Predators could leave nashville?

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
If anything happens i hope they dont move but contract instead. The league needs to get rid of some teams...also nobody would have to look at those hideous uniforms anymore.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Before anyone gets excited, most of this surfaced a while back, and was immediately quashed by all involved. It's all politics, and this talk has been thrown around mostly by hockey-hating journalists in the Tennessean like this Cass character and David Climer as well.

Sorry that you got your hopes up.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
If anything happens i hope they dont move but contract instead. The league needs to get rid of some teams...also nobody would have to look at those hideous uniforms anymore.

Contraction isn't going to happen. There is zero chance and the NHL has never been as well off as they are now. Why would they contract when there is not an unsuccessful team in the league? Where is the team drawing only 8000 fans a game and losing tens of millions a season. IE. the Montreal Expos of hockey? There isn't one and all markets are successful enough to continue in the cities they are in. If politics dictate a team may move (ie Islanders, Pitts moving over arena issues) but they aren't moving due to a lack of fans but due to a lack of an arena. And there are several possible markets to move a team to that will almost surely meet success like Houston, Seattle, Portland, Kansas City and even Quebec City or Winnipeg. There is absolutely no way that the NHL contracts. And accoridng to the majority of fans the NHL has not been as fun to watch in years and years. There is no talent problem in the NHL, there is plenty of talent. To me the 4th line and bottom D pairing on every team now seems a lot more talented then they were in the 1980's when there were 21 teams.

Contraction ain't gonna happen so give up on it.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Let me add something...

The Predators COULD pull up and move...to spite the city...but it's unlikely, considering how much it would cost Leipold in the long-run\the other semi-related damage it would do. It's posturing as much as anything, given the fact that Leipold is finally seeing a break in the clouds, with the team making more money this year than in any year since inception, with average attendance up over 1000 per game from 04\05 and continued on-ice improvement\chance of a deep playoff run growing.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
interesting.

with five or six groups rumoured to be pursuing the penguins at a purchase price of $ 150 million, bidding could conceivably get up to $ 175 million. presuming pittsburgh builds a new arena and the team is sold to interests keeping the team there, these groups will turn their attention elsewhere.

if a group offers leopold $ 175 million with the intention to move to KC, Houston, etc., even with the $ 28 million buy out, he'd still get about $ 150 million. the question is would he cut and run ?

i don't know the nashville market enough to offer a valid opinion, but if it's true the team didn't sell out their playoff games, it might cause some second thoughts from leopold's perspective for keeping the franchise.

if pittsburgh does keep the pens, i can possibly see the preds becoming a target for these groups.

it's a great young team with alot of value in my opinion.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This isn't really new news. This has been around for a while. They're not going anywhere, Bettman won't let it happen

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
cup2006sensrule said:
Contraction isn't going to happen. There is zero chance and the NHL has never been as well off as they are now. Why would they contract when there is not an unsuccessful team in the league? Where is the team drawing only 8000 fans a game and losing tens of millions a season. IE. the Montreal Expos of hockey? There isn't one and all markets are successful enough to continue in the cities they are in. If politics dictate a team may move (ie Islanders, Pitts moving over arena issues) but they aren't moving due to a lack of fans but due to a lack of an arena. And there are several possible markets to move a team to that will almost surely meet success like Houston, Seattle, Portland, Kansas City and even Quebec City or Winnipeg. There is absolutely no way that the NHL contracts. And accoridng to the majority of fans the NHL has not been as fun to watch in years and years. There is no talent problem in the NHL, there is plenty of talent. To me the 4th line and bottom D pairing on every team now seems a lot more talented then they were in the 1980's when there were 21 teams.

Contraction ain't gonna happen so give up on it.

If you think that talent is good on the fourth line just ask boston,chicago,st.louis,columbus, Toronto, pittsburgh, washington fans how it is do you watch ever game in the league or just watch sens games, and see the ood western conference game? You cant tell me that talent is good enough. You dont think that any of the teams above would love to have some of nashville's players (ie Kariya, sullivan, zidlicky,vokoun) to name a few. I dont know why you think that there is enought talent because there isnt the NHL is trying to blind fold you (and doing a fine job) my friend with all the extra penalties. On CBC's hockey night in Canada they said 12000 penalties were handed out in the 2003-2004 season 18000 this year that is 1/3 more does that seem like there is a lot of talent? because if there was then teams should be able to play 5 on 5 not the whole game on the power play or penalty kill contraction is needed buddy

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
If you think that talent is good on the fourth line just ask boston,chicago,st.louis,columbus, Toronto, pittsburgh, washington fans how it is do you watch ever game in the league or just watch sens games, and see the ood western conference game? You cant tell me that talent is good enough. You dont think that any of the teams above would love to have some of nashville's players (ie Kariya, sullivan, zidlicky,vokoun) to name a few. I dont know why you think that there is enought talent because there isnt the NHL is trying to blind fold you (and doing a fine job) my friend with all the extra penalties. On CBC's hockey night in Canada they said 12000 penalties were handed out in the 2003-2004 season 18000 this year that is 1/3 more does that seem like there is a lot of talent? because if there was then teams should be able to play 5 on 5 not the whole game on the power play or penalty kick contraction is needed buddy

I don't know, but I was happy with our fourth line. Sounds like inept management on the part of the teams who don't have good fourth lines :dunno:

Maybe you can find another league to follow, rather than hoping for things that will never happen?

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
nomorekids said:
I don't know, but I was happy with our fourth line. Sounds like inept management on the part of the teams who don't have good fourth lines :dunno:

Maybe you can find another league to follow, rather than hoping for things that will never happen?

of course you are because you had a good team but when you had a poor team were you happy?...i dont think so

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
of course you are because you had a good team but when you had a poor team were you happy?...i dont think so

but that's the ebb and flow of the league. by and large, the guys that are in the league..when everyone is healthy...are there. if a team has problems filling out their fourth line...they need to look at their drafting\farm system. the good teams had good fourth lines...but that's part of what made them good teams. you can't have four lines of superstars. it would take all the fun\mystery out of the game. there'd be no strategy.

Mr BLUEandWHITE

Nov 14, 2005
Toronto
nomorekids said:
but that's the ebb and flow of the league. by and large, the guys that are in the league..when everyone is healthy...are there. if a team has problems filling out their fourth line...they need to look at their drafting\farm system. the good teams had good fourth lines...but that's part of what made them good teams. you can't have four lines of superstars. it would take all the fun\mystery out of the game. there'd be no strategy.

so what would be a better league

200 good players on 30 teams 6.667 players per team

or

200 good players on 26 teams 7.697 players per team

its just above 1 player per team but one player can make a big difference for a team winning the cup or losing to buffalo in 5 games or losing to san jose in 5 games just ask ottawa and nashville.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
with all due respect, nashville's loss to san jose had little to do with their fourth liners...and more to do with the fact that vokoun was out and sullivan, walker, timonen and legwand were all playing with injuries they inventually got surgery for after the series was over.

RCGP

Go Panthers
Jul 3, 2002
Calgary Alberta
Visit site
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:

Good idea, lets contract the Leafs first.

If you aren't willing to contract your own team for the good of the league, then don't bring it up.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Mr BLUEandWHITE said:
If you think that talent is good on the fourth line just ask boston,chicago,st.louis,columbus, Toronto, pittsburgh, washington fans how it is do you watch ever game in the league or just watch sens games, and see the ood western conference game? You cant tell me that talent is good enough. You dont think that any of the teams above would love to have some of nashville's players (ie Kariya, sullivan, zidlicky,vokoun) to name a few. I dont know why you think that there is enought talent because there isnt the NHL is trying to blind fold you (and doing a fine job) my friend with all the extra penalties. On CBC's hockey night in Canada they said 12000 penalties were handed out in the 2003-2004 season 18000 this year that is 1/3 more does that seem like there is a lot of talent? because if there was then teams should be able to play 5 on 5 not the whole game on the power play or penalty kill contraction is needed buddy

Was Toronto's fourth line more talented this year than Toronto's fourth line in 1990, 1985, 1980, 1975? I think you know the answer.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
RCGP said:
Good idea, lets contract the Leafs first.

If you aren't willing to contract your own team for the good of the league, then don't bring it up.

Could NOT have said it better- all those clamoring for contraction- as long as it's another team it is fine and dandy- but of course not MY team. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

A Good Flying Bird*

PortlandRanger said:
And would put a few more nails in the NHL's Coffin.

Really? I thought the salary cap was supposed to fix things and make Canadian small markets more viable?
I personally would love to see a few of the southern American teams move up North to a country where more people watch hockey than college women's softball or spelling bees

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
TinCanCommunications said:
Really? I thought the salary cap was supposed to fix things and make Canadian small markets more viable?
I personally would love to see a few of the southern American teams move up North to a country where more people watch hockey than college women's softball or spelling bees

For a quick fix sure, long term it will just be one less team for more americans to forget that the league exists. Say what you want about hockey's strength in canadian markets that are mostly one horse towns, but if the NHL wants to make money, it's in the US. The ratings are great in canada right? Obviously they aren't making money in canada from the media that's why they want a big tv deal in the US. When you people want more teams in Canada be prepared for the NHL to enter "CFL hell" because in this day in age of information at our fingertips one can no longer say "ignorance is bliss."

Just by listening to a few Canadian Radio station streams I hear them complaining about the ratings in the US and how they can sell the game here. If the NHL moves teams back to Canada they will just be proving how much of a failure they are in the US, and that will even hurt the traditional markets, who are already having troubles in their own media markets, since their media will be able to justify why they wont talk hockey.

"Who cares about hockey? look team so and so left, no one even knows they are gone"

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
nomorekids said:
Let me add something...

The Predators COULD pull up and move...to spite the city...but it's unlikely, considering how much it would cost Leipold in the long-run\the other semi-related damage it would do. It's posturing as much as anything, given the fact that Leipold is finally seeing a break in the clouds, with the team making more money this year than in any year since inception, with average attendance up over 1000 per game from 04\05 and continued on-ice improvement\chance of a deep playoff run growing.
Also, wouldn't the NHL step in and veto any plan to move the Predators since Bettman and co have made a vested interest in keeping every franchise put for the new few years at the least?

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
TinCanCommunications said:

The CBA wasn't just for Edmonton.

Columbus, Nashville, Pittsburgh (ironically the same teams that keep coming up in these discussions) all hail from smaller markets and have some of the best turnarounds on their hockey ops and finances.

This discussion bores me. Can't we debate Ovechkin and Crosby more?

Whalerfan11

Feb 28, 2006
futurcorerock said:
Also, wouldn't the NHL step in and veto any plan to move the Predators since Bettman and co have made a vested interest in keeping every franchise put for the new few years at the least?

I just watched some old footage of Bettman speaking in Hartford back in 1996 (I work at ESPN and had some free time). It was then he said that the Whalers had no plans to speak with other cities and the league wants to Whalers to stay. You all know what happened next...so don't think Bettman is this all-powering man. He doesn't have much say in whether or not a team moves. Either that or he is a double-talker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->