Pre-game thread: Team FINLAND - Team CANADA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehcszteiN

May 7, 2004
Raisio, Finland
To achieve something significant. To go down in hockey history. To be remembered.

We - the Finnish - do not get chances like this every day.

To win Team Canada - IN TORONTO !! IN THE WORLD CUP FINAL !! - would be something unthinkable. We would definately be remembered.

Anyhoo.. We. Are. Ready.

Game on.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
World Cup Final: Canada 4 Finland 1

As I am on record as having predicted last month, before the tourney began. :win:

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
I tell ya, if Canada loses, I am not going to mind losing to the great Finnish hockey fans.

Hockey is #1 in Finland and the fans would deserve a champ.

That being said.. go Canada. ;)

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
MrMastodonFarm said:
I tell ya, if Canada loses, I am not going to mind losing to the great Finnish hockey fans.

Hockey is #1 in Finland and the fans would deserve a champ.

That being said.. go Canada. ;)
Me too. If Canada is going to lose, Finland would be the one team or country where I wouldn't mind.

High flyin' Habs*

I wouldnt be heart broken too if we lose to the Finns especialy against Saku!!

High flyin' Habs*

Mats Sundin 13 said:
so will Bredour be back by tuesday?

I sure hope so because Luongo's performence wasn't to convincing.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
smoothskater said:
Sorry but Finland has no chance. :)
Don't be an idiot. Their is a reason Finland is here. Some people thought they didn't have a chance against the Swedes or the Americans as well.

This Finland team deserves alot of credit, give it to them.

High flyin' Habs*

MrMastodonFarm said:
Don't be an idiot. Their is a reason Finland is here. Some people thought they didn't have a chance against the Swedes or the Americans as well.

This Finland team deserves alot of credit, give it to them.

Believe me that I knew all along that Finland will meet with Canada in the final. I give them tonns of credit but you have to admit that Canada has a to much power and skill for the Finns.

ehcszteiN

May 7, 2004
Raisio, Finland
smoothskater said:
Believe me that I knew all along that Finland will meet with Canada in the final. I give them tonns of credit but you have to admit that Canada has a to much power and skill for the Finns.

If it so happens that the pesky little Finns win - I´LL BE QUOTING YOU !!

GO FINLAND GO !!!

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
smoothskater said:
Believe me that I knew all along that Finland will meet with Canada in the final.
Wa...? Before the tourney I scoured the net trying to find non-Finns who thought Finland would be in the final, and found nobody who thought they would go all that way only to lose in the end.

Except me. ;)

Here's evidence of my pre-tourney prediction, Canada wins 4-1 over Finland in the Final, along with extended reasoning as to why.

Just scroll down to the 6th post, dated August 30th:
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=20750&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Smoothskater, okay, I admit you might be one of the very small minority who thought likewise. But it's hard to believe because, of over 75,000 who voted in the nhl.com poll before the tourney, under 2% chose Finland to go all the way, and I suspect that most of those were Finns.

Slovakia was the overhyped "longshot" pick; the Swedes and Americans were given a lot of credit for aged star forwards despite the lack of goaltending, I mean, obvious lack. Russia was considered talented but unorganized, yet suddenly received a bandwagon of supporters after the first few games of the tourney, as did Finland after a great start.

The Finns are NOT lucky to be in the final, NO luckier than Canada (and arguably less so). Finland played their game, and did it well. They deserve to be there. Having enough role players is more important than assembling an all-star team, as Canada learned in putting together this year's team.

Last edited:

Nielson81

Feb 28, 2002
www.hockeysfutureradio.com
VanIslander said:
Wa...? Before the tourney I scoured the net trying to find non-Finns who thought Finland would be in the final, and found nobody who thought they would go all that way only to lose in the end.

Except me. ;)

Hey Man,

I also predicted the Finns in the final.

In fact I had a final standings of

1.Canada
2.Finland
3.Czech

It helps because I'm a huge Koivu/Ruutu fan and I just had a feeling with Kipper playing the way he did in the playoffs and the leadership of Koivu that the Finns would make it.

Unbiased Canadian

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I am at least glad Summanen listened when Yurzinov preached. Because Aravirta sure didn't.

Wonder if we'll see Maltby and Nieminen go in for some of the rough stuff :D

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Finland is a good team, but tonight was the championship game. Finland beat the Czechs earlier, but the Czech Republic was a totally different team when they played the finns, seeing how they lost to sweden as well but destroyed them a week later. Tonight, the Czechs played an awesome game and thoroughly outplayed Canada. I just don't see the Finns being able to outplay the Canadians.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
Unbiased Canadian said:
Hey Man,

I also predicted the Finns in the final.

In fact I had a final standings of

1.Canada
2.Finland
3.Czech

Unbiased Canadian
Did you post your prediction anywhere?

And how unbiased a Canadian are you to reason from being a Koivu/Ruutu fan to choosing them to be in the final? ;) Biased Canadiens fan you !

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Dark Metamorphosis said:
Finland is a good team, but tonight was the championship game. Finland beat the Czechs earlier, but the Czech Republic was a totally different team when they played the finns, seeing how they lost to sweden as well but destroyed them a week later. Tonight, the Czechs played an awesome game and thoroughly outplayed Canada. I just don't see the Finns being able to outplay the Canadians.
Summanen makes pretty decent on-the-fly changes and I wouldn't be surprised to see him deploy three shut-down lines. If Finland is to win this, it is not going to be by outplaying, but outhustling them. And with the energy guys team Finland has... It wouldn't be the biggest long shot in the world.

Finland is a great team, with good players. Canada is a good team with great players. We'll see what matters more.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
VanIslander said:
Ah, I picked Canada - Finland final. Right on this very messageboard, in the polls board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->