???: Redden, Hannan

starter: Brodeur
backup: Luongo
stands: Turco

???: Theodore

And awwwaaayyy we go!...

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I can't see Peca being back. He was passed over for the World Cup and the World Championships for a reason. I also think Bertuzzi will be given a bigger role.

St Louis - Sakic - Iginla
Nash - Thornton - Bertuzzi
Richards - Lecavalier - Lemieux
Heatley - Gagne - Doan

Pronger - Blake
Niedermayer - Regehr
Foote - Jovanovski

Broduer
Luongo

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I think Lemieux will be done by then.

St. Louis - Sakic - Iginla
Bertuzzi - Thornton - Nash
Richards - Lecavalier - Heatley
Gagne - Draper - Doan

Blake - Foote
Pronger - Regehr
Jovanovski - Niedermayer

Brodeur
Luongo

SENSible1*

St. Louis - Sakic - Iginla
Bertuzzi - Thornton - Nash
Richards - Lecavalier - Heatley
Gagne - Draper - Doan

Blake - Foote
Pronger - Niedermayer
Redden - Hannan

Brodeur
Luongo

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Here's how it's gonna play out:
Forwards:
Bertuzzi -- Lecavalier -- A Iginla
St. Louis -- Thornton -- Nash
Doan -- C Sakic -- Gagne
ASmyth -- Richards -- Heatley
Draper
*one of Spezza,Crosby, Marleau (they don't seem to use him much in the tournaments he's played in.)
come selection time.

Defence:
A Adam Foote Chris Pronger
Wade Redden Robyn Regher
A Scott Neidermeyer Ed Jovanovski
Jay Boumeester

Goalies:
Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Jose Theodore (if he'll settle for third goalie, which I think he will for the Olympics)

What do ya think?

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Barring injury Redden and Nash are a lock they were Canada's top forward and D at last years World's and this usually is a pretty good measuring stick for hockey Canada's regime on selecting talent.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Martin Brodeur/Roberto Luongo/Marty Turco
Scott Niedermayer/Rob Blake
Chris Pronger/Adam Foote
Ed Jovanovski/Wade Redden
Robyn Regher
Jarome Iginla/Joe Sakic/Simon Gagne
Brad Richards/Vincent Lecavalier/Martin St. Louis
Rick Nash/Joe Thornton/Dany Heatley
Ryan Smyth/Mario Lemieux/Shane Doan
Todd Bertuzzi or Sidney Crosby

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Martin Brodeur/Roberto Luongo/Jose Theodore
Scott Niedermayer/Rob Blake
Chris Pronger/Adam Foote
Ed Jovanovski/Wade Redden
Robyn Regher
Jarome Iginla/Joe Sakic/Simon Gagne
Brad Richards/Vincent Lecavalier/Martin St. Louis
Rick Nash/Joe Thornton/Keith Primeau
Ryan Smyth/Mario Lemieux/Shane Doan
Todd Bertuzzi

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Unless Sidney Crosby dominates the league in the first half the season (which he won't) he won't even get a sniff of the Olympic Team. Gretzky is going to go with the guys who won him Gold in 2002 and a World Cup in 2004, with a few minor changes.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
go kim johnsson said:
Unless Sidney Crosby dominates the league in the first half the season (which he won't) he won't even get a sniff of the Olympic Team. Gretzky is going to go with the guys who won him Gold in 2002 and a World Cup in 2004, with a few minor changes.

If he keeps improving, there will be a role for him on the team. He needs a solid, not dominant, first half.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Crosbyfan said:
If he keeps improving, there will be a role for him on the team. He needs a solid, not dominant, first half.

For an 18 year old, solid will not be good enough. He will have to set the world on fire to get in. He already is on the backburner due to his age, and he has NO expereience against players older than him (20 y/o's at the WJC doesn't count).

I would bet on Ovechkin making the team for Russia over Crosby because Canada is much deeper. Hockey Canada picked Gretzky because he sent teams very similar to 2002 Olympics and 2004 World Cup, he barring injuries, most of the same players will be in Italy. If Crosby is going to the Olympics, he is probably going to watch.

Plus, that will be an insane amount of games for an 18 year old to play during the season.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
go kim johnsson said:
For an 18 year old, solid will not be good enough. He will have to set the world on fire to get in. He already is on the backburner due to his age, and he has NO expereience against players older than him (20 y/o's at the WJC doesn't count).

I would bet on Ovechkin making the team for Russia over Crosby because Canada is much deeper. Hockey Canada picked Gretzky because he sent teams very similar to 2002 Olympics and 2004 World Cup, he barring injuries, most of the same players will be in Italy. If Crosby is going to the Olympics, he is probably going to watch.

Plus, that will be an insane amount of games for an 18 year old to play during the season.

Solid along with his offensive gifts should get him a role on the team. Dominant would get him a regular shift, or almost, depending on the game. Either way he has to continue to improve at his unprecedented pace. I would not bet against it.

I would bet on Ovechkin playing a significant role for Russia.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Why no one is considering Paul Kariya?
He was one of the better players in the 2002 olympics final and he can use his technique and his size in a superb way with the bigger ice surface. I'd go with him in one of the scoring lines, not with the 13th place in the roster...

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
kidhander said:
Why no one is considering Paul Kariya?
He was one of the better players in the 2002 olympics final and he can use his technique and his size in a superb way with the bigger ice surface. I'd go with him in one of the scoring lines, not with the 13th place in the roster...

Kariya was good at the '02 Olympics, but I don't think there is room for him this time. Too many good, young, skilled, big players like Thornton, Nash, Heatley, Bertuzzi, Lecavalier etc.

Everest

Apr 19, 2005
Paul Dipietro,Stacy Roest,Jamie Heward,Jimmy Waite,Gilbert Dionne....ahh you get the idea...

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
2002 Olympic roster potential turnover:

W) Lemieux: if he's healthy and willing, he'll be back and he'll be captain.

C) Sakic: a lock, assistant.

W) Iginla: a lock. might wear a letter this time.

W) Gagne: a lock. he's clutch.

W) Kariya: ? needs to have a good first half to put horrible 2003-04 behind him. St. Louis seems to have taken over his role as the undersized speedster but even he will have to have a good first half to prove his Art Ross season wasn't a flash in the pan.

W) Smyth: ? can't imagine an international squad without him, but must earn his spot. attitude seems like a good fit for a bench job. could lose his spot to Gretzky-favorite Doan or perhaps Marleau.

C/W) Yzerman: ? invaluable leadership, but too old/hurt perhaps. his stepping down before the World Cup opened a spot for Lecavalier who repaid the favor by scoring a huge OT GWG against the Czechs in the semis. Vinny has had bouts with inconsistency in the past so a good first half would go a long way in making him a lock for Torino.

C) Peca: ? perhaps other checkers have passed him by, didn't make world cup team. some would argue there's no need for a checking centre but every edition of Team Canada has had one. Take your pick of potential replacements: Draper, Primeau, Morrow, McCauley... Personally I like Madden.

W) Nolan: ciao. open a spot for Nash who is a lock.

C) Lindros: ciao. open a spot for Thornton who is a lock.

W) Fleury: ciao. open a spot for Bertuzzi who, having put the ugliness of last season behind him, should be a lock, but of course must regain his form with a good first half after more than a year away from the game.

C/W) Nieuwendyk: ciao. open a spot for Richards who, like Gagne, is becoming another clutch young player Gretzky can depend on. A good first half will make him a lock.

W) Shanahan: ciao. enter Heatley. only a disastrous first half will keep him from being a lock after a so-so world championships.

D) Blake: a lock.

D) Pronger: a lock. will probably wear a letter again.

D) Niedermayer: a lock.

D) Foote: good bet to return, leadership needed to guide young defenders. hopefully hasn't lost a step in the last year since mobility will be key on international ice. right-handed shot and familiarity with Blake gives him added value. solid first half will make him a lock.

D) Jovanovski: good bet to return, but lack of discipline and mental mistakes at times is a slight concern. must have a good start to season with youngsters breathing down his neck to be considered a lock. if he makes it, he must take his game to another level to get top-four minutes.

D) Brewer: might not make the cut this time. was passed over for world cup. will get Lowe's support but must outperform other youngsters with a strong first half. enter Reghr, Redden, or Hannan.

D) MacInnis: ciao. enter a youngster. enter Reghr, Redden, or Hannan.

G) Brodeur. a lock. short tournament, so he will play every game.

G) Luongo very likely will back up Brodeur. will be interesteing to see how smaller equipment (especially pads) affects his game during first half.

G) Belfour: ciao. Theodore not reporting to world championships may have opened the door for company-man Turco.

The Crosby factor: yes, traditionally Canada has brought along its youngsters slowly, due to this country's incredible depth. e.g. Brodeur waited for years under Joseph and Roy's shadow. Niedermayer was passed over time-and-again. Thornton wasn't in Salt Lake despite leading the NHL in scoring. Nash was left off the World Cup team despite his Richard Award-winning 41-goal season.

However if there ever was to be an 18-year-old exception to this trend, it could be Sidney. All will depend on how he handles the first few months of his rookie season. he shows the potential for true greatness, but his style of play leaves him vulnerable to frequent injury, IMO. I could see a scenario develop where by the time February rolls around, his numbers may be outstanding, but he misses the Olympics anyway due to injury and the dilemma of whether or not to chose him never materializes. The 2008 world cup or Vancouver/Whislter 2010 may be a more likely debut.

Last edited:

Ri hards

Jun 21, 2004
As far as the forward lines go...

Heatly-Thornton-Nash
Gagne-Lecavalier-Richards
St Louis-Sakic-Iginla
Smyth-Draper-Doan

It's a pretty good bet that Thornton and Nash will be together. I also think that Richards and Lecavalier played well together during the World Cup.

As for Gagne, he could really play with with any of the top three lines as the left winger, but I think he was dynamite with Lecavalier and Richards.

I'm pretty sure Sakic and Iginla have played together for both the world cup and the Olympics, so I'd bet they'd be together too.

As for the International Grind line....well, 'nuff said.

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
Gagne-Thornton-Nash
Heatly-Lecalvier-Iginla
Bertuzzi-Marleau-Smyth
Maltby-Primeau-Draper
Doan

Pronger-Neidermyer
Blake-Redden
Hannan-Regher
Boynton :yo:

Brodeur
Luango
Raycroft :yo:

Sorry, had to throw my two homer picks in there :yo:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
bruins8152 said:
Gagne-Thornton-Nash
Heatly-Lecalvier-Iginla
Bertuzzi-Marleau-Smyth
Maltby-Primeau-Draper
Doan

Pronger-Neidermyer
Blake-Redden
Hannan-Regher
Boynton :yo:

Brodeur
Luango
Raycroft :yo:

Sorry, had to throw my two homer picks in there :yo:

Nice to see Doan & Draper make the team but Joe Sakic suddendly sucks.

I love the fact that Mark Messier and Steve Yzerman can play until they are like 45 but Joe Sakic who will turn 36 in 2 weeks is all but washed up. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad