Power Play Troubles

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I would like to see this question answered if possible.

How many #1 overall picks, who scored 40+ goals in their rookie season and won the calder, didnt even see time on the teams first unit the next season?
how many of them are competing with Tyler "1 PPG" Bozak for powerplay time?

Reactions: weems

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Hopefully some of these roster decisions are being influenced with trying to keep trade value of certain vets.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I mean is it really even fair to compare Matthews offensive numbers to other stars in the league?

Matthews plays 2:14 of powerplay icetime per game.

Crosby 4:13
Stamkos 3:46
Tarasenko 4:17
McDavid 2:58
Kucherov 3:51
Kane 4:00
Eichel 3:35
Toews 3:42

Some of these guys seeing almost a full powerplay more per game.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Get Komarov off the PP. But more importantly is getting Marner and Nylander out of their funks. When they're on, we have 2 elite powerplay quarterbacks. When they're playing like dirt, it's no surprise that our PP is impotent. Everything runs through them on the right side wall.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Last year the Leafs were excellent at puck retrieval. This year average at best.
And hasn't it been a failed experiment with Marner at RHD on the PP. It has to beZaitsev or Nylander, or maybe even Carrick.
The confidence of the team seems to be sucked out of it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not sure about Marner on PP
Thats what i would change and get rid of Komo

He's one of our best play makers. I get that he's not exactly dominating right now but let's bring it down a notch here.

There are plenty things wrong with this team right now Marner on the PP is far from a problem.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The Leafs had like the second best PP in the league last year with a similar set up, and were top 10 again this season prior to the slump.

I don’t think any radical changes are needed yet. Part of the issue is Nylander and Marner who are slumping ... they’re the go-to options as the distributor with the puck but since they’re struggling it has allowed opposing teams to not worry about them as much which keeps them in position

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Let's put the blame where it belongs, Morgan Reilly is a dumpster fire on skates. He is on the powerplay for no good reason, when he isn't concussing our future by not paying any attention to what he is doing he is wearing a hole through the goalie's chest protector. The guy is a joke, we should accept that fact.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Since Matthews is not in I would flip Marner and Brown

PP1
JVR-bozak-Kadri-Brown-Rielly

Kadri is a good playmaker as well; have Brown take Kadri's spot on PP1 unit for the 2nd man in the spot and let Kadri, Rielly and Bozak make plays. JVR screens

PP2
Marleau-Nylander-Marner-Komarov-Gards

Let Marleau take the 2nd man spot near the net to bang in goals and let Marner, Nylande and Gards make plays. Komaorv screens

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I would like to see this question answered if possible.

How many #1 overall picks, who scored 40+ goals in their rookie season and won the calder, didnt even see time on the teams first unit the next season?

yea I will answer that question. The answer is Auston Matthews

;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad