Power Play Troubles

Ambassador Bridge

Apr 19, 2004
How to fix?

Cannot maintain pressure in the attacking zone. Puck is constantly shot back down into the Leafs zone.

Cannot even notice that the Leafs have an extra man on the ice.

Such struggles.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You have 2 guys on your top unit who are out to lunch (Bozak and Marner). I would drop them and replace them with Marleau and Nylander. And when Matthews comes back, I would replace Marleau with Matthews. Matthews-JvR-Kadri-Nylander-Rielly

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
There's an over-reliance on point shots and throwing pucks to the front of the net and hoping for the best. That can work with someone like JVR in front but these are usually low-percentage plays.

One thing they definitely aren't doing lately? Threading passes through the slot to get the goaltender moving. When was the last time you saw a Leaf drill an Ovechkin- or Stamkos-esque one-timer from around the hash marks? Of course, that isn't likely to happen when most Leaf forwards are allergic to taking slapshots, but they can still try to drift to open ice and take a quick snap shot when the opportunity arises. Instead we just get Rielly/Gardiner at the top of the umbrella sliding it to Marner/Nylander, who try to pass through a maze of sticks or fire a weak wrister into someone's legs. Getting the forwards moving around more to get the PKers out of position would help.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
You have 2 guys on your top unit who are out to lunch (Bozak and Marner). I would drop them and replace them with Marleau and Nylander. And when Matthews comes back, I would replace Marleau with Matthews. Matthews-JvR-Kadri-Nylander-Rielly

Replace 2 guys who are out to lunch with another guy who is out to lunch. 1 secondary assist in his last 7 games. Better off putting Hyman on the PP than Nylander right now.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
My ideal PP units:

Matthews-Kadri-Marleau
Rielly-Nylander

JVR-Bozak-Marner
Gardiner-Carrick

Having a 2nd dman on the 2nd unit stops Babs from making a pointless full line change with 20 seconds left in the power play just to get a 2nd dman on the ice to prepare for when the PP ends. The loaded 1st unit can play the first 1:30 and the 2nd unit can play the last 30 seconds and transition into even strength.

On the topic of special teams in general, Carrick coming in would mean Polak finally comes out, which would hopefully lead to Babs finally giving Borgman some PK time (which I think he can handle) and run 2 D units of Borgman-Zaitsev and Rielly-Hainsey, which saves Hainsey and Zaitsev from having to play the full 2 minutes.

And way off topic, at the deadline we should get Mike Green which would make that hypothetical 2nd unit way more effective if he replaces Carrick.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Bozak on the first PP over Matthews.

This seems like a genius move.

*Waits for someone to tell me how great of a PP we've had.

Yep we have and it prolly would be even better if we had one of the best goal scorers in the league on it over a very replaceable player in Bozak.

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Bozak on the first PP over Matthews.

This seems like a genius move.

*Waits for someone to tell me how great of a PP we've had.

Yep we have and it prolly would be even better if we had one of the best goal scorers in the league on it over a very replaceable player in Bozak.

Matthews plays the same amount of minutes on the PP as Bozak.Marner,etc

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Matthews plays the same amount of minutes on the PP as Bozak.Marner,etc

He also plays with guys like Leo Komarov on his unit and that isnt exactly optimal powerplay guys.

Why is Tyler freaking Bozak playing as much PP time as our franchise center and one of the very best goal scorers in the league?

How many #1 overall picks, 40+ goal scorer rookie season and Calder winner's havent even been on their teams first PP unit the following season?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Getting Komarov off the power play would help

Why this is still a thing is really confusing.

Dude has like 1 primary assist this season.

Guess we need that amazing net front presence lol

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
He also plays with guys like Leo Komarov on his unit and that isnt exactly optimal powerplay guys.

Why is Tyler freaking Bozak playing as much PP time as our franchise center and one of the very best goal scorers in the league?

How many #1 overall picks, 40+ goal scorer rookie season and Calder winner's havent even been on their teams first PP unit the following season?

Brown and Leo play the JVR (screen the goalie) role ...

his unit is:
  • Matthews
  • Nylander
  • Gardiner
  • Marleau
  • usually Brown and sometimes Leo

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Getting leo off the PP unit would help, Also it hurts when Matthews is out.. Our duo threat is gone, That pass across the slot to Nylander or Matthews is deadly

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Brown and Leo play the JVR (screen the goalie) role ...

his unit is:
  • Matthews
  • Nylander
  • Gardiner
  • Marleau
  • usually Brown and sometimes Leo

Whats your point? I know who he plays with on the PP.

Matthews is our best player and he doesnt even see first PP minutes (like every other star around the league mostly see's).

And the fact its at the expense of a guy like Bozak is extremely hilarious.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Whats your point? I know who he plays with on the PP.

Matthews is our best player and he doesnt even see first PP minutes (like every other star around the league mostly see's).

And the fact its at the expense of a guy like Bozak is extremely hilarious.

I think the Bozak unit is more successful than the Matthews unit and both units get equal time.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I would like to see this question answered if possible.

How many #1 overall picks, who scored 40+ goals in their rookie season and won the calder, didnt even see time on the teams first unit the next season?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I think the Bozak unit is more successful than the Matthews unit and both units get equal time.

And Bozak's unit would be even better if you swapped Bozak and Matthews.

You can always improve on things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad