Pre-WJC Top 120 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-SHARKIE

rt said:
X-Sharkie, it seems like you have Radek Smolenak very low. I've seen him alot higher elsewhere. What is it that you don't like about his game? Keep in mind that I've never seen him before, so it's not like I'm disagreeing with you. :)

He looks like he's always about to fall when I watch him and hes' knocked off the puck pretty easily, but you can't deny his impressive hands and making things happen offensively. He also works hard from what I see.

Simon Bolduc you hit him on the dot La-La-Laprise. He's a fun guy to watch and could devolope into a very good third line force IMO. I've seen him once and his hands and scoring ability didn't stick out it was his size, skating and the hits he was throwing, the guy was working extremely hard and was scaring the opposition.
He could open up a lot of ice for your skilled players!

I hope the SHarks take Gogulla and I hope they take Gawlick, Mueller would be nice to! i'm surprised the Sharks didn't take Markus Kink last year, I really like him alot. He's right up there with Hospelt if you ask me. If Gawlick enters the draft, the Sharks well likely grab him in the 2nd round, They have a history of taking a chance on a guy they seen alot but didnt play much or well in his draft year...Like Dan Spang in 02.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
I hope the SHarks take Gogulla and I hope they take Gawlick, Mueller would be nice to! i'm surprised the Sharks didn't take Markus Kink last year, I really like him alot. He's right up there with Hospelt if you ask me. If Gawlick enters the draft, the Sharks well likely grab him in the 2nd round, They have a history of taking a chance on a guy they seen alot but didnt play much or well in his draft year...Like Dan Spang in 02.

as a german, i sure will love to see some more germans to be picked by san jose, because it's the only team that cares about them. gogulla and mueller would be fine, because i see some potential. not sure about gawlik. he may succeed elsewhere as well. and i wouldn't pick him before the 5th round or so. he's a gamble. worth the pick, but not too early.

i hope a team will pick fabio carciola as an overager in the 9th. he's a hometown boy and playing really good so far. he's worth the risk for sure. so please tell your sharks to pick him. :)

X-SHARKIE

zecke26 said:
as a german, i sure will love to see some more germans to be picked by san jose, because it's the only team that cares about them. gogulla and mueller would be fine, because i see some potential. not sure about gawlik. he may succeed elsewhere as well. and i wouldn't pick him before the 5th round or so. he's a gamble. worth the pick, but not too early.

i hope a team will pick fabio carciola as an overager in the 9th. he's a hometown boy and playing really good so far. he's worth the risk for sure. so please tell your sharks to pick him. :)

Sharks love forwards who can skate and Gogulla sure can, and Gawlick is one of the best, so I would expect the Sharks to chase both players on draft day.
How old is Carciola? Sharks well take a 19 year old kid late in the draft some times but if we dont' have room for a 20-22 year old with guys like Michalek, Kaspar, Bernier, Hennessy budging for play time in the AHL/NHL

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
How old is Carciola? Sharks well take a 19 year old kid late in the draft some times but if we dont' have room for a 20-22 year old with guys like Michalek, Kaspar, Bernier, Hennessy budging for play time in the AHL/NHL

he's going to become 20 next august. he has 9 points (3 goals) in 26 games which is not bad. maybe you can follow him at the WJC a bit where he's one of the best germans.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
I'm having a friend tape me the game of theres vs Canada...I'll get back to you on him.

great, i hope you'll like him. i know he's well accepted in mannheim and i was impressed when i saw him a few weeks back. he brought much energy to the kid-line with ullmann and whoever was the third one. :)

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Leafaholix said:
There's atleast 6 notable surnames there.

Fritsche
Stastny
Staal
Ryder
Kostitsyn
Sigalet

Any other relatives of current prospects or NHL'ers around?

Isn't Mikko Lehtonen related to Kari Lehtonen?

X-SHARKIE

rt said:
No Hagemo? Where in the draft would you expect him to go, then?

I just saw him last night vs Russia. He was actually impressive in his limited ice time...Russians had the Americans running around and he made a very smart decision to play the puck to his man instead of trying to get it out on his back hand.

Looks to be a smart defenseman who lacks the physical tools to become anything more then a 5th defenseman. But I would like to see more of him.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I just saw him last night vs Russia. He was actually impressive in his limited ice time...Russians had the Americans running around and he made a very smart decision to play the puck to his man instead of trying to get it out on his back hand.

Looks to be a smart defenseman who lacks the physical tools to become anything more then a 5th defenseman. But I would like to see more of him.

Limited ice time? He played a regular shift on defense. Is that irregular? :dunno:

Hagemo has played very well this year at Minnesota. Especially for a kid who accelerated and would only be a high school senior under normal circumstances. He has been the most impressive freshman I have seen on defense in terms of defensive play, speed and aggressiveness. That kid can flat out skate.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Battleship said:
Thanks for doing that. One name I didn't see is Joe Barnes from Saskatoon. I'm pretty sure he'll go in the top 120.

What position does Zubov play?

Zubov is a center I believe.

Also, who is this Crosby guy and why don't you have any comments about him ;)

Any idea why Belov is not rated higher in your Top 120? He is rated by Russian prospects higher than Anikeenko?

X-SHARKIE

PuckFan01 said:
Limited ice time? He played a regular shift on defense. Is that irregular? :dunno:

Hagemo has played very well this year at Minnesota. Especially for a kid who accelerated and would only be a high school senior under normal circumstances. He has been the most impressive freshman I have seen on defense in terms of defensive play, speed and aggressiveness. That kid can flat out skate.

He looked a bit small out there, like I said I want to see more of him before I jump on the bandwagon. I saw him play vs Wisconsin and he didn't stick out but in his defense I was keeping a close eye on Chucko and Goligoski who at the time was being hyped as the steal of the draft. So I guess I have overlooked Hagemo. I'll watch him tonight!

EDIT: I popped in my tape of USA vs Russia and watched for Hagemo more closely. He was impressive! he was on the ice more then I thought. He's not a flashy player, but he makes very mature decisions. I never saw him turn over the puck or make a risky play in the offensive zone that cost them. Early in the game he looked a tad overwhelmed (every defenseman did though) he really settled in his groove though. I love his battle instincts though, he has a nack for really competing hard and playing tough physical game. He's not a punishing player but he really plays his man well.
I like what I see so far of Hagemo. My ranking was Pre-WJC so once the WJC's is done I would have to say Hagemo well likely rise no question. I still don't know if he'll be a drafted untill the third round though because how good this draft is.

Last edited:

X-SHARKIE

PuckFan01 said:

You're completely correct on Hagemo bud. The more I watch him the more I love him! This guy is one smart player, I love his battle instincts and how competitive he is. He doesn't get beat one on one! He jumps in the play at the correct times and makes things happen. What impresses me most aside from how smart he is though, is his transition game. He one amazing passer. He passes so hard and so crisp. I haven't seen him flat out skate with the puck so it's hard to get a grasp on his speed you're talking about.

But his defensive awareness, his one on one play, his amazing transition game and calm collective head makes him a very impressive player.

He'll defnitley be on my top 120 if he continues this.

The only thing really is the size.

A Good Flying Bird*

X-SHARKIE said:
Here is my top 120 eligible players for 2005 with my comments on the top 30.
Let the debating begin.

1. F Sidney Crosby QMJHL 5-10 185
2. D Jack Johnson USNTDP 6-1 200
Most complete defenseman prospect. Right up there with Phaneuf and Suter.
3. F Gilbert Brule WHL 5-11 190
Extremely skilled, best shot in the draft? very feisty, still the 2nd best forward in the draft.
4. F Benoit Pouliot OHL 6-2 200
Tall, Lanky, Amazing skating ability and hands. NHL teams drool over players like him.
5. D Jakub Kindl OHL 6-3 200
Just as talented if not more then Johnson, doesn't have the edge you want and hasn't dominated like he could. Still could devolope into a #1 defenseman
6 . F Ryan O'Marra OHL 6-3 190
Big hardworking physical winger with great shot. Just below the top 2 forward in potential, Should be a 1st line winger with scoring ability and a physical game. Could be wearing a C or an A with his work ethic and heart when he's older. Has an edge to his game not many forwards have, plus he has the size!
7. F Bobby Ryan OHL 6-3 215
Big sniper, elite finishing tools, also an impressive playmaker, amazing in traffic, works hard, skating is improving but it needs more. Dominating the OHL at 17!
8. F Alex Bourret QMJHL 6-0 210
Tank like build, hits punish like a tank to, won me over at the Re-max games, he also has incredible skills and not many can skate like he can. Can make a play on his own and can finish one to.
9. F Marek Zagrapan QMJHL 6-1 180 , poor mans Marian Gaborik, much like Kindl would like to see some urgency, amazing moves, excellent skater, does it all offensively and helps out on defense. Has top 10 skill. WJC's should be his breakout.
10. G J.P. Levasseur QMJHL 6-2 190
Best goalie in the draft at the moment, numbers are down but he has the best raw tools of any goaltender and doesn't get rattled. Haven't seen enough of him to put him as high as redline but he has everything you could want but the numbers.
11. F Jack Skille USA 6-1 200
One of my favorites, elite shooting skills, excellent drive and foot work, extremely smart, extremely strong on his skates, very good hands, all around forward just needs more publicity, dominated NCAA games this year!
12. G Tukka Rask FIN 6-1 170
Young goalie who well start for the Fins, not having the year I expected, WJC's well tell the tale, Dominated the Four Nations, incredible reflexes, I can't waite to see him at the WJC's.
13. F Chris Durrand WHL 6-1 185
Underated player, amazing offensive skills, extremely poised, excellent playmaker who handles the physical game very well.
14. F Daniel Bertram NCAA 5-11 180
Amazing speed, one of the best skaters in the draft, a bit undersized but it doesn't faze him, also has snipers instincts. Numbers aren't the best because he plays on a deep team.
15. D Teemu Laakso FIN 6-0 180
Should excell at the WJC's with loads of ice time, breaking out this year, does everything a pro defenseman needs to. Great with the puck in his hand.
16. F Niklas Berfgors SWE 6-0 195
Hard working, stock player who skates and handles the puck very well. SHoudl rise with WJC's showing.
17. D Matt Lashoff OHL 6-2 200
Injurey might cost him, loved him last year and his numbers are good so far, can't waite to see more of him. Very good two way player who could see his stock soar after his draft much like Phaneufs did.
18. F Devin Setoguchi WHL 6-0 180
Very fast player who explodes, the puck also explodes off of his stick. Has a good physical dimension to his game.
19. D Brian Lee USHS 6-2 190
Played very good in the exhibiton game I saw on webcast, Selection over Johnson intrigues me, Extremely poised, big! great skater, could be a rock of a defenseman
20. F Ryan Stoa USA 6-3 200
Huge, one of the best skaters i've seen for his size, looks great at this age vs NCAA competition, amazing shot, hands, patience. It's to bad he's in the USNTDP and I dont get to see much of him. Look forward to seeing him next year in Minnesota.
21. G Carey Price WHL 6-3 210
Big talented goaltender who is shining in the Dub this year, likely should be higher but I haven't seen him.
22. D Luc Bourdon QMJHL 6-2 195
Extremely impressive defenseman, hits like a train, has a mean streak, makes great decisions, never hurts his team, also brings offensive game. Complete package who just lacks elite skills. Very poised.
23. F Guillaume Latendresse QMJHL 6-2 215
Talent, size it's all there, except for heart and possibly hockey sense. I don't like him, but you can't deny what he has done in the past and on some nights.
24. D Risto Korhonen FIN 6-3 200
Big, physical, defensive player, who moves the puck out of the zone effectively.
25. D Marc Staal OHL 6-4 190
Great size with excellent and smoot skating ability, makes mature decisions out of his zone, and positioning is really coming around. Big upside. Lacks physical edge.
26. D Ryan Parent OHL 6-2 200
Not many players are better in there own zone, and plays pissed off every night, invisible in the offensive zone though. Could surprise though and devolope into a Scott Hannan.
27 G Alexander Vincent QMJHL 6-3 190
Classic Q goaltender with excellent size, lacks consistancy but shows tools to be #1 goaltender. Deep draft with 3 great prospects ahead of him well make him fall to mid 20's.
28 F Michael Blunden OHL 6-3 210
Much like O'Marra, Blunden is carrying the Erie Otters, huge powerforward who moves very well for his size, plays a physical game and has some playmaking ability but his finishing skills are what sets him apart. Could be a good 2nd line powerforward. Big upside.
29. F Andrew Cogliano OPRJA 5-10 170 Amazing skater who does everything at top speed, very good playmaker and finisher. Can be easily pushed around but has elite tools that can't be coached.
30. F Anze Kopitar EUR 6-3 200
A wildcard that I want my team to take a chance on. Huge forward who is a solid skater, shows alot of heart and is clutch, excellent finishing skills and has the ability to raise his game. Still very raw but could be the next Jason Allison from what I hear.
31. F Ilya Zubov RUS 6-1 180
32 F Patrick Davis OHL 6-2 195
33 D J.P. Paquet QMJHL 6-2 200
34 F Vladimir Sobotka CZE 5-10 185
35 D Brendan Mikkelson WHL 6-2 190
36 F Mikko Lehtonen FIN 6-3 200
37 F T.J. Hensick NCAA 5-9 180
38. F Martin Hanzal CZE 6-3 200
39. D Scott Jackson WHL 6-4 200
40. F Kendal McArdle WHL 5-11 190
41. F Slava Trukhno QMJHL 6-1 185
42. F Denis Istomin RUS 5-10 190
43. D Taylor Chourney SHA 5-11 185
44. D Vitaly Anikeenko RUS 6-3 200
45. F Nick Drazenovic WHL 6-0 190
46. D Andrei Zubarev RUS 6-1 180
47. D Patrick McNeil OHL 6-1 180
48. D Vyacheslav Buravchikov RUS 6-0 185
49. F Peter MacArthur NCAA 5-11 180
50. D Tomas Kudelka CZE 6-1 180
51. F Gennady Churilov QMJHL 6-1 180
52. F Jordan Lavalle QMJHL 6-3 210
53. F Dan Collins OHL 6-2 200
54. F Mathieu Roy QMJHL 6-0 190
55. F Jason Bailey USA 6-2 200
56. F Cody Bass OHL 6-0 190
57. F Daniel Ryder OHL 5-11 185
58. D Michael Sauer WHL 6-2 190
59. F Brock Bradford USHL 5-10 170
60. F Sergei Kostitsyn BEL 5-10 170
61. F Blair Jones WHL 6-2 190
62. F Tom Fritsche USA 5-11 185
63. D Oscars Bartulis QMJHL 6-1 180
64. D Mike Stuart USA 6-5 220
65. F Morten Madsen SWE 6-1 180
66. F Frederik Petterson SWE 5-9 170
67. F Chris Lawrence OHL 6-4 190
68. D Keith Yandle CA 6-2 190
69. D Dustin Kohn WHL 6-0 195
70. F Anton Skorykh RUS 6-4 200
71. F Cody Bass OHL 6-0 190
72. F Wacey Rabbit WHL 5-10 170
73. D Juho Mielonen FIN 6-2 185
74. D Ray Macias WHL 6-2 190
75. D Andrew Andricopoulos QMJHL 6-1 185
76. D Anton Belov RUS 6-3 190
77. F Steve Downie OHL 5-10 190
78. G Ondrej Pavelec CZE 5-11 175
79. D Matt Kiskanen USHS 6-2 190
80. D Evan Brophey OHL 6-1 190
81. F Philip Gogulla GER 6-2 190
82. F Egor Zharkov RUS/QMJHL 6-3 190
83. F Sebastian Karlsson SWE 6-0 185
84. F Alexander Bumagin RUS 6-0 170
85.D Alexander Ribberstand SWE 5-11 190
86. F Anton Krysanov RUS 6-3 190
87. D Johnathan Sigalet CA 6-1 190
88. F Marek Bartanus SLV 6-3 200
89. D Ryan Wilson OHL 6-0 200
90. D Jakub Vojta CZE 6-0 180
91. F Nathan Gerbe USNTDP 5-6 190
92. F Christoph Gawlick GER 5-11 180
93. D Dimitri Megalinsky RUS 6-2 220
94. F Mathieu Aubin QMJHL 6-1 180
95. F Jason Lawrence USNTDP 5-10 185
96. D Mathieu Labrie QMJHL 6-1 200
97. F Sergei Shirkov RUS 6-0 180
98. G Jeff Frazee USA 6-0 180
99. F Radel Smolenak OHL 6-2 190
100. D Mortiz Muller GER 6-1 190
101. F Justin Saulnier QMJHL 5-10 180
102. G Joe Fallon NCAA 6-3 190
103. F Tom Gorosky USHL 6-1 195
104. D Brett Motherwell USHL 5-11 185
105. F Matt D'Agostini OHL 6-0 190
106. G Ryan Mior QMJHL 6-1 190
107. D Steve Birnstill NCAA 6-1 190
108. F Paul Stastny NCAA 6-0 185
109. F Stanislav Lascek QMJHL 6-0 185
110. F Francois Bolduc QMJHL 6-3 210
111. D Devereaux Heshmatpour OHL 6-6 235
112. F Riley Merkley WHL 6-2 190
113. D Matt Pelech OHL 6-3 220
114. F Adam Hobson WHL 6-0 190
115. F Colton Yellowhorn WHL 5-7 175
116. F Mike Testwuide USHL 6-3 210
117. D Alexandre Picard-Hooper QMJHL 5-10 170
118. D Chad Denny QMJHL 6-2 215
119. D Mike Gauthier WHL 6-4 205
120. D Phil Oreskovich OHL 6-3 225

Great list.
One swede who should be up their is a defenseman name Hjalmarsson. He was easily their top d man at 4 nations, much better than Ribbenstrand.

Frederik Petterson is another talented kid who was super dangerous on just about every shift, even though the hard hitting Americans tried to pound the hell out of the 5'9 kid.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I think that having Bartulis that high is a bit of a mistake. He will, most likely, go in the late third, early fourth area. His physicality is a major concern, and his offensive game really isn't all that spectacular right now to overcome that. I like how he plays, and he's the #2 guy in Moncton, but I just don't see him going all that highly, unless somebody gets excited by his WJC Div II numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->