PP and PK Stats

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Been wondering about this for a few years and assuming this info can't be gleaned anywhere but I wonder if it wouldn't be more interesting to see a team's success (or lack thereof) be expressed on a "by minutes" basis?

What I am getting at is that currently, these things are recorded "by opportunity", that is to say that if I go on the PP and don't score, I am 0/1. Problem with that is that I may have taken a penalty 10 seconds later, thus really never much had a PP. So what I would like to see is success rates as a function of time. Not sure how much difference it would make?

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I agree that this would be a more accurate & informative way of tracking/presenting this information. Unfortunately I don't think anyone tracks this.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have been thinking about this recently and I don't like it. I don't think that a Powerplay that is converted early in the 2 minutes is any more successful than a Powerplay that is converted late in the 2 minutes. This way a team that scored 59 seconds in is twice as successful as one that scored 1:58 seconds in. I just don't see it. A PP goal is a PP goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->