lemieux-Kariya was the line that came up with the big goals in the big games, more often than not.

bhj

Mar 10, 2004
Gagne - Sakic - Iginla
Bertuzzi - Thornton - Nash
Richards - Lecavalier - St. Louis
Heatly - Draper - Doan
Morrow

Redden - Blake
Pronger - Niedermayer
Jovo/Regehr - Foote

Brodeur
Luongo
Theo.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Zopust said:
Smyth lost the right to wear the C after following up an uninspired performance with his ridiculous hack job on Jiri Fischer at the World Championships.

:biglaugh:

Keep dreaming there buddy, Smyth has got a spot on this roster already baring injury.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Martin Broduer/Roberto Luongo/Jose Theodore
Rob Blake/Scott Niedermayer
Ed Jovanovski/Chris Pronger
Robyn Regehr/Adam Foote
Wade Redden
Jarome Iginla/Joe Sakic/Simon Gagne
Martin St. Louis/Vincent Lecavalier/Brad Richards
Todd Bertuzzi/Joe Thornton/Rick Nash
Dany Heatley/Mario Lemieux/Shane Doan
Ryan Smyth

flamesfanont said:

Well, I don't recall all this negative attention, either on these boards or in any articles about the World Cup. That Regehr-Niedermayer pairing IMO was actually what didn't fare very well in the semi-final and final.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Doomsday Device said:
Well, I don't recall all this negative attention, either on these boards or in any articles about the World Cup. That Regehr-Niedermayer pairing IMO was actually what didn't fare very well in the semi-final and final.

Thats because Niedermeyer is the most overrated defenseman in the league, and is a total defensive liability.

He was one of our worst defenseman when he played in the World Championships there a year or two back, Brewer and Bouwmeister were far better than him.

joe_shannon_1983*

Here is who I THINK WILL BE ON THE TEAM:

Lemieux - Sakic - Iginla
Gagne - Thornton - Nash
Richards - Lecavalier - St.Louis
Smyth - Yzerman - Bertuzzi
Primeau

Niedermayer - Regehr
Pronger - Blake
Redden - Foote
Jovanovski

Brodeur
Luongo
Theodore

What I WOULD LIKE TO SEE:

Replace Gagne with Kariya - Kariya does pretty much everything Gagne does, only better, plus is more dangerous and proven.

Replace Nash with Heatley - Heatley is a more danegrous offensive threat as of right now, plus is more proven.

Replace Primeau with Doan - Doan is quick for a big guy and is also defensively responsible, while Primeau is slow which could really be exposed on the big ice.

Replace Regehr with Phillips- Phillips is very similar to Regehr in style and ability, I just have a personal preference for Phillips and like what he brings to the team a little more.

joe_shannon_1983*

I am surprised to see not many people picking Yzerman to their teams.

I will first say that I understand not picking him from a skill stand-point.

Saying that however, if you listen to the things Gretzky and Co. are saying regarding the team, I would say that Yzerman is pretty much a lock as long as he is healthy.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
ferns8916 said:
I am surprised to see not many people picking Yzerman to their teams.

I will first say that I understand not picking him from a skill stand-point.

Saying that however, if you listen to the things Gretzky and Co. are saying regarding the team, I would say that Yzerman is pretty much a lock as long as he is healthy.
Not pretty much. He IS a lock for the team. Stevie will be there unless he tells Wayne otherwise.

As long as he can play, Detroit's captain will be on the national team, said executive director Wayne Gretzky.

VANCOUVER (CP) -- There will be some big names that won't make Team Canada's roster for the Turin Olympic, victims of an abundance of talent this country has on its hands these days.

But barring an injury, Steve Yzerman is a lock to compete in his third Olympics.

"There's no bubble for Stevie Y," said Team Canada executive director Wayne Gretzky. "If he's not playing great, and his knee is bothering him, he'd be the first guy to tell me."
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050816_141313_5488

joe_shannon_1983*

norrisnick said:
Not pretty much. He IS a lock for the team. Stevie will be there unless he tells Wayne otherwise.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20050816_141313_5488

Well that article pretty much confirms what I was saying. I was originally basing my words on things Gretzky had said when the Olympic camp invitation list was announced in July, as well as Bob Nicholson saying stuff like "who wouldn't want a player like Yzerman on a national team?".

But anyways, I have always thought that Yzerman was pretty much a sure thing for this team. I wonder why most people here don't predict him to be on the team?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
ferns8916 said:
Well that article pretty much confirms what I was saying. I was originally basing my words on things Gretzky had said when the Olympic camp invitation list was announced in July, as well as Bob Nicholson saying stuff like "who wouldn't want a player like Yzerman on a national team?".

But anyways, I have always thought that Yzerman was pretty much a sure thing for this team. I wonder why most people here don't predict him to be on the team?
A lot of people believe that what he brings to a team is unnecessary and guys like Tanguay, Gagne, or Nash can replace Yzerman's presence with their prettier numbers.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
norrisnick said:
A lot of people believe that what he brings to a team is unnecessary and guys like Tanguay, Gagne, or Nash can replace Yzerman's presence with their prettier numbers.
Gagne's numbers aren't that pretty. He gets his praise for what he does on the ice, not his numbers.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Gretzky said both Yzerman and Lemieux are locks for the team, everybody else has to fight for a position. I really don't get that, Lemieux should get it but Yzerman shouldn't be a "lock" in my books.

nikki9

Mar 19, 2005
boredmale said:
Gretzky said both Yzerman and Lemieux are locks for the team, everybody else has to fight for a position. I really don't get that, Lemieux should get it but Yzerman shouldn't be a "lock" in my books.

Bert's a lock as well I believe.

time

Feb 26, 2005
I've noticed that. Gretz talks about Bertuzzi like he's already on the team.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Based on the assumption that both Lemieux and Yzerman are locks:

Bertuzzi - Sakic - Iginla
Nash - Thornton - Gagne
St. Louis - Lecavalier - Richards
Tanguay - Yzerman - Doan
Lemieux - Draper

Pronger - Niedermayer
Blake - Redden
Jovanovski - Foote
Bouwmeester - Hannan/Regehr (whichever adapts better to the new rules)

Brodeur
Luongo
Theodore
-------------------------------------------------------------------

General Comments:

-To those who don't have St. Louis on their roster...you're nuts. M-V-P

-At this point Dany Heatley should not be (and is not) the lock that everyone is making him out to be IMO. He was invisible at the WC's, and as of right now he would not make my roster.

-Ryan Smyth...god bless him and his awsome hair, but I just don't think he's valuable enough to occupy a roster spot on the wing at this point

-This team needs more Ed Belfour...but sadly it won't happen

Zaddik

Bertuzzi had some chemistry with Richards so I'd like to see him on a line with Richards. Maybe with lemieux too since lemieux wanted to play with him before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad