Predators award nominations

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Maybe Laviolette gets a Jack Adams nomination just because of coaching the President's winning team. But whoever gets that 3rd spot is easily behind Gallant and Bednar.

The Devils coach will get the other spot. They were last in the Metro and made the playoffs.

Of course we improved by 23 points over last season, but our post season run makes this less obvious to most

Reactions: Legionnaire11

ViperXX79

Aug 10, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Good for Subban and Rinne,

but our best defenseman for each quarter of the season;
games 1-20 Ekholm
games 21-40 Subban
games 41-60 Josi
games 61-82 Ellis

Not sure I buy this. Ek had two more points than Subban during games 1-20. Josi and Subban had the same number of points during 41-60 where most of Josi's production came in the last 5 or so of those games. Ellis obviously got very hot when he came back. I would imagine fresh legs with Ellis' talent level benefited him a ton during this time where others were wearing down. All of this with Subban carrying Emelin and starting in mostly defensive situations. Incredible season from Subban and I wish we wouldn't diminish how great it actually iss.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Not sure I buy this. Ek had two more points than Subban during games 1-20. Josi and Subban had the same number of points during 41-60 where most of Josi's production came in the last 5 or so of those games. Ellis obviously got very hot when he came back. I would imagine fresh legs with Ellis' talent level benefited him a ton during this time where others were wearing down. All of this with Subban carrying Emelin and starting in mostly defensive situations. Incredible season from Subban and I wish we wouldn't diminish how great it actually iss.
I don't think points is really the focal point of the discussion.

Reactions: torero

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
It is always endlessly fascinating to me that Subban seems to be more underrated by his own fans, while having the outside reputation of being completely overrated.

Just my 2 cents, but he completely deserved his nomination- and it is not just about points. You have to dig deeper and go below the surface stuff to see just how good he is, and has been.

Came across this from Greg Wyshynski- ESPN-
”P.K. Subban's nomination for the Norris Trophy is an important one, at least for me as a Professional Hockey Writers Association voter, because it appears that my peers have done some heavy lifting to get there rather than relying on the lazy metrics.
He was eighth in points. He was 21st in time on ice, playing less than Roman Josi for the Nashville Predators. And Josi, frankly, was the glamor pick for best defenseman on the team for most of the season. To arrive at Subban as a Norris Trophy possibility is to dig deeper in the context of his season. Like seeing his 33 even-strength points within the context of having only 42.5 percent of his shifts starting in the offensive zone. Like understanding his impact as a shutdown defender. Like watching the sparks come off the ice as he drags around Alexei Emelin like the anchor that he was.
So this is refreshing.”

I think this sums it up fairly well. You can argue he has the hardest job and most responsibility of any of our top 4- is consistently put in the toughest positions.

So again, not to get off on a tangent here, I think the nomination is well deserved- he has had a great season. And I mentioned this previously, but he and Ekholm have have been very good the past 3 games after a rough, rough game 1.

pkshowban

The Montreal Predator family
Feb 12, 2017
The last 20 games of the season cost him the Norris

Just to see Subban top 3 Norris this season, it s a big middle finger to all the haters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad