Pre Game / Post Game activities

2x4*

Some questions...

What do you eat before games, how long do you stretch.

What do you do after games?

I played for the 1st time in 3 years a competetive game, and I can hardly move my left leg off the ground, I think I pulled something :yo:

Anyway, I felt sick after about 40 minutes, but I ate quite a large dinner. Burgers, Chicken, Salad, etc. Not a great meal before a game.

2x4*

Well yes, I ate before the game, but there are certain things one shouldnt eat before a game :-P

Granted we played 4 on 4 (roller hockey) with no changes, so it was constant playing. In the actual league games we will have changes and periods ;)

I am thinking a light meal before the game, maybe some carbs like spaghetti with light sauce or something like that.

Is there anything good to drink before?

Do those gatorade and powerades acualy do anything?
I also have "Vitamin Water" which says it does a bunch of things.
Id be looking for more of a scientific answer on this one.

Puckboy

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Like you said you had not played in about 3 years so I am sure you used muscles that have not been worked like that in three years.

I do drink a lot of liquids before and while I skate. From what I have read that does help the muscles. I started doing this in the past year and it gives you a good sweet and seems to help recovery time of the muscles in between shifts. As I have gotten older I have learned that stretching is very important. I usually start to stretch my legs a home for a while then just before I go on the ice. That has help a lot over the past couple of years.

Hope this helps more. I am no Doctor nor do I claim to be an expert, just stating what works for me.

aerialis

Oct 7, 2005
toronto & pittsburgh
not an expert, but to my knowledge gatorade is good a few hours before a game to give you some electrolytes, and then again after the game to replace the electrolytes you lost during the game.

during, lots of water is probably best with a snack at intermissions (orange slices, bananas, whatever). the water should help with your soreness, so just have tons of it and make sure the bottle's full

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
My pre-skate varies depending on game time. Usually it's something to eat followed my a short nap. When I wake up, have a small cup of coffee to help me wake up. When it's time to leave I grab some water for the ride, load my gear up and head to the rink. I always drink a RedBull while I get dressed. It helps me focus as well as giving me that extra boost of energy.

Post-game is always the same. I unpack and hang up all my gear. Grab a few bottles of water, sometimes something lite to eat like a yogurt and plant myself in front of the TV with the heated back massager on low. I do this for a good three hours then I am off to bed.

I left a minor detail out of my post-game routine. Not something meant for a public forum, if you know what I mean. :snide:

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Eat something light a few hours before the game, like a sandwich or maybe just pasta and sauce. After the game, enjoy a beer or 4 with the boys in the parking lot. Head home, depending on how hungry and late it is, eat a snack and then hang up all the gear. My stretching is done during the pre-game warmups before faceoff.

Jason4

Mar 31, 2005
I eat about 4 hours before a game(anytime sooner and I get heartburn during the game), take a dump before I go to the rink.Drink gatorade while I'm getting dressed after Im completely dressed it never fails I have to pee(even If I just went) then while there Zaming the ice I strech on the bench,Then do a few laps on the ice followed by more streching.After the game drink beer.This is the routine I must follow before ever game or in my mind I will have a bad game.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I definitely noticed drinking water before a game (like 30 minutes before, a bottle or 2) that I had more energy in the game and didn't get as tired as fast. I'd definitely look into that. I'm going to try the persons idea of drinking Gatorade before a game though.

2x4*

Yea, Ill have to look into some stuff.

Right now Ive got to rest for our 1st game next week $$$

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
FLYLine88 said:
I definitely noticed drinking water before a game (like 30 minutes before, a bottle or 2) that I had more energy in the game and didn't get as tired as fast. I'd definitely look into that. I'm going to try the persons idea of drinking Gatorade before a game though.

i cramp if i do that

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
At our rink, we never stretch until the muscles are warmed up. Do some laps, some shots on goal, then stretch.

I hate stretching, anyway.

As for water, I drink quite a bit during the game, but I have been warned against it, the idea being that too much water in the belly (food too, for that matter, I guess) slows you down.

One guy on my team has experimented with alcohol before games, trying to determine how much you can safely drink before it begins to affect your performance. (No kidding! :shakehead )

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
It's not an official men's league game without postgame brews with the team in the locker room or parking lot, where we discuss the game, life, and other world problems.

Adiemus

May 6, 2006
Fixxer said:
I am thinking a light meal before the game, maybe some carbs like spaghetti with light sauce or something like that.

Uhhh havent tried it myself but after watching Band of Brothers I wouldn't eat spaghetti before doing sports. (First episode if you need a refresher of my reference)

I normally ate chicken and rice before I played sports. I believe Wade Boggs ate chicken before every baseball game he played in. If you can't drink gatorade have a bannana an hour before hand for the potassium.

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Please give me the inside word, based on your actual experience: do those Gatorade drinks help? How do you consume them: before the game, during, after?

How do they compare/differ to water?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad